Closed to new replies
December 30, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 45

What is your favorite era?

:iconvisionoftheworld:
VISIONOFTHEWORLD Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012
I'm sure everyone has one, but maybe isn't aware of it? When you create a character or make any image that's fictional-
the story may not be in a specific year (else you'd have to be historically correct!) but
I bet it belongs to a specific era. I'm curious...

So which one is your favorite to place a setting in?

:bulletblue: Prehistoric Era- Dinosaurs, millions and millions of years ago

:bulletblue: Ancient History- the Ancient Egyptians, Sumerians, early civilization

:bulletblue: The Classical- the ancient Greeks perhaps?

:bulletblue: The Romans- ~1AD-500AD- think of the time of Jesus, emperors and gladiators?

:bulletblue: The Middle Ages- ~500-1400 with kings, castles, knights, swords and magic?

:bulletblue: The Renaissance- ~1400-1700.. exploration, colonial times?

:bulletblue: The Victorian- 19th century with wigs, bustles, country houses and horses?

:bulletblue: The Modern- 20th century with all its faults

:bulletblue: The Present- post-modern pop era with all the technology and bullshit we put up with?
-or-

:bulletblue: The Future- anything goes and probably in outer space!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmadoldhag:
MadOldHag Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Ancient Egypt, high to late Middle Ages and early Renaissance. Oh, and the 1980's.
VISIONOFTHEWORLD Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012
Oh yeah the 80s!! It's hard to do 80s style stuff because people just think it's current day and wierd.. I get confused people at my pictures all the time :D
:iconmadoldhag:
MadOldHag Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I forgot that this was about visual art or writing, so I mentioned my favorite eras in general. The setting I am working on is 12th to 15th century-ish. The 1980's are the time during which I have grown up (or not? :lol:) The music reminds me of my teenage time. I also think that the music was better back then.
:iconultimateridley:
UltimateRidley Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm a history buff, so I enjoy all eras of history. (Even the Middle Ages were not quite as stagnant as everyone assumes--they were a dark time, yes, but many things were achieved during them)

That said, an overdose of civilized humanity also bores me, so my favorite era in Earth's history has to be Prehistory. Just the entirety of it. I especially love the Early-Mid Cretaceous period, the Permian period, the Ordovician period, the Oligocene epoch, and the Pleistocene epoch.

That said again, I probably would not set too many stories during pre-human Prehistory, just because there really was little of note back in those days in regards to re-tellable stories.
That's cool, it's actually why I wanted to ask about every possible period of history not just the 'civilized' times- because I know every deviant has some period that clearly influences their art, and it could have nothing to do with humanity, whether in the extreme past epoch or the far future. I used to think the Middle Ages was boring until rediscovering it recently.. western Europe definitely different than say in China or Americas, but still a fascinating time :)
:iconpurplesnowcones:
PurpleSnowcones Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I prefer the modern and the renaissance era.
:iconuniversalkiwi:
UniversalKiwi Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012
I'm fond of Prehistoric, The Modern and The Future.
:iconneiot:
Neiot Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
The prehistoric era. It was such a simpler time back then.
:iconurus-28:
Urus-28 Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Let's for tor the future ^^
It's our destination after all =P
:iconpriteeboy:
priteeboy Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
The more recent the better. Everything about the past seems so boring and monotonous to the amount of life and excitement that goes on in todays world. How can a family of peasants who were the "average" for their time possibly have lived a more fulfilling life than today's middle-class family :ohnoes: And it seems everyone of significance in history is such a stiff...or a maniac :psychotic: There was no time for fun in the past. Pretty much work and sleep until you die :fear:

Though they did build up a society we enjoy today. But I'm sure one of them would be much more amazed and entertained in our world than we would in theirs. Ancient history to me conjures up images of slavery and oppression, Middle ages conjures up images of poor villagers and greedy-ass kings and the Victorian sounds like a pretty boring time to be alive, as well as sucking for anyone who wasn't a straight male :judge:
The last thing I want to do is argue against someone's preference, I was more interested in the kinds of times (civlized and pre-civilized) that deviants were interested in that clearly influenced their art. I used to be someone who thought the medieval times was probably the worst possible to imagine living in.. or even the time of the height of the Romans, but if you find out about specific places and people (like Cicero, writing in the 400s) it starts to sound really cool. I then ended up in a graduate history of architecture class and looked at the time after the fall of Rome.. and never realized how fascinating it was. In a way, the darkness of the times is what makes it so interesting. There's so much room to insert a narrative, a fictional kingdom, a war with elves, a magical princess, and it would fit the historical trend. People actually travelled quite a bit during those years, more than we're let to realize, and being a peasant was basically the result of just being a dullard- which doesn't get you in much better circumstances today does it? There were tons of opportunities to get educated, the ancient texts hadn't yet been destroyed by centuries of war, there were few guarded political boundaries so you could go anywhere... take a look at it, was a very cool time :cool:
Nevertheless I'm still very much a modern man like you say, and tend to situate most of my scenarios in the late-20th century :thumbsup:
:iconpriteeboy:
priteeboy Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Usually we learn about the great people of history. There were always top-notch writers, poets and early scientists who sill had more of a clue than most people today :giggle: But I just worry about picking and choosing being a bias on what we remember. Sorta like our own childhood - it's easy to remember the fun times with family and friends, the Christmas Days, Birthdays etc. But we all forget about how tyrannical our parents and teachers were, and the boring moments like being dragged along to the supermarket or doctors :XD: Our minds tend to grasp onto the good stuff more, making the past always seem better than it actually was (and this is coming from a very nostalgic guy, yep, I know nostalgia is an illusion, but that won't stop me from enjoying it :XD:)

It's funny how magical beings like elves and wizards can be slotted into those times. Makes me wonder that if they ever did exist - what happened to them. You'd think now would be the best opportunity of all for them to come forth and flourish. Though with modern day governments - a wizard would probably end up locked in area 51 :mib:
:iconchibilovett:
ChibiLovett Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
The one I tend to use most is modern, but my actual favorite era is Victorian. :love:
:iconphantasmastriker:
PhantasmaStriker Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012
The Future! I want my giant mechs now and to blow shit up with 'em :eager:
:iconkianap:
KianaP Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Professional Filmographer
Easy Rococo :D all those frills and super tall hair!
:iconwizardofunseen:
WizardOfUnseen Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Maybe during the Three Kingdom period in China or the Crusades or during the Renaissance.
:iconprincess-amy:
Princess-Amy Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I quite like the Cretatious era, It was lovely and warm then
:iconworldwar-tori:
WorldWar-Tori Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012   General Artist
Ancient History to Modern.
I like to learn about the growth of humanity, civilization, societies, etc. so I need all of them to put them together in a way.

They all interest me quite a bit in some way or another, making it impossible for me to decide :crying:
:icongvcspecks:
gvcspecks Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012
probably ancient greece/rome sort of time and place, i like the idea of gladiators and reclining whilst being fed grapes.
:iconchibipanny:
ChibiPanny Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012   Digital Artist
Middle Ages! :D I always wanted to learn how to do magic! :D And slay a dragon of course! XD
:iconmonipln:
monipln Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I like history and I've been interested in almost all of these eras, but right now I would say maybe The Modern Era :)
:iconcup-of-javo:
Cup-of-Javo Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012
I guess mine would be modern/the present (usually around the early 2000s). I don't know if that's my favourite era, but it's the one that I generally write in. The only time I wrote in medieval times and whatnot was in 7th and 8th grade. :( I do love reading about all the other eras, though, except for Victorian and whatnot because I find that shit boring.
:iconartificialphantom:
ARTificialphanTOM Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
The future. Because as you said anything goes.
:iconlaemperatrizmariana:
LaEmperatrizMariana Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Mine tend to be set in modern times. I did have one that was in the 1700's and another in the mid-1800's (not really Victorian) but most are in "modern/present times" or a mix of them. A current project of mine is set in present times with the technology and everything but they act like they still live during the height of the Cold War.
:iconhurricaneclaw:
Hurricaneclaw Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
The Renaissance and Victorian :D Gross to live in, but cool to read about.
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012   Digital Artist
At the moment, I usually either write about The Future or The Present. My future is tinted with a bit of 1950s, 1980s and a bit of now. :D I find very very recent history and pop culture really interesting.
:iconpakaku:
Pakaku Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012
Alternate-reality, close-future
:iconplasticusforkus:
PlasticusForkus Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012
Bugger, forgot to answer your question.

I've found myself generally drawn to either prehistory, or post-Modern/post-Cold War eras.
It's called prehistory, not ancient history. Ancient history is technically your classical era. The Dark Ages is between the Romans and the Middle Ages/Medieval, which start in AD1000ish, and end in AD1500ish, which becomes the Early Modern Period and ends AD1800ish with the advent of the Industrial Revolution, and then the Modern Era. We're actually in the Post-Modern era.

And that is only relevant in Europe. China, especially, and the rest of the world have different eras.
VISIONOFTHEWORLD Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
Prehistory is our era before about 5000BC listed at top (I'm not an official historian deciding on when that period begins, I just assume most writers and artists are siting their scenarios around that time)
The term ancient refers to 'Antiquity', which in human cultures does go back to the early civilizations and works up through the ancient Greeks. I split the Greeks out and called it "classical" (a term that begun in use during the 19th century to describe the ancient Greek architecture) because I know a lot of deviants place a lot of stories and characters inspired by the Greeks. Technically we can say antiquity is everything prior to start of the 'christian' calendar. These eras are specific to everything surrounding the mediterranean, including Europe and North Africa; Japan went through a feudal period which closely followed Europe's middle ages. But if you are using other cultures outside europe, then I am/was just as interested to know. I only asked this question because I was truly curious what historical period people allow to influence their stories and characters
PlasticusForkus Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
5000/4000BC is generally the transition from the Mesolithic to the Neolithic in Western Europe. However it was earlier in today's Egypt/Turkey.

I studied history at university and one of my hobbies is archaeology so I'm pretty clued into accepted eras :lol:

Most of what I've written is set in a post-modern, post-apocalyptic future. Or in space.
:iconshininginthedarkness:
This is awfully Eurocentric! :lol:

I like something like.. it's Victorian, but heavily fictionalized so it's not gross. The Victorian era was kind of gross unless you were lucky enough to be very wealthy. I also have a spot spot for the Egyptians, but not the Romans because they hit too close to home.
Even then, I think they were just well-dressed gross people :P
Yeah, they were :bleh:. You know, I think that's the whole point of steampunk, keep the clothes and ditch everything else.
Not that I'm really into steampunk, but maybe I should be?
I think steampunk keeps the social aspects of the era as well. It's an interesting concept... but a bit poncy for me.
I had to look up 'poncy'. I *think* I agree!

(hey, if you're from the UK, that might explain the german pointer discrepancy)
Why is that?
Maybe what the UK calls a german pointer and what we call a german pointer in the US are sort of different dogs!

Although that's assuming a complicated explanation, instead of just that some of them are nasty and some aren't.
:iconrayum:
Rayum Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012
Middle ages. Certainly not a perfect time, but I love games and movies set in that era, it's the most visually pleasing to me.
Add a Comment: