The Good Old Days

If you were granted a one week vacation anywhere in the world in any past decade, where and when would it be? And why?

Me: Paris, 1890's. I like fin de siècle, and would love to experience the decadence and degeneration that led to the world coming down in 1914. And I'd make sure to get my hands on a Toulouse-Lautrec or two.
Comments184
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I'd go back to the Era where The Pharaoh reigned supreme in ancient Egypt, to be one of their many kinky slaves. But some people try to deter me and tell me they weren't those kind of slaves. So I ask them, were you alive then? Didn't think so. Goodbye.
I suppose a slave was (and is) a slave, who - given some food now and then - could be used for whatever suits the owner :lol: - and some have probably been more kinky than others... :nod:

Did you know btw that the prime source of nutrition for egyptian slaves was onions...? There must at least have been a kinky odor of sweat, farts and onions...
It all sounds good until the part with the onions, that's a real deal breaker. :( time to find something new to want.
Yeah, the onions sort of ruined a beautiful illusion!

It's not kinky to realize, that the pharaoh's biggest expense (by far) was... onions. :no:
It's a sad realisation. I used to have a great respect for ancient Egypt but with the onion deal, I think it's just not possible to respect it anymore.
Throw your love on the ancient greeks, then. They drank wine and ate olives all the time - slightly more sophisticated!
Where I'm not really much of a drinker with alcohol, I do like grapes which are put in wine. And who doesn't like Greek mythology? Sounds like a Win-win to me.
View all replies
ill go back to the time of my ancestors so i can finally get their birthdates and deathdates right because every genealogy site i find has a different story for them (according to some, an ancestor was 3 when his son was born, and another died before his son was born)
:lol:

But why is that of such great interest to you...?
I recently discovered a direct relative who fled france in 1700 because he was a Huguenot, and i found this very interesting so i looked at his family tree. I have some of his ancestors, but all the birth and death dates are wrong. I want to know more because they were aristocrats back then.
Ok, that makes sense. I know about my heritage pretty well, because I descend (as directly as possible) from Martin Luther on my father's side, and prussian military nobility on my mother's side - it's all in the records. :D
I am directly related to a few men who were slightly famous (an attorney from the salem trials, a rich manufacturer in New York, the Huguenot and his grandson were somewhat known) but no one really famous like martin luther.
Being related to a famous person is of limited value, unless a fortune and/or estate goes with it - it's more of a fun thing to talk about, but I can understand the interest. :-) The advantage of being related to someone like Luther is, that the family tree for several centuries is (for one direction at least) accessible.
I loved learning how my family used to be rich and influential, but i can never talk about it around my stepmom because then she gets butthurt over the fact that my family had money while hers never did (truth is, the fortune disappeared during the depression and everyone who was around to still enjoy it before the crash has since died)
View all replies
The Columbian Exposition. Because awesome technological marvels everywhere you look, impressive architecture, late 1800s culture all over the place, a giant ferris wheel, and the morbid excitement of a rabid serial killer. :dummy:
I can imagine there would be quite an exiting mood in the air.

I'd like to experience London by gaslight...
Well, there'd be fogy weather, well-suited gentlemen, and shit. Shit everywhere.
And we love it!

There would be a certain serial killer as well, at some point. I'd like to know his identity.
You and a few hundred of Scotland Yard's finest.
Alexrandria, The Library of. Before it was destroyed.
Fascinating choice! :nod: Remember to bring a camera!
Well, since going backwards in time will inevitably get me lynched, put into slavery, beaten, or killed, I guess I'd go to the 1990s and relive that. And I'd go to a deserted island or something. Actually, we went to Britain in the 1990s; I guess I'd go back there because that was pretty cool. :nod:
Interesting thoughts - and they make sense. Let's just imagine you have some kind of divine immunity - would that make you consider something more exotic? :-)