Closed to new replies
December 30, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 45

What is your favorite era?

:iconvisionoftheworld:
VISIONOFTHEWORLD Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012
I'm sure everyone has one, but maybe isn't aware of it? When you create a character or make any image that's fictional-
the story may not be in a specific year (else you'd have to be historically correct!) but
I bet it belongs to a specific era. I'm curious...

So which one is your favorite to place a setting in?

:bulletblue: Prehistoric Era- Dinosaurs, millions and millions of years ago

:bulletblue: Ancient History- the Ancient Egyptians, Sumerians, early civilization

:bulletblue: The Classical- the ancient Greeks perhaps?

:bulletblue: The Romans- ~1AD-500AD- think of the time of Jesus, emperors and gladiators?

:bulletblue: The Middle Ages- ~500-1400 with kings, castles, knights, swords and magic?

:bulletblue: The Renaissance- ~1400-1700.. exploration, colonial times?

:bulletblue: The Victorian- 19th century with wigs, bustles, country houses and horses?

:bulletblue: The Modern- 20th century with all its faults

:bulletblue: The Present- post-modern pop era with all the technology and bullshit we put up with?
-or-

:bulletblue: The Future- anything goes and probably in outer space!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmadoldhag:
MadOldHag Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Ancient Egypt, high to late Middle Ages and early Renaissance. Oh, and the 1980's.
VISIONOFTHEWORLD Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012
Oh yeah the 80s!! It's hard to do 80s style stuff because people just think it's current day and wierd.. I get confused people at my pictures all the time :D
:iconmadoldhag:
MadOldHag Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I forgot that this was about visual art or writing, so I mentioned my favorite eras in general. The setting I am working on is 12th to 15th century-ish. The 1980's are the time during which I have grown up (or not? :lol:) The music reminds me of my teenage time. I also think that the music was better back then.
:iconultimateridley:
UltimateRidley Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm a history buff, so I enjoy all eras of history. (Even the Middle Ages were not quite as stagnant as everyone assumes--they were a dark time, yes, but many things were achieved during them)

That said, an overdose of civilized humanity also bores me, so my favorite era in Earth's history has to be Prehistory. Just the entirety of it. I especially love the Early-Mid Cretaceous period, the Permian period, the Ordovician period, the Oligocene epoch, and the Pleistocene epoch.

That said again, I probably would not set too many stories during pre-human Prehistory, just because there really was little of note back in those days in regards to re-tellable stories.
VISIONOFTHEWORLD Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012
That's cool, it's actually why I wanted to ask about every possible period of history not just the 'civilized' times- because I know every deviant has some period that clearly influences their art, and it could have nothing to do with humanity, whether in the extreme past epoch or the far future. I used to think the Middle Ages was boring until rediscovering it recently.. western Europe definitely different than say in China or Americas, but still a fascinating time :)
:iconpurplesnowcones:
PurpleSnowcones Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I prefer the modern and the renaissance era.
:iconuniversalkiwi:
UniversalKiwi Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012
I'm fond of Prehistoric, The Modern and The Future.
:iconneiot:
Neiot Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
The prehistoric era. It was such a simpler time back then.
:iconurus-28:
Urus-28 Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Let's for tor the future ^^
It's our destination after all =P
:iconpriteeboy:
priteeboy Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
The more recent the better. Everything about the past seems so boring and monotonous to the amount of life and excitement that goes on in todays world. How can a family of peasants who were the "average" for their time possibly have lived a more fulfilling life than today's middle-class family :ohnoes: And it seems everyone of significance in history is such a stiff...or a maniac :psychotic: There was no time for fun in the past. Pretty much work and sleep until you die :fear:

Though they did build up a society we enjoy today. But I'm sure one of them would be much more amazed and entertained in our world than we would in theirs. Ancient history to me conjures up images of slavery and oppression, Middle ages conjures up images of poor villagers and greedy-ass kings and the Victorian sounds like a pretty boring time to be alive, as well as sucking for anyone who wasn't a straight male :judge:
Add a Comment: