Closed to new replies
January 14, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 61

Your Enneagram Type?!

:iconpseudolonewolf:
Pseudolonewolf Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
The ENNEAGRAM is a personality system thing that uses 9 NUMBERED TYPES!
Learning about it has enriched my life a lot, so I want to share it with people.

Each of the 9 types has its own characteristics, but it'd take too long to describe them here.

They come in three clumps:
- (8, 9, 1) are 'guts' types;
- (2, 3, 4) are 'heart' types;
- (5, 6, 7) are 'mind' types.
EACH PERSON HAS THREE TYPES - one from each group - ordered by their importance.

Furthermore, each type is 'flavoured' by an adjacent type called a WING.
For example, type 1 comes in two variations; 1w2 (1 with a 2 wing), and 1w9.

The end result is something like 1w9-4w5-6w7.
That'd mean that person was mostly defined by 9-flavoured type 1, but they'd also have aspects of a 5-flavoured type 4 and a 7-flavoured type 6.

I, uh, suppose it's FAIRLY COMPLICATED! o_O

You can get an idea of your primary type here: [link] (Scroll down to the questions!)
Or your 'tritype' here: [link]
And you can read about each type in more detail here: [link]

I hope at least one person gets something out of this!!
I'd love to hear what types people got from those tests and stuff! Or which ones they can most relate to.

I'm 4w5-5w4-9w1 myself, and understanding this has explained so very, very much about myself, my behaviour, and my life as a whole.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconveskavision:
Veskavision Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Student Writer
Perhaps I did something wrong... the test told me I'm a 5, but not about any other numbers :O
Pseudolonewolf Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I linked to two tests; the first one gives you an idea of your primary type, but the second one gives you an idea of your full tritype thing.
:iconveskavision:
Veskavision Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Student Writer
aah, I get it now!
This is my "trifix": 5w6, 1w9, 3w2

It's surprisingly accurate!
:iconfloppyflop:
Floppyflop Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student General Artist
I am a female and a 2. It is very tough I just gotta say.
:iconpaperlemon:
PaperLemon Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
Oh gosh enneagram I love you.
3w2 here. My high drive to impress and to be liked/useful is the reason why.
:iconroguishbard:
RoguishBard Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Trifix is 6w5, 2w3, 9w1.

Type 6 with a 5 wing, "The Defender".

Pretty accurate! :dance:

And dinnae mind the trolls. We know this quiz is just for funsies.
:icondivine--apathia:
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
It's bullshit. I answered the answers as geninunely, and their evaluation of me is far off.
Pseudolonewolf Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
The tests give only a vague idea at best. Many other factors come into play that the tests just can't account for. They do seem to work for most people though.
:iconstripedpower:
StripedPower Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013   Digital Artist
You're supposed to get an evaluation from a professional, or self-evaluate by looking into the theory. Most online tests are going to be innacurate and just for fun. :p
I've had tests like this also done by professionals.They told me I was trying break the test :roll:
I forgot to put "" in "professional".

But really? :lol: What did you do?
I said that the answers equally do not suit me.

(They asked me if I thought I was laid back and thoughtful or spontaneous and energetic. I said that I couldn't answer that because I can be either, depending on context.

They asked me if I thought that I was introverted or extroverted and I said I am ambivalent.

They then told me I was just being difficult :shrug:
Yeah, I wouldn't call such person a professional.

It is said that you have all the qualities from each type, but some are naturally going to be more prominent, with one being the dominant. Although "professional" advice is helpful, you're the one who has the final word. :shrug:
*inaccurate
:iconjade-abarai-kat:
Jade-Abarai-Kat Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
i scored highest on type two
:icontheworldisbehindus:
theworldisbehindus Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Meh, I took it and it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. I scored highest on Type Four (The Individualist).

Although reading those type descriptions is giving me some ideas for characters in a story I'm writing. Although I don't think that was the intention of whoever created this thing XD
I personally find that knowing about personality types like this allows me to write interesting characters who aren't like me but who still make sense! Or I would if I ever tried to come up with any characters... It is a useful tool for that purpose, anyway.
:iconpriteeboy:
priteeboy Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
On the other thread I was an INTJ, and on this I was primarily a type 6 (which I got 7 points in) closely followed by 1 and 3 (each with 6 points) :nod: By contrast I scored a mere 1 point on types 2, 7 and 8 :thumbsdown:
Each time I take the test it gives me different results. It seems to gravitate towards 8w7 and 7w8.
I've taken other tests before and looked into the theory, and I can identify myself with them, but I'm not sure which one is my type. :p
:iconscottahemi:
ScottaHemi Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
6 had the highest, 5 second highest, 1 and 8 tie for third.

some of those questions where weird to answer...
:iconscottahemi:
ScottaHemi Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
5w6, 1w9, 4w5
:iconsolum-ipsum:
Solum-Ipsum Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
5 here. Thanks.
:iconterminallybored:
terminallybored Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
got type 6 which suggests I'm a clingy type who needs to constantly rely on others for emotional support to get by >:I Which is not like me at all.
Where did you read that...? That's not what I've read about type 6; I'd be more likely to apply that description to type 2.
One of the interesting things about type 6 to me is that their security-consciousness can manifest in such different ways; some avoid monsters by locking themselves away in their house, others take up a sword and hunt the monsters before they have a chance to be hurt by them. Uh, not literally, I mean. But there's a lot of variety for that type, based around a similar deep-rooted drive!

Other factors come into play like these things called 'instinctual variants', and Myers-Briggs types, so the descriptions of each enneagram type can't fit every person of that type in every detail, unfortunately.
:iconinkedalivebycolors:
Inkedalivebycolors Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Judging from your test, you're simple minded and easily herded to believe a simple test or statics can determine a person's personality.
Incredulous responses like this are as much fun as a biology professor hearing "my grandfather wasn't a monkey!!" or "something can't come from nothing!!" for the bajillionth time... Sigh. Frustrating, mind-numbing, and pointless.

These personality types 'determine' someone's personality in the same way that the word 'female' determines someone's appearance; it may play a big part in the general shape, but in no way does it attempt to define every detail. Two women aren't going to be clones, but there are enough similarities in their appearance for the word 'woman' to actually have some useful meaning.

The tests themselves give a vague idea of someone's type at best; it takes deep and detailed reading about the models on a conceptual level before you can really learn your type (unfortunately).
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
You sure showed me.
Good. Now gtfo of this town boy.:iconnogodnoplz:
:iconbullet-magnet:
Bullet-Magnet Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
5w6, 1w2, 3w2 Which makes me a scientist with a principled sense of right and wrong and a concern for the welfare of others. Which is me. These tests always land me with the same basic personality as Darwin and Einstein. Though it also makes me wonder if they aren't like horoscopes, sufficiently vague that they would apply to anyone.
They aren't sufficiently vague as to apply to everyone, because I know that of the nine types, type 4 describes me so well that I was essentially moved to tears, 5 fits 'quite well', 9 and 1 'sort of fit', 2, 3, 6, and 7 'don't really fit me at all', and I find type 8 really repellent and it's the opposite of my personality, if anything. If they were all vague and horoscopey, I'd probably have felt "oh, uh, I can *sort of* see how that fits me?" about all of them.
I find that several seem to fit me. But what concerns me most is the heavy reliance on Freud. Freud dominated the field of psychology for decades, and held the field back incalculably. His theories have been completely discredited.
What's this got to do with Freud? I've been using and studying the enneagram for months in great detail, and as far as I know, it has nothing to do with him or his ideas. I'm rather confused as to where you got that from.
You own links, man! [link]
Did you actually read what you linked to? It seems like someone's trying to combine Freudian theory and the enneagram; not that the enneagram is born from Freud's work.

If you search for the word 'Freud' on the wikipedia page for the enneagram - [link] - you get 0 results.
Bullet-Magnet Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013
Oh right. Well it read that way to me.

I've come off as way more critical than I intended. I was voicing my concerns that extend to psychology in general: that it's evidential base is not as solid as, say, physics. There are loads of different personality tests, but none of them seem to do the trick as evidenced by the need to invent more. But they do fascinate me. Have you done the Kinsey one?
I find personality types to be useful in the same way that music genres are; they're not an exact science, but they allow you to communicate a lot of information briefly, and to find others who fall into categories that you're interested in.

In my experience, the different models - like Myers-Briggs or the Enneagram - describe different aspects of personalities; none of are supposed to explain *everything* about a person, and they can be used together. Sort of like how race and sex describe aspects of appearance; "a caucasian man" gives a more defined picture than "a human", but it certainly doesn't give a complete picture, nor is it meant to.

I looked up this Kinsley thing, and it's something to do with sexual orientation...? Is that what you meant? It's not massively interesting to me, since my sexual orientation isn't something I think much about or doubt, but, uh, it told me I'm heterosexual? Surprise, surprise.
(1 Reply)
:iconartificialphantom:
ARTificialphanTOM Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I took the test and it told me I'm a 0v0. So that must mean I'm an owl.
:iconnatsumoka:
natsumoka Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I don't really get how the scores and types work, but I

got a 6 on type 4, 6, 9.
5 on type 1, 5.
If that's from the first test, then I wonder whether the second one would give you a result like, uh... 6w5-4w5-9w1 or something like that!
Hmm, "Your trifix is 5w6, 3w2, 9w1."

Interesting.
Interesting indeed! I wasn't far off, but that 3w2 in the middle there is particularly interesting because you didn't mention getting very high scores for 3 OR 2 in the first test!

Did you read the descriptions for each of those types the second test gave you at the end? Do you think they fit you at all?!
The 3 part kinda fits, but the 2 part is off.
I'd fit the "driven for success" and "workaholic" part, don't really fit the "confident" and "desire to help people" part, and definitely not the "charming and outgoing" part.

Also, I don't get the hate for these stuff. It's not like horoscope which is just random to me (I don't see any logical reasoning behind having a set personality based on birth dates). This is psychology. And interesting.
It's frustrating when people compare things like this to astrology, because things like this try to classify observations and trends, while astrology claims a link between completely unrelated things... They're not remotely similar concepts, but I suppose many people have a knee-jerk reaction to things. It gets frustrating when I try and share it with other people, when some don't even try to give it a chance.

Might that 3w2 work better as 3w4? 4 is about being withdrawn, emotionally sensitive, feeling different, caring about identity, things like that. Though if the 2 or 4 is just a 'wing' in the middle of the three types, it's probably not going to show itself much anyway; it's just there because every person's tritype has to include a type from each of the three groups, and each type needs to have at least one wing. Sometimes the wing is very small and withered, probably!

Hmm, sort of like a DRAGONwCAT might be a dragon with cat ears or something; the cat element is there, but it's not obvious or overpowering!
And something like, uh, EAGLEwDRAGON-DRAGONwCAT-SHARKwWOLF isn't going to have much cat in it at all... It'd be obviously seen as a menacing bird instead! Yes!
:iconkarobeans:
KaroBeans Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
I'm an 8 :dummy:
:iconthegroovymurphy:
TheGroovyMurphy Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I have an easier, less comlicated system. There's three types of people for me. People I like, people I don't like and people I don't care about.

:dummy:
:iconmorthax:
Morthax Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Sounds like complete bullshit to me.
Now THAT'S incredulity. My, what fun.
:iconsonotcooldude:
SoNotCoolDude Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
I just did it:

Type 1: 4
Type 2: 1