Closed to new replies
January 10, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 10

Nepotism in the art world.

:iconkmnfive:
kmnfive Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
Does it exist? true or false? agree or disagree?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconawesomeizzy:
awesomeizzy Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Of course. People are more likely to trust someone they know, or someone that a friend of theirs know, because they like to feel like they have a good taste in who they know etc.
:iconartificialphantom:
ARTificialphanTOM Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
It's not what you know, it's who you know.
:icondevere:
deVere Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
Nepotism exists everywhere, where someone with power has to choose between people.
:iconveelore:
Veelore Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Will there ever be a true meritocracy?

But you can't blame people for taking the oportunities afforded to them
:iconpriteeboy:
priteeboy Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It is one of those unfair aspects of life that weeds itself into every facet of life there is, and its actually very prevalent in the world of art and entertainment which is full of elitism, bias and delusions of grandeur. I'm sure we all have stories of Person X getting some great artistic opportunity, whether it be a job position or simply a decent serving of exposure from a source people actually care about - even though they are less-skilled than person Y, all because person X "knows somebody" :stinkeye: But can you blame them? how many of us wouldn't use that vessel of easy success if we had it as an option? I sure would :dummy: Sadly for me I'm doing it the hard way too as I know absolutely no-one of any value to the creative world. Looks like I'm going to have to work for my creative success :ohnoes: It is a always and understandably a kick in the balls everytime I see someone less-skilled getting some massive payout for an art commission or job that I feel like I can top with my eyes closed and still get less than half that amount for, all because of connections :shakefist:
:iconprosaix:
prosaix Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
Is this about repo men?
:iconnosugarjustanger:
nosugarjustanger Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
Good connections/relations can only stand to benefit. People would assume that you must be a good artist since your daddy is a well-renowned painter etc. Same goes with acting and all sorts of fields. 
:iconkylebjart:
kylebjart Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I don't believe in a grand conspiracy, but it is fair to say that folks will look out for their mates over strangers, likewise with family. There is also a strong correlation between folks that can afford art school and those that can't.

Plenty of exceptions to the rule and effort and persistence will get you far. But a good artist creates for their own reasons right? wrong?
:iconlittlefishey:
littlefishey Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
Nepotism exists everywhere. 
:iconunknownsingularity:
UnknownSingularity Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Of course it does :nod:

Look at all the crappy artists that get government grants, because they know somebody :nod:

Or in places like russia, china and arabic countries only artist that favour the system are promoted and their works displayed in public buildings and such :no:

It is everywhere :ohnoes:
Add a Comment: