So a friend of mine had a brilliant idea...

...to petition the gov't to keep assault weapons legal for the mentally competent but require owners/buyers to enlist in the army reserve and undergo all associated training. What do you think? I think it's a perfect "Thanatos gambit" (by TVTropes' definition). Think about it: either we discourage people from buying/owning assault weapons, or we ease our troop shortage. And all without any meaningful change to the current interpretation of the 2nd Amendment.

If you wanna sign, here's the link: [link] We only have until Feb. 17 to get the signatures needed for Obama to address it. Do your part!
Comments33
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Please read the Forum Posting Guidelines before posting as this does not encourage discussion and should be in your journal. :)

FAQ #801: Are there any rules for the Forums?

:lock:
but its very unconstitutional to require someone to enlist in a branch of the military OR give up one of there rights without activating a draft ... unfortunitly this would NEVER pass even with an all democratic house and senate
not to mention there is NO database of who owns assault weapons and searching every house or even if we knew who owned assault weapons going in to there house to take it away you might as well throw out the constution
unfortunitly even with a strict ban the weapons out there now will have to stay
i own assult weapons and im glad i do and i understand why one would but i believe that some things take president over ones fun or paranoid fears
i am not entirely for an all out assault weapons ban because of my own interpretation of the second amendment but something has to be done now and if an assault weapon ban would stop even a single mass shooting than thats enough for me to not buy another assault rifle
The brilliantist.
OH! Just fyi, this is the wrong section of the forums for this, [link] is more suited for this thread, but those guys would tear you limb from freakin limb.
I will have to agree with *Civyx on this one. That petition site is a joke, and shall never accomplish anything. You'd have more luck writing your congressman :|
The idea itself seems kinda militaristic, but, :iconapplejackderpplz: bleah, i'm brain dead right now, i just woke up...
i have to dissagree there ... if you get 100,000 signatures the white house has to respond when most congressman send back a "thank you" letter without even ever opening your letter and most never do
:iconoctaviashrugplz: It was somewhat just sarcasm.
oh lol X3 ok
This isn't a thread about reality shows, people.
:| welcome to deviantart. You say look left, they look South.
I'd like to watch a reality tv show where people dress up as super villains and do obstacle courses and rob stuff.
I have a better idea for a reality tv show :nod:

You get a group of Americans heavily armed in a desert island without food. Then we watch them kill each other, and feed on each other :evillaugh:

The surviver, can keep all the weapons, and gets an appartment in Washington Dc, close to the white house :aww:
My art class and I got this idea too. They should make a reality show called "Shrinks", where they get a huge mansion and invite a bunch of psychologists to live together in it, and they have to evaluate everyone else living there - but the catch is that every time they all leave, they make everything in the house 5% smaller and see what happens.
Would they know that the other people living in the house are also psychologists?
I don't know, we didn't go into that much detail. I don't think they would though. It's better entertainment that way.
I just realized a problem with that. What about doctor-patient confidentiality? Maybe that's why no-one has done a show like that.
Yes, but this is television.
The petitions on the whitehouse website dont get taken seriously. I remember the weed one was pretty much scoffed at. The one to label GMOs in food and the one to stop drone strikes were simply "archived" without ever having been answered even though they reached the goal....which they changed from 25k signatures to 100k signatures BTW.

The site exists just to make people THINK they are listening.
Oh wow your friend has the most original idea ever. Thank god for him. Not signed due to the fact people like you would get a gun.
As a matter of fact I have no intention of ever owning a gun.
BTW, you notice the scope of this petition is rather narrow, do you not?