Closed to new replies
January 11, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 115

Ask An Albino Anything!

:iconhanajima-uchiha:
HANAJIMA-UCHIHA Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013
I'm writing an article about albinism from a personal perspective.

Ask my anything about albinism, it will give me some ideas as to what I should include in the article. (I will still answer your question here)

You can note me your question if you're embarrassed for any reason.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmetalhartrockandroll:
metalhartrockandroll Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013
Alright, here are some questions:

1: Why is your hood white? Most ninja wear black to blend into the night. Do you live in a snowy area?
2: If I were to eat your heart would I gain your powers?
3: You don't look like any of the albinos I've ever seen.
HANAJIMA-UCHIHA Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013
Here are some answers:

1. My hood is white because I'm albino.
2. No one's ever eaten my heart before, so I can neither say "yes" or "no" to your question.
3. You're going to have to elaborate. If you are referring to the red-eye thing, I am going to copypasta from a previous answer:

"No albino truly has red eyes.

Most albinos will have a very pale blue or gray eyes if they have OCA1 or OCA2 albinism. Albinos with OCA3 and OCA4 may have blue, green, or hazel eyes.

The idea of red-eyed albinos came from where people have most seen albinos, in photographs. In photographs, albinos will almost always have red-eyes from the camera.

There are times when albinos may have a red-tint to their eyes from the lack of pigmentation, but it is never a straight-up red color."
:iconmetalhartrockandroll:
metalhartrockandroll Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013
I still don't know why your hood is white. Is it related to your albinism or is it just how people dress where you live?

Also, I have definitely met albinos with visibly red eyes. That's normal, it's explained easily. I've definitely seen that in real life.
As I said, it must be a red tint, and that tint is only possible with those who have OCA1 albinism. I myself have OCA2 albinism.

As for the hood, it's for religious reasons. We're supposed to cover up everything that's why I wear it. I just chose to wear white that day because it would go with the white undershirt I was wearing, but I have hoods in ever color of the rainbow.
:iconfalseshepherd:
FalseShepherd Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Where can I get my own Albino?

Preferably smaller than 5,7" and red eyes are a must. Other than that they need to be bi-polar, or able to become.
HANAJIMA-UCHIHA Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013
Try here ---> [link]
:iconlilibodett:
Lilibodett Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Do you come from Prussia? Prussia was known for albinos.
No, I am from Syria.
:iconlilibodett:
Lilibodett Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Cool! I never chatted with someone from the middle east before! :D
:iconqihah:
Qihah Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013
they're white. too white.
and albino's in africa get killed to make charms or something like that.
HANAJIMA-UCHIHA Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013
Not to make charms, but because some people there think eating the parts of an albino can cure HIV/AIDS or lead to immortality.
:iconfalseshepherd:
FalseShepherd Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
It's silly, really. And the most of them believe one person pointing it out most of the time...it's a real shame. :(
:iconmisterturtle:
MisterTurtle Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013
Ticks suck blood. Do you suck blood?
I'm not a tick, so no, but I do have this tendency to suck the souls of people around me.
:iconcleo-da-meerkat:
Cleo-DA-Meerkat Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
* #TrueBlueAsylum that is... derp
Can't tell if just advertising or telling me to get back to work.

:iconfryragefaceplz:
Cleo-DA-Meerkat Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
D'you like working for :dev: ? :XD:

Do you glow in the dark?
Ah, this explains the previous post.

Yes, I do love it. It's a blast. Why else would I have stayed for so long?

And yes, I do glow in the dark.
Cleo-DA-Meerkat Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Yay! And it's a pleasure to have you around. :D

I didn't mean to advertise I just thought it was an weird/amusing question to ask! ^^

Awesome!
HANAJIMA-UCHIHA Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013
Yes! Someone enjoys having me around. XD
:iconsaxeh:
saxeh Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I always thought you albinos are a negative vampires.
Nothing to ask , just to add that there is an opposite of albinism , melanism [link]
:iconpenhuin:
Penhuin Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I suffer from severe albinism and reading through these comments it's come to my attention that you find having this disease (yes, disease) "fun". In my lifetime I've already suffered from a form of skin cancer, received second degree sunburns bad enough to scar me. I've also been the target of racism from my peers (of all races including my own). My eyesight is terrible, blinding me in the left eye and also leaving me 85% color blind. My digestion is poor, sometimes even the simplest touch will cause me pain. I rarely go out in the sun (I live in Nevada and staying out of the sun is very difficult). Most people can't even look me in the eye.

Despite the extra attention (positive or not) why do YOU like it because honestly, I'd rather be like my people. I'm Cherokee and I want to look Cherokee.

I'm not saying I hate having this, seeing how it's not the worst possible thing I could have but it's not enjoyable in my world.
HANAJIMA-UCHIHA Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
Well, I guess it's just a matter of external influences.

If you read from my other comments, I DO suffer GREATLY from it too. I share your pain in that I also have incredibly poor digestion. I randomly develop intolerances and allergies to food, making it very difficult for me to digest anything, and I developed and allergy to gluten, limiting my already small list of digestible foods. I have to take a combination of Ondansetron and Dicycolmine medications to keep food down, otherwise my body starts starving itself.

The Ondansetron prevents the production of serotonin, the hormone that causes nausea, and literally makes it impossible to throw up. The Dicyclomine prevents intestinal spasms, and stops me from feeling the pain of digestion, though it causes awful awful heart palpitations. The first palpitations I had were so bad, I went to the ER because I genuinely thought I was having a heart attack, but I have to take these medicines in order to eat. There are days where the only thing my stomach can handle is sips of coconut water, even with the medications.

I too have failing vision and have lost my vision in my right eye and now my vision in the left is starting to go too. I have special sunglasses I have to wear in order to go outside, though I do not have any form of color-blindness.

I also have prescription sunscreen I have to wear to go outside, even if for a moment. Because of my religion, I can not show any skin in the first place, and I pinpoint this as the reason I have yet to develop any kind of cancer, though I have developed sunburns which landed me in the hospital and have also scarred me. I live in California, and my home town is Damascus, Syria, so I know what its like to be stuck somewhere where the sun never stops shining.

But I still find it enjoyable from the cultural perspective.

In Arabia, the albinism gene is something desired. People want the extreme paleness of all the features for themselves and for their family, that combined with how rare the births are make it something to be proud of.

As I'm sure you know, arabs have arranged marriages, and my parents' marriage was arranged from the reason of trying to produce an albino child. My mother's father was albino, and my father's grandmother was albino. From my father's side of the family, the tree goes back almost five hundred year, with albinos popping up the whole time, but no albinos had been born into the family for four generations now, so my father's parents looked to find him an albino wife, but when the couldn't find one, they settled for the next best thing, an albino's daughter.

My older sister does not have albinism, neither does my younger brother. I get a lot of attention from my family for it, and as a child I was allowed to do more (even though I was a girl) because my family did not have the heart to tell me no.

As an adult now, I get a lot of attention from arabs of the opposite gender because of it.

I don't know the Cherokee perspective on it, but arabs are all over it.

Now, it's not all good. I have been called mean things for it from other races, but not from my own. I've been called monster, witch, ghost, demon, various culture-specific evil spirits, you name it, but I have also been called good things such as angel and saint, and was treated as such.

I don't know about Nevada, but people in California are very nice about the albinism thing and are often curious. They will stop me on the street to ask questions and I have been asked to pose for pictures with random people on the street many times.

But being albino has actually also saved me from being called racist things. My siblings are made fun of for being arab and dark-skinned, but because my hair is covered, I am sometimes mistaken for being a paler-than-usual American. When 9/11 happened, I was truly lucky to be albino. Other arabs were beaten on the streets and faced so many racial insults, but I received practically none.

I guess it comes down to glass half-empty/half-full kind of thing.

Yes, I am suffering from it, I assure you that, but there is a lot of good to it (in my culture at least) that I choose to focus on instead. My family really cares for me and will go out of their way to ease my suffering.

Yes, my food is very restricted, but it keeps me eating healthy and feeling healthy.

Yes, I can't go outside, but it forces me to come up with new ways to entertain myself and has helped me improve my writing 100-fold.

I'm sorry to hear that it's not as enjoyably for you, but I hope you can find something you like about it.

I don't know if it means anything to you, but if you ever need support from a fellow albino, you can always come talk to me.
Penhuin Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Amazing how cultural differences affect how we see things. My people are tolerable of my albinism, my great grandmother thinks I was touched by the spirits and was made this way for some unknown reason. My name itself is White Buffalo. Unlike you albinism doesn't run in my family so I had to deal with it alone.
:iconkooborisapphire:
KooboriSapphire Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Student General Artist
Lemme rephrase:

Whats so fun about being albino?
All the extra attention and standing out in public.
Nothing. I have albinism and it's a curse to me.
What makes it a curse?
I'm blind in my left eye, 85% colorblind. I've already suffered through skin cancer and I've gotten scars from sunburns. I'm also Native American so I stand out from my people a lot. The racism towards me has been horrible, especially when I was a teenager. It hasn't been an enjoyable experience for me and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
Wow, that's awful. But ugh, I cannot believe how low-life some people truly are with the racism. What wonders their parents taught them.
Nothing good.
What about being albino makes it so fun?
:icon0rg:
0rg Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
You don't have red eyes.
No albino truly has red eyes.

Most albinos will have a very pale blue or gray eyes if they have OCA1 or OCA2 albinism. Albinos with OCA3 and OCA4 may have green or hazel eyes.

The idea of red-eyed albinos came from where people have most seen albinos, in photographs. In photographs, albinos will almost always have red-eyes from the camera.

There are times when albinos may have a red-tint to their eyes from the lack of pigmentation, but it is never a straight-up red color.
:iconlindsayloft:
lindsayloft Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
is it fun being an Albino?
HANAJIMA-UCHIHA Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
LOTS OF FUN!
:iconlindsayloft:
lindsayloft Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
cool(:
:iconeasle-darkpaws:
Easle-Darkpaws Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Do you Have White Hair and Red eyes????
Red eyes are a misconception.

Albinos will generally have very pale blue eyes or grey eyes. Their eyes may be tinted red from the lack of pigmentation, but we do not have straight-up red eyes.

For the hair, yes. It does darken over time, so it is still blonde, but not wall-white as it was when I was born.
:iconeasle-darkpaws:
Easle-Darkpaws Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
OOoooo AWESOME! I want one now ^^
:iconknightster:
Knightster Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
Are you double souless?
I mean, since gingers don't have souls, albino's are like one step further right?
No, but since it's one step further from gingers, we have the ability to suck out people's souls.
:iconsoda-with-cyanide:
soda-with-cyanide Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Student General Artist
Do you get easly burned if you sit too much in the sun? Does your skin change it's coloration in such conditions or it stays the same?
Oh no, I get burned easily, VERY easily.

I live in California, so the sun shines non-stop, and I'm always at risk for a burn. I have had sunburns which put me in the hospital.

The burn progress like this.

First it's just pink, then it gets red, and then a super red, then pus-filled boils start appearing on the skin, then they start bursting, then the skin will start turning white and become runny with this weird pus that was not in the boils. That's when I went to the hospital, so I can't tell you what happens after, but it took about 2 and a half weeks to clear up.
soda-with-cyanide Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Student General Artist
Ouch, sounds awful. Isn't there a sunscreen that can help you? Or you have to keep cover untill the sun sets?
No, I do have a sunscreen. It was just an incident where I was stuck outside without my sunscreen that led to that terrible burn.

It doesn't happen often.
soda-with-cyanide Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student General Artist
Ouch, hope it won't happen any soon.
:iconwildergothica:
WilderGothica Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
You're an albino? I don't know what to ask really.
Yes, I am.

(You did technically ask a question.)
:iconmadfairy7:
Madfairy7 Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
I want to be an albino, not gonna lie. White hair and funky eyes omg... What's it like?
Add a Comment: