Do dogs eat vegetables/fruits ?

So i have a 6-7 month old golden retriver and whatever we eat he wants to eat too ,we give him stuff like carrots etc.. but i would like to know can i feed him stuff like apples, oranges cuz he reeeealy wants'em : /
Comments60
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
My old dog loved to eat apples--we'd save a little before the core and hold it while he chomped away. We did the same with watermelon rinds. Didn't hurt him in any way, and the apples actually helped keep his teeth clean lol
Dogs will eat whatever they can get their paws on. Lol
Dogs can eat SOME kinds of fruits and vegetables. They can eat stuff like apples or carrots, but nor oranges (toxic for them).
If someone is interested, I'll write what they can eat and what they should not.
Well onions can't make their breath any worse even if they could eat them.
Well I have seen plenty of dog foods that have vegetables mixed in, some even marketed as "light" dog foods, for today's weight-conscious canines :facepalm: But lets not forget that they are primarily carnivores whose teeth and digestive systems are designed for meat consumption, and so just because lots of fruits and vegetables are healthy for us - doesn't necessarily mean the same for them. Sure give them the safe ones every now and then, but I wouldn't force a 50/50 diet of meat and plant-matter on them :hmm:
They can (my dog likes carrot) and I believe apples are okay.

Whatever you do do not feed your dog onions, raisns or grapes as they are toxic to dogs.
So is chocolate. The poor dogs don't know what they are missing.
True.
(Although saying that I knew a dog that ate a 16pack of kitkats and wasn't any worse for wear, but it was a spaniel and they are kind of canine garbage disposals XD)
But there is doggy chocolate... I used to love that stuff.
It's best not to mention some of the the horrific things my dog has eaten out of bins.
It's best not to mention things that dogs eat out of the yard.
What he does in the garden is his own filthy business, sneaking into my bathroom and raiding the bin is just unpleasant.
It could be quite educational.
We start with used tampons and end with used condoms, with a side of toilet paper.

I don't let my dog lick me any more.
Typical dog.
Well on a camping trip once when we were sleeping on the ground something dug up some tampons that someone had buried and it was like only 10 feet from us and we never heard or saw a thing. I think it was coyotes so I'm sure dogs would play with that stuff too.
Wow thanx guys i think this much info is enough 0-0
just remember dogs have allergies too, they could be allergic to food just like humans. give your dog certain, small amounts. and asking a vet and doing some net searching to clear up any confusion on vegetables and fruits, even nuts, can do to a dog is also helpful.
I don't know about dogs, but I have had cats who ate bread, peas, Brussels's sprouts, and broccoli.
My dog used to eat pretty much everything, she even picked blackberries for herself =/
I'd research it though because some stuff isn't good for them.
Dogs are able to eat some foods, but DEFINITELY not others. According to [link] , dogs can eat apples, oranges, bananas, and watermelon as long as the seeds, stems, etc. are removed. They can also have carrots, green beans, cucumbers, and zucchini. It's also safe to feed them lean meat and white rice.
They're not really true omnivores, there are just some things that aren't harmful. Significant quantities of grapes are potentially fatal to 1/3 dogs for example. I'd suggest simply researching individual things before you give them to it as there isn't really significant knowledge on why particular things are more harmful than others within the same category.