Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 5, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 46

Is it dangerous to become obsessed with someone's work?

:iconedenhearne:
EdenHearne Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
I think it is. I've done it before and it totally changes my art style. I can't stop thinking the work i'm obsessed with and it blocks my creativity. Hard to explain but i think some of you might understand.

Now i try and avoid it because if i like something, it blocks my creativity and i end up drawing like the person i really like, and i want my work to be original.

Anyone else had this problem? It's frustrating, i just want to enjoy art.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondarkshadow7777:
DarkShadow7777 Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well... I don't know it it count as obssesion, but once I used to draw some stuff in DBZ style... but then I decided to change and try to do something "mine"...

See ya!! :D
:iconbri-dude:
Bri-Dude Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Student General Artist
Well, in general I think its a bad idea to OBSESS over anything. But being influenced by another person's style isn't a problem at all, its all just development and evolution as you move along and slowly figure out what you're all about and finally end up with a style that's all you. My own artistic development has, over the years, swung towards the directions of various other people's styles. And I'm sure I'm far from finished changing and evolving.
:iconcivyx:
Civyx Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
Doesnt really bother me. I rarely get obsessed with someone else's work anymore.
:iconbadgercheese1994:
Badgercheese1994 Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Student General Artist
As long as you don't become like Kathy Bates in 'Misery,' you're fine.
:icondj0hybrid:
DJ0Hybrid Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
In writing, this is called "you have no developed inner voice to begin with, fix it." Obsessing over a certain style of artwork and being affected by it just shows a problem that was already there.
:iconmetalhartrockandroll:
metalhartrockandroll Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
Like if no fun if you can't find anything worth obsessing over. Go ahead and obsess.
:iconlovelytitania:
LovelyTitania Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist
It's bad, stahp it... ._. Joke! I never got in that situation, to be honest, but I sometimes expect too much from myself (gee, as if I, myself, didn't know my numerous limitations... =_=), I think that's a little like what I understood happens to you. Try relaxing and drawing BS, nobody expects anything from you, and you shouldn't, either.

Tell me if I didn't get your point (I'm afraid I didn't...).

LOVE <3
:iconedenhearne:
EdenHearne Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
Bit patronising but thank you.
:iconlovelytitania:
LovelyTitania Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist
Oops... sorry. :/
:iconco-phantom:
Co-Phantom Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Maybe you're just easily influenced by others works? Maybe too easily. :I
Add a Comment: