Deviant Login Shop
 Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
January 2, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 26

Often misjudged...Geekiness's bad reputation?

:iconsmileychan:
smileychan Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student General Artist
So...I've noticed something. And since my new year's resolution was to delete my facebook, I'm sharing here. This isn't necessarily addressing my watchers or the dA community, but it's something I'm really getting tired of.

People WAY too often define others' values and personalities by their interests.

I feel like simply because I like anime, video games, and other "geeky" things, I am constantly having to convince people that I'm not a perverted basement nerd without a life. Since when does enjoying a particular form of entertainment, or even being a big fan, automatically assign character traits? (These are interests, not RPG classes, guys. XD) I can draw anime, play video games, and even dress up in costume if I want to, and this shouldn't say anything more about me than that I choose to spend my time that way. Those activities are simply things I do. I also act in plays, read novels, eat sandwiches, spend time with friends, go shopping, etc. The little things I do to pass the time and have fun in life don't make me who I am.

What people need to understand is that having less common, nerdy, geeky, or strange interests doesn't define people any more than being a football fan, or a car collector, or a dog person does. Just like not all football fans are beer-bellied men who never leave the sofa, not all anime fans sexualize everything and want to be Japanese when they grow up. Not even a majority. Not even half. "Weird" interests are undeserving of their bad reputations for leading to perversion, seclusion, or misguided idolization, because it is individuals, not groups, who carry these traits, and such flaws will surface in these people regardless of their interests.

Whether or not someone will behave with courtesy, respect, and dignity is entirely up to them. If they choose to be influenced negatively by the sketchy side of life, which is everywhere, then they will behave inappropriately. But associating certain superficial interests with deep personal characteristics is wrong. It's all about being a kind, respectful person, and this is something everyone is responsible for regardless of their interests. "Geeky" interests have not been around for very much of human existence, but pervs and social outcasts, as well as honest and respectful people, have always existed.

So please, people who think anime and video game fans are all perverts...don't be so presumptuous. Judge people on an individual basis by their actions and behavior, not their choice in entertainment. We're just passing the time with things that make us happy, same as you.

I'd like to know what you all think of this. Has anyone ever misjudged you based on your interests? What did you do to change their minds, if anything?

Devious Comments

:iconjphyper:
Jphyper Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
Ah, yes. I know how that goes. Some people do not realize that being a Brony has nothing to do with being a homosexual. Likewise, Trekkies aren't always single, and Boy Scout leaders aren't always homophobic.

Honestly, anything that can be grouped together has these assumptions made about them. They're called stereotypes.
:icondevere:
deVere Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
I have some interests that have marked me as well earlier, so I guess I know what you mean; Studying Latin on the side, fencing and playing Baroque in third grade gave me some tough moments in school. I never truly bothered about it, but (ironically enough) that gave me a renommé as a person who looked down on others.

People who have other interests than "the crowd" will always be subjects of questioning etc. You don't have to defend or excuse anything, and my suggestion is that you don't bother too much about it (though I do understand why it irritates you).

Also remember that if someone gets judgmental in a mean way (not to be confused with arrogance), there's always a way to get back at them - stupid people just don't realize that, when they start attacking. :-)
:iconengelsblau:
Engelsblau Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
If it disturbs you that much then why don't you pretend you like the stuff they like? Hey it's not the honest way but...

I personally don't give two shits about other people who don't do anything for me. I have different interests, it's okay, and I won't change it to fit in.
:iconawesomeizzy:
awesomeizzy Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
It's because they're aware of the 'worst' parts of that interest group.
:iconjade-abarai-kat:
Jade-Abarai-Kat Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
why would i give a fuck about waht people think of me?
:iconvanhir:
Vanhir Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Why do you care what strangers think. :|
:icondariadzyuba:
DariaDzyuba Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
People say all the possibly things about me and some of them tried and still try to change my mind, but I don't care. :shrug: Society is funny. They told me to be myself and yet they judge(d) me. :lol:
I don't live my life impressing others, I have my reasons to be who I am and others don't know me and will never understand my life. The people who judge me, aren't the rules of my life or the deciding factor in my happiness.

I will always be judged and I won't give a fuck about it. It's life. :bucktooth:

That's what I think.
:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013   Digital Artist
What I read:
"Bawwwww! I care too much about what other people think of me, so rather than accept that my interests are a defining part of who I am and just accept that, I'm going to complain about how other can't accept me for who I am, even though everyone knows that only morons and people that don't matter stereotype me, just like how I'm stereotyping people as stereotyping assholes. Bawwww, I'm too busy worrying about labels, like the people I'm condoning."
:iconsmileychan:
smileychan Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Student General Artist
You know...honestly, fair enough. I was kinda upset when I wrote that. But on looking at it again, you're right that it's whiny, and I really am worrying too much about labels.
:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013   Digital Artist
Change starts in the mirror. You don't like labels than ignore them.
Add a Comment: