Closed to new replies
January 11, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 62

Important life lessons everyone needs to learn

:iconkarmapunch:
KarmaPunch Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013
My ILL: Self-confidence isn't all it's cracked up to be.
Everyone knows that self-confident people can't take criticism, are aggressive towards people and flout authority at every opportunity. Bullies, chavs, assholes, abusive people in general, they all have self-confidence. So don't tell me that self-confidence is a good thing, because it's not; it's the worst thing a person can have, I've always said this.
That's why women always end up in abusive relationships, because they want guys with self-confidence (and that's because of Ignorant Lesbians International always demonizing "nice guys").
If you think being self-confident is the meaning of life, then go on, do it. But expect to lose all your friends because you're such an insufferable dick, because that's exactly what self-confidence does to you; it makes you a selfish snob who thinks he's better than everybody else and that the world revolves around him (and don't tell me this isn't true, because you come across people like that every day).

---

Now that that one's settled...
Do you have an important life lesson that everybody needs to learn? Share here.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconjphyper:
Jphyper Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
Don't be afraid to be a little childish once in a while. Only children are afraid of people thinking of them as childish.
:iconjphyper:
Jphyper Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
Pressed "Add Comment" too soon, but now I forgot where I was going with that. Oh well; I guess it says enough by itself...
:iconthisomessedup:
ThISoMessedUp Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
There are many things I have learnt in my 20 years on this earth.

1. Everyone is going to screw you over.
2. Things happen for a reason, and if they don't, it just isn't meant to be and something better is waiting.
3. Karma is a bitch.
4. If you are waiting for something to happen, you'll be waiting a long time.
5. It's the choices that make us who we are.
6. Never let your heart rule your head if you can help it, unless they agree.
7. Never plan life out. Thing's will happen when they're ready.
:iconchrisravensar:
chrisravensar Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
truely self confident people are not what you describe, bullies and arogant people are proble the least self confedent people.
That said the most important lesson people need is to learn the difference between what they need and what they want.
:iconplasticusforkus:
PlasticusForkus Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
My ILL: never stop thinking, re-thinking, reviewing and learning.

So when you possess a completely flawed idea or logic, you have the self-criticism and awareness to review and alter it.
:iconsonotcooldude:
SoNotCoolDude Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
Isn't that MCP?
:iconkoutathecreator:
KoutaTheCreator Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Student Digital Artist
:iconsuspiciousplz: What was described above doesn't sound like self confidence.
:iconvanhir:
Vanhir Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Being self-confident doesn't make you an arrogant arsehole. You dingus.
:iconpriteeboy:
priteeboy Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well, since enough people have lectured you on the confidence thing already, I'll just add my own answers and hope others do the same since I think it will generate some interesting responses :blahblah:

Not quite a lesson, but I think everyone should be made to do a "crap job" at least once, preferably a few times throughout their life. Even if it's just one or two weeks every 5-10 years, just to help people retain at least some respect for typically undesirable jobs that are much more important than people think. Maybe people would care more about not-littering if they had to clean up trash other people carelessly dumped on the ground for a week. Maybe people eating out at restaurants will be a little more patient and understanding about why their order is taking so long when they're slaving in a hot kitchen trying to feed 200 people every hour. In fact I would say this is especially necessary with people in elite jobs who lost touch with the common working man. So easy for them to have a smug grin complementing their clean suit in the company CEO photo when they get paid four times as much as their employees who spend all day cleaning floors, carting heavy crap around or copping abuse from whiny customers just so they can in 15 years time fully pay off their house.
:iconshininginthedarkness:
Have you seen people who think they're too good to do crap jobs, but still have to do them? They just get smugger and more self-superior :stare:

This might work for some people, but there are others on whom lessons in humility will just be completely lost.
:iconpriteeboy:
priteeboy Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I think that smugness and superiority is made worse by the fact they are pissed off they have to do it though ;p

It's fair enough if its justified. If they have an amazing talent or skill that they could be profiting off with a nicer job but never got the chance to do so and so they have to work at McDonald's, you can understand why they would be pissed off. Many people are forced to work in jobs below their skill and capabilities because it's the only window open (after job - jobs aren't just about what you can do, it's about even getting a chance to prove it). I'm not saying they have to enjoy doing such jobs, but at least have some respect for those who do. How long would people last if fast food restaurants stopped serving customers, or if cleaners stopped scrubbing other people's piss and shit off public toilet seats :ohnoes:
:iconstripedpower:
StripedPower Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013   Digital Artist
Hello, !PsycheLock. :wave:
:iconnosugarjustanger:
nosugarjustanger Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
HAH! That's the troll! I believe that it's the same one. :lol:
I don't believe it, I KNOW it. :B
It's uncanny, isn't it? :lol:

Fucking idiot.
He says he wasn't bullied. But he must have suffered from some kind of emotional trauma to believe this shit.

Either that, or he's a troll with too much free time in his hands. :stare:
Too much free time, for sure. See, he's got time to make a new account :D
If I'm not wrong, this is his third or fourth account. His past one was !i-was-so-blind, according to my informants.
Holy cow, I don't know it went a long way back. :lol:
(1 Reply)
:iconcarusmm:
carusmm Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Don't listen to assholes.
:iconengelsblau:
Engelsblau Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
You sound butthurt. That what you're describing isn't self-confidence, it's the lack of it and trying to fix insecurities.
Seriously, next time you should inform yourself better than jumping into wild conclusions. Because right now, you look like an idiot.

Sources: Life, Other people
:iconmoonylady:
moonylady Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
That what you're describing isn't self-confidence, it's the lack of it and trying to fix insecurities. I coudn't agree more.
:iconx666nightmare666x:
x666NiGhTmArE666x Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
Self-confidence isn't as bad as you make it out to be.
:iconempiredice:
empiredice Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
Would be perfectly accurate if we replace "self-confident" with "insecure." Genuinely self-confident (read: secure) people never lash out. Why would they? They're not threatened by anything because they're comfortably secure. You're making the same mistake as the women who end up in abusive relationships, confusing aggression with confidence. Blaming lesbians is just bad on your part; so-called nice guys don't need anyone to demonize them, they're doing a fantastic job of earning that all by themselves. People want to date people who are secure for the same reason they want a house instead of a studio, it's a good long term investment that means you can live comfortably enjoying the greater benefits.

So, my life lesson for you? What you say about others in just a few words says volumes about you.
:icondanium:
Danium Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
That :devvilsyndicatemember: will try to have sex with you, no matter what gender or the fact you may have been dead for quite some time.
:iconprincess-amy:
Princess-Amy Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Self confidence is for those who know they are awsome
:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013   Digital Artist
Look, another "nice guy" that got rejected, and lashes out, revealing how much of an asshole he really was.
Go you.
:iconengelsblau:
Engelsblau Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
Exactly what I was thinking...
Haha, I am with you.

Besides, OP sounds just like this troll who baawwwed about being bullied and said that confidence makes people bullies. I bet it's the same troll.
siantjudas Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013   Digital Artist
It would seem likely.
KarmaPunch Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
No, I'm not. I only said that in passing. Have some common sense.
siantjudas Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013   Digital Artist
Sure you were. The only people who make the "nice guy" complaint, are guys who got rejected, and can't accept it.
:iconaapis:
Aapis Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Professional Interface Designer
Important life lesson: "chav" is a stupid word. All British people should stop using it immediately.
:iconunknownsingularity:
UnknownSingularity Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I think people with low self confidence an issues are the ones that "try
hard to show off" behaving like bullies and assholes. They just make a fool of themselves :slow:
:iconscyoni:
Scyoni Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I understand the viewpoint, but at the same time I think this opinion stems from something else.

Sometimes I feel that way, but then I realize that I'm making excuses to dislike myself. I used to be a very confident person until I had a disagreement with a project team. After that I completely blamed myself for things falling apart, because everyone seemed to take the other side of the argument - and I decided everyone had ditched me for liking my own work, and that confidence I used to have must have caused the whole thing. Which, for the record, isn't true - things are never that simple.

Confidence isn't a terrible thing, it's like every other part of life and needs to be taken in moderation. I like to think that there's a scale for confidence. If you have none, then you tend to be depressed and hate yourself because you don't think you have any value - if you have TOO MUCH then you get to be egotistical, unrealistic, and annoying. If you balance things out, then you can live your life and function properly among other people :) but there's no perfect amount. Everyone is different.
Yikes! So what ended up happening with that team?
:iconscyoni:
Scyoni Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Most of them are on here, so I'm not going to get into details - but things were very drama-drama-drama with a lot of them, and it got in the way of the work. I ended up having to take a break, and was invited to never come back to the project.

Personal relationships and the kind of drama most people see in highschool were involved with a lot of it where they shouldn't have been, and nobody was communicating well enough to keep the whole team on the same page. People started getting at each other behind their backs, and it's very difficult to do anything collaboratively when things are like that. Apparently it's also hard to forgive someone for needing a break from it.

I got clinically depressed for something like two years and I'm still having a lot of problems believing anything I do is valid when the others are doing fantastic and I'm in the back corner of obscurity somewhere between unknown and unimportant, but I've come to the point where I can't keep obsessing over it. I'm not sure of myself, but I'm willing to put in the work and try things - which is more than a lot of other people do in the arts. Just gotta do my best now. :)
:iconknightster:
Knightster Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013
Your viewpoint on confidence is flawed.
But you can't see that so carry on thinking you're right.
:iconopiumrooster:
opiumrooster Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
funny cause he seems to be confident in his opinion despite its flawed logic.

i was hoping to point this out to him for a major-burn but he blocked me. the fuck.
:iconknightster:
Knightster Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
You got blocked? :lol:

Guess stating the obvious was just too much for him.
:iconinkedalivebycolors:
Inkedalivebycolors Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Yeah asshole read a book dumbass.
:iconpakaku:
Pakaku Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
Dumbasshole
:iconinkedalivebycolors:
Inkedalivebycolors Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Dumbass munch.
:iconbeavisjr:
Beavisjr Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013
"My ILL: Self-confidence isn't all it's cracked up to be.
Everyone knows that self-confident people can't take criticism, are aggressive towards people and flout authority at every opportunity. Bullies, chavs, assholes, abusive people in general, they all have self-confidence. So don't tell me that self-confidence is a good thing, because it's not; it's the worst thing a person can have, I've always said this."

So this was pretty much the topic over how people cannot take criticism and act as an ass and so on, when honestly every one has this problem. this is no news i mean honestly we are all insecure of one thing at the least, and se all have self-esteem and self-confidence issues. every one does, your so called 'thread' seems rather like you wanted to put some thing out of what is knowned, ex: 'every one has a gender omfg'
Of course women get into "abusive relationships" because they want to be knowned for their selves and when they find the person who does of course they will have issues, and i think every one has ADD and that 'ADHD' is just what parrents use to their pathetic excuses of "when my kid couldn't do his homework i knew he had ADHD" no your child couldn't do their fucking homework cause you didn't want to put YOUR fucking foot down, and apparently if some one else does to your child to stop then its considered abuse. any how as i was originally saying:
Every one has issues, mostly over them selves.
If you think being self-confident is the meaning of life, then go on, do it. But expect to lose all your friends because you're such an insufferable dick, because that's exactly what self-confidence does to you; it makes you a selfish snob who thinks he's better than everybody else and that the world revolves around him (and don't tell me this isn't true, because you come across people like that every day).
And so are you this piece of selfish sob fucking ass hole who thinks that they can 'demand' people to do their lives, you are no different from what you just said you ignorant fucking sob who has a small fucking penis having issues cause no one wants to be with you and your 'self issues' cause you do this hypocritical shit.
Your reply is more likely going to be filled with 'fixings' of my 'misspells' which i do do on purposely. So don't even bother ttrying 2 even repli cuz u r hvin a invlid pont.
Just for the record, I think you're being VERY unfair.
:iconpakaku:
Pakaku Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013
The ghosts from Pac Man are all programmed differently. One chases you, one predicts where you'll go, one runs away from you, and one runs around randomly.
:icondevere:
deVere Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013
I honestly believe that you can be self-conscious without being an asshole. But a lot of people who show excessive amounts of it are often covering up for massive insecurity - because they feel their position somehow is threatened.
:icon0rg:
0rg Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013
I'm so tired, so very tired
:iconjuliabohemian:
Juliabohemian Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013
Actually studies have shown that people who bully are more than likely to be suffering from low self esteem, hence the need to degrade others.
Add a Comment: