Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
January 18, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 32

So a friend of mine had a brilliant idea...

:iconbabakosen:
BabakoSen Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
...to petition the gov't to keep assault weapons legal for the mentally competent but require owners/buyers to enlist in the army reserve and undergo all associated training. What do you think? I think it's a perfect "Thanatos gambit" (by TVTropes' definition). Think about it: either we discourage people from buying/owning assault weapons, or we ease our troop shortage. And all without any meaningful change to the current interpretation of the 2nd Amendment.

If you wanna sign, here's the link: [link] We only have until Feb. 17 to get the signatures needed for Obama to address it. Do your part!

Devious Comments

:icon3wyl:
3wyl Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Please read the Forum Posting Guidelines before posting as this does not encourage discussion and should be in your journal. :)

FAQ #801: Are there any rules for the Forums?

:lock:
:iconbiozz:
BiOzZ Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
but its very unconstitutional to require someone to enlist in a branch of the military OR give up one of there rights without activating a draft ... unfortunitly this would NEVER pass even with an all democratic house and senate
not to mention there is NO database of who owns assault weapons and searching every house or even if we knew who owned assault weapons going in to there house to take it away you might as well throw out the constution
unfortunitly even with a strict ban the weapons out there now will have to stay
i own assult weapons and im glad i do and i understand why one would but i believe that some things take president over ones fun or paranoid fears
i am not entirely for an all out assault weapons ban because of my own interpretation of the second amendment but something has to be done now and if an assault weapon ban would stop even a single mass shooting than thats enough for me to not buy another assault rifle
:iconrayum:
Rayum Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013
The brilliantist.
:iconhopeira9:
hopeira9 Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013
OH! Just fyi, this is the wrong section of the forums for this, [link] is more suited for this thread, but those guys would tear you limb from freakin limb.
I will have to agree with *Civyx on this one. That petition site is a joke, and shall never accomplish anything. You'd have more luck writing your congressman :|
The idea itself seems kinda militaristic, but, :iconapplejackderpplz: bleah, i'm brain dead right now, i just woke up...
i have to dissagree there ... if you get 100,000 signatures the white house has to respond when most congressman send back a "thank you" letter without even ever opening your letter and most never do
:iconoctaviashrugplz: It was somewhat just sarcasm.
oh lol X3 ok
:iconbabakosen:
BabakoSen Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
This isn't a thread about reality shows, people.
Add a Comment: