Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
January 10, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 13

Making Attributes (Elements) for a series.

:iconshuckster1:
Shuckster1 Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
IDK if I am posting this in the right place. Sorry if I am not.

Let me make it sorta short. Im making Attributes, aka Elements for a series. I wanna add some. These are the Attributes [Elements] I got so far:

Earth
Fire
Water
Wind
Light (Literal light)
Dark (Literal darkness/shadows)
Plant
Ice
Electric
Metal
Poison (Also includes acids and other chemicals)
Magic (Non-elemental magic-based powers)
Psychic
Void (Power of 'nothing.' Try to think Ceros from the Bleach anime.)
Aura (Superpowered kung-fu/'Ki Attacks')
Sound
Holy (Sacred, divine things)
Profane (Dirty, immoral tactics, blood use.)

What Im trying to add is:

Gravity (Including black holes)
Time (Not time travel: Freezing an opponent in time makes them immune to interaction in any way)
Space (Mainly warping and spatial manipulation.)

Also, what Im considering is:

Cyber (As in a man-made Attribute. Related to technolgies.)

What I am trying to say is that IDK how Gravity, Time, and Space should have advantages/disadvantages against the other Attributes and each other w/o being broken and making sense. Here is the list of the current Attribute effectiveness: [link] I may also need to fix the other Attributes as well, so can you help with that, too?

Also, Im pretty sure I got every thing that could and could be considered an element as an Attribute, but if you can think of some, can you tell me any Attributes I should add to the list? Can you help me? If you need anything elaborated, you can ask.

Thanks in advantage :D

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013   Digital Artist
Honestly sometimes less is more. Try fine tuning your uh "elements" and seeing which ones are really unnecessary.
Shuckster1 Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
Less is more, your right. But more is more, too :D

Seriously, Uh, I know a lot of them can fit into each other, but I felt (for some reason) to add a lot of elements to this thing because these are inspired by Pokemon (sorta.) Even they way they work is very Pokemon-like. If you knew the plot importance to why there are so many and their other hidden meanings, you would understand a little. But for now, no one knows, as its secret :) I want you to find out on your own. Interpret! :D (hint: think of the meaning of 'Attribute.' Now think why some of them are there even if the could fit into one another, or even not at all.)

Thanks for telling me, though. Your the 2nd to tell me that. The 1st was DJ0Hybrid. Most people I knew IRL actually liked the Idea of a lot of elements. Some people online too (no, not all are Pokemon fans.)
:iconscyoni:
Scyoni Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Gravity should be
Super effective VS Earth, Ice, Metal (Elements that naturally have substance and density would be more heavily affected by the force of gravity.)
Weak VS Fire, Wind, Light, Dark, Electric, Magic, Psychic, Void, Aura, Sound, Holy, Profane (These elements are either nonphysical or low density, which means they aren't well affected by gravitational force.)

Space here seems irrelevant. You're offering it as transmutation - which is in effect the manipulation of your other elements. It seems like something that ought to be made super specialized like telekinesis, or else just get lumped in with psychic powers.

Cyber / Techno power would be immune to the power of light / dark / holy / profane / psychic because it's mindless, emotionless tech. It would be weak to water and time, both as a point towards technology getting outdated so quickly and because tech tends to fall apart more quickly than anything built in nature.
Shuckster1 Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
Thats smart with the Cyber stuff! I like it!

To tell you, though, Light is affected by Gravity, as it makes it bend or (like black holes) prevents its escape. Fire/Electricity is affected by gravity (found that out now) and Wind is a by product of Gravity. But some faiths dont believe in gravity (lol) so that one may work. Sound is somewhat effected my gravity. So thats ok, I guess. The mystical ones are questionable.

Space has to do with shifting spaces, creating enclosed spaces (like barriers) and manipulating space, if you catch my drift.
:iconscyoni:
Scyoni Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I know light is affected by gravity, and wind produced by it - but this is on a very grand scale. The idea is that light and wind are very 'light' or 'low density' matter effects that require a significantly greater gravitational force to do much with. If you use gravity to enhance the weight of a rock, you crush something - if you enhance the weight of air... you have to put in a million times as much effort to get the same kind of impact. Some things, you might want to simplify in the interest of balance ;) but that's ultimately up to you.

If you're using space for teleportation and barriers, it's a severely limited power... But I suppose you'll get interesting results. Good luck.
Space is also using its energy to use as a weapon as well.

Light may have low density, it does have momentum and is affected very much by Gravity because of that. Look at black holes, Light cant even escape from it. Fire/electricity may also have low density, but w/o gravity, the ions (or something like that) scatter about, even if they did have the right fuel(s.) So Fire/Electricity may become weak to it.

Darkness, on the other hand, only happens in the absence of Light. Thats why black holes are black. So gravity dosent have an effect on darkness because, well, there is nothing to affect. Your right there. Metal/Earth being heavily affected by Gravity is true as well, but IDK about that. I mean the earth can be sent into danger due to a rock (meteor) impact. But its more a rock hitting a rock scenario than the gravity in of itself destroying the solid objects.

Im shaky about the mystical Attributes being resistant to Gravity makes sense, but also, these are also prone to being affected by gravity as well in many cases. Since we found out that energies are indeed affected by gravity. I might just make those neutral effectiveness.
:iconpicturefragments:
picturefragments Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Love/Heart
Life (expands on Plant)
Force
Chaos
Spirit/Ghosts
Space (mastery of distance)
Magnetism
Rebirth
Death
Disease
Creation
Wood (animate and inanimate (replaces Plant))
Gravity
Motion
Temperature
Technology
Communication

...you're welcome
I honestly thought of Love/Heart as an Emotion Attribute. Communication is Sound, more or less .But it seemed silly in some cases, so yah. Life, Rebirth and Creation is more Holy, Wood is Plant. Death and Chaos is Profane. Motion, Force is Gravity. Temperature is Fire/Ice. Spirits actually power everything. Using these forces requires Spiritual Energy (more or less, Mana) to use them. Magnetism is taken by Electric. Space actually has to do with distance, sorta. Technology is Cyber.

Now, If I wanted to add Emotion/Cyber into the scene, how would it work out? Like what other elements would have the advantage/disadvantage on? And, if you want, you can describe how they can be used to one's advantage w/o being broken one-hit kills?
:icondj0hybrid:
DJ0Hybrid Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Unless you mean to say that this is for a game, you are doing it wrong. Out of all the fictional stories from any medium (excluding those with origins from games like Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, and Final Fantasy,) I have only seen 2 in which I could give a flying crap about the elements: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and Avatar the Last Airbender. Why? Because these two actually use the "elements" to make a point. MLP uses the (non-traditional) elements to point out virtues, but only sticks to talking about one for almost the entire series. Avatar just uses the four (read: lot less than 14) mainly used elements but at two points they use it to help develop Aang the hero. The first was when he had to do something in which came difficult for him (earthbending, due because the nature of doing it is completely opposite of what it is to airbend, something Aang grew up with and lived under his entire life.) The second is when Aang learns to firebend and doesn't learn to control his destructive power, but also becomes scared of it. Every other fictional story of any medium? Could not give a care as to how many elements they had or what they were.
Umm, thanks for sharing. This was a good point-out, but it really didnt answer my question. If your making a story/comic, there is no such thing as 'wrong' in fiction. Everyone tells a story differently. And there are some shows which have alot of elements not originating from games (Naruto has quite some side-elements.)

Funny you should mention the game bit. Its a little imspired by the Scott Pilgrim series in the sense that your gonna see a lot of things that seem like they're talking about a video game logic (really, its RPG-talk!) and Pokemon because it has so many types to it and the interactions. The Attributes play a part story-wise for many things. But im not going to tell you because I want the people to see how themselves.

For real, though. Thanks. I appreciate it alot! :D
Add a Comment: