Is it dangerous to become obsessed with someone's work?

I think it is. I've done it before and it totally changes my art style. I can't stop thinking the work i'm obsessed with and it blocks my creativity. Hard to explain but i think some of you might understand.

Now i try and avoid it because if i like something, it blocks my creativity and i end up drawing like the person i really like, and i want my work to be original.

Anyone else had this problem? It's frustrating, i just want to enjoy art.
Comments47
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Well... I don't know it it count as obssesion, but once I used to draw some stuff in DBZ style... but then I decided to change and try to do something "mine"...

See ya!! :D
Well, in general I think its a bad idea to OBSESS over anything. But being influenced by another person's style isn't a problem at all, its all just development and evolution as you move along and slowly figure out what you're all about and finally end up with a style that's all you. My own artistic development has, over the years, swung towards the directions of various other people's styles. And I'm sure I'm far from finished changing and evolving.
Doesnt really bother me. I rarely get obsessed with someone else's work anymore.
As long as you don't become like Kathy Bates in 'Misery,' you're fine.
In writing, this is called "you have no developed inner voice to begin with, fix it." Obsessing over a certain style of artwork and being affected by it just shows a problem that was already there.
Like if no fun if you can't find anything worth obsessing over. Go ahead and obsess.
It's bad, stahp it... ._. Joke! I never got in that situation, to be honest, but I sometimes expect too much from myself (gee, as if I, myself, didn't know my numerous limitations... =_=), I think that's a little like what I understood happens to you. Try relaxing and drawing BS, nobody expects anything from you, and you shouldn't, either.

Tell me if I didn't get your point (I'm afraid I didn't...).

LOVE <3
Bit patronising but thank you.
Oops... sorry. :/
Maybe you're just easily influenced by others works? Maybe too easily. :I
the only thing you seem to be obsessed with is making new deviantart accounts
Don't 'what' me. >:I
Made no sense. Come back to me when it makes sense.
i'll come back to you whenever i want to come back to you.
Calm down please. You will be banned from Deviantart.
Go eat a nob at night.
View all replies
It is dangerous to be obsessive of anything. 

Get a shrink. :P
You're obviously not a true artist like me then. You don't connect.
I never said I was an artist. And you're not too. :P
:slow: Why would anyone get obsessed with someone else's artwork?