December 29, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 56

What are your bad habits as an artist?

:icondelkkat:
Delkkat Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Mines are:
a) I am a large canvas size addict. I have no idea why I make my canvases so big when a smaller one can do just as fine. Some of my drawings are 10,000px. I ask other artists and they're mostly 3,000-8,000px. -sigh- makes uploading extremely slow.
b) I have a tendency to add layers I don't need. For some reason I like to add layers. A single lineart from me takes at least 2-4 layers Q.Q
c) I suck at organizing. I keep forgetting to/too lazy to name my layers and what happen is I'd draw on the wrong one and it just... messes up the whole thing.

So what are YOUR bad habits?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmapper3:
mapper3 Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm a huge perfectionist.
:iconuniversalkiwi:
UniversalKiwi Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012
Sometimes, I abandon a piece of art when I lose hope. I just wish I could draw better and faster, so I can draw what I really want to make without wasting a lot of time.

Still working on fixing that one.
:iconmissmarielle:
missmarielle Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Even if I draw/write something flawlessly, I still crumple up that piece of paper if there is only one thing wrong with it.

I should stop wasting paper.
:iconawesomeizzy:
awesomeizzy Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Not drawing lots. ^^;
And when I do draw, I'm so perfectionist that I'll redraw a line multiple times before I'm satisfied.
:iconsatanic-kurloz:
Satanic-Kurloz Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I draw more portraits that i do full body drawings because wow they are hard.
and also drawing right to left so my pencil lines are always smudgy.
:iconjericawinters:
JericaWinters Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012
I draw hands very poorly...I should do more study of them.
Drawing them as rectangles helps. That way you can curve them out.
:iconforeverteatime:
ForeverTeaTime Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I tend to start working on an idea, then get another idea that I am more enthused about and start working on that without finishing the first. >.<'
I also tend to go for projects that are way bigger than I can finish in a reasonable amount of time (this is especially problematic when I have to make something for arts class at school).
Finally, I usually neglect working out ideas that would be more visually interesting (surreal) in favour of portraits/fanarts/comics, because the latter feel more 'meaningful' because they are based on something. This is a bit of a bad habit I think, because the more visually interesting pieces would be better art, especially if I would somehow manage to come up with a meaning for them.
:iconinkedalivebycolors:
Inkedalivebycolors Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Actually starting back up to finish a piece or stopping before I over-do one.
:iconmightybearrr:
mightybearrr Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
1) I get a bit lazy with naming layers in Photoshop, though I at least remember to put layers in folders according to what part of the picture they're meant for.
2) I don't doodle as much as I should. I've gotten too obsessed with the idea of a finished product.
3) I'll occasionally try to add something that isn't really necessary because I feel like my work seems incomplete.

If you don't mind, samroxudont, I'd like to pass on some advice to you as well.

You don't need to work at huge resolutions considering the work you're doing is meant solely for publishing on the web. You could just work at a smaller size like 1000 to 2500 px but instead set your document to 300 ppi instead of 72 ppi (I'm assuming this is one of the problems you're having if you're making your canvases 10,000 px large). Then you can shrink a copy of the document down to 72 ppi once you have a finished product and save that as your final image. That way you'll have a smaller picture to upload while still having the original larger file to make edits to if you wish.
Wow! Thanks so much! One of the reasons I didn't want to make them that small because even when I set my brush at 1px, the line doesn't seem clear and it looks a bit blurry. I'll try this next time! :D
No problem :)

When it comes to outlining you could also just sketch the drawing out and then use the pen tool to draw an outline on a layer above the sketch.
XD I actually don't use the pen tool because I have to make short, unrefined lines to resemble fur when I draw animals so I never really noticed the pen tool :D I didn't know you could draw using it ^^ thanks anyways
:iconultralithematic:
UltraLiThematic Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I would say... rushing. And sometimes being too afraid to start the coloring part.
:iconmetalhartrockandroll:
I can't draw when I'm mad... Which isn't helpful since I'm mad fairly often.
:iconsachi-pon:
Sachi-pon Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
-messy linework
-messy coloring too (although sometimes i like things colored in a messy way! but not messy lines, ugh.)
-the hands i draw always look bad... i don't improve with hands...
-adding too many things to my drawing to-do list because i can't resist, even though i know i don't have time...
-i work pretty slowly, i think >___<
Arg! I have the 'messy lines' problem too T.T I think it's because I draw fur too much, and I get used to it, and I CAN NOT draw a single smooth line now, only small fluffy ones, so I'm not good at doing linearts :( I'll have to re-learn that :D
:iconadavesseth:
adavesseth Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I have lots of bad habits...
The most prominent one right now is lazyness, and lack of inspiration!

When I actually get to drawing:
Rushing - wanting to get the drawing finished, before it really is.
Background - Yeah, they're tedious!
Giving up - more or less consciously. Some drawings just don't get finished, for some reason.
U_U, ah, the laziness, I hate that, so hard to overcome.
:iconadavesseth:
adavesseth Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Indeed... It's silly, really! Once you put yourself in front of the easel, it's easy. But it's a long way to get there! And the longer it's been since the last drawing, the harder it gets!
:iconincandescentinsanity:
IncandescentInsanity Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Student General Artist
Not having patience to learn digital art or the attention span to finish drawings that take more than 4 hours
:iconhawkbit:
Hawkbit Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Drawing backrounds :( Everytime before drawing I say to myself "This time I will take my time on the backround" and then Im lazy again. It gets a bit better but this takes so long.
:iconiampurple:
iamPURPLE Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I have a lot...

-Unintentionally smudging traditional art with the side of my hand (even though I'm right-handed)
-Small canvases- too scared or too frugal to work on larger scale projects
-Leaving sketch pages with one tiny drawing in the corner and nothing else
-A year ago, I USED to feel helpless without the burn, dodge, and smudge tools- I AM OVER IT NOW AND SO SO SO GLAD
-Less than ten layers (out of laziness)
-Don't label all layers (lazyyyy)
-Work extremely slow (distractions, redoing the sketch over and over, etc.)
-Attempt to avoid hand and feet drawing by hiding them behind objects/other bodies/in pockets (also slowly getting over this)
-90% projects don't make it past the sketching stage and I fail to upload even WIPs to motivate or obligate finishing
it seems a lot of people have trouble with motivation to finish their work XD I'm the same
:iconiampurple:
iamPURPLE Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
A lot of the time I'm very busy with school-related projects that I don't get to finish my 'self' projects. It's pretty discouraging.
Other times, I'm in a mixed mood and I will draw for hours and hours into the night to the next day, but never upload or finish them for whatever reason! ^^;
:iconsmilkey:
smilkey Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
-lazy
-lazy
-lazy
-lazy
:iconclawanimal:
Clawanimal Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I sometimes rush when I'm outlining, which makes the line look shaky. I also sometimes pause and make those nasty dot things in the lines.

I hate that I don't draw much in one sitting. I really need to break that habit.
:iconsachi-pon:
Sachi-pon Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
i have those same problems with outlining. i am jealous of people who can somehow do neat, clean, pretty lines!!
:iconclawanimal:
Clawanimal Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Me too
:iconterminallybored:
terminallybored Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
hating everything i draw then deleting it a day later.
:iconforeverteatime:
ForeverTeaTime Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
That is a very bad habit indeed.
Although I've been told the great Picasso would usually make multiple paintings a week, like really a lot, and then burn most of them at the end of it... So hope isn't lost yet ;P
:icontuftedpuffin:
tuftedpuffin Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
I tend to not finish what I start, which makes the fact that I prefer photography anyway a good thing.

Bad habit as a photographer is I struggle to play the "waiting game" for the kinds of shots I want... I want to just keep moving!
:iconpyxelle-art:
Pyxelle-art Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
Undo ;-;
Drawing things out of proportion/resizing.
Never doing enough preliminary work D:
:iconramuramu:
ramuramu Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Since I usually like doing the lineart the least, I'll often end up sitting with a finished sketch, and erasing lines just to draw them again... That makes no sense whatsoever. :stare:
I also do that thing with several layers for lineart (when drawing digitally), more because I think it's easier that way. I tend to relocate or change some things, so it makes it a whole lot easier like that. :'3
Haha, I actually confuse myself with a bunch of layers. I'm sitting there, with layers 5, 9, 16, 4, and I'm like.. "dafuq is all this." u_u I should learn how to label
:iconramuramu:
ramuramu Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
That sounds troublesome ahhaha. :'3
I also hate it when you have so many layers and you see a mistake, but you can't find the right layer. Omg. orz
:iconartisticpuppy:
artisticpuppy Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Overdoing it, so my picture is ruined. and also lack of drawing backgrounds. :(
:iconb1ackskies:
b1ackskies Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I don't really draw very much at all.
:iconendeavor-to-freefall:
I try to keep adding more, if I don't control myself it will get to a point where it was too much and I have to start again.
This problem has plagued me as well, although not to the point of having to start over. May I ask what happens that requires you to start over?
:iconendeavor-to-freefall:
I'm a painter so to a certain extent I can simply paint right over errors, the starting over again is usually when something has gone beyond the original concept and it annoys me to a point where I'd rather just do something new.
:iconreluctantzombie:
ReluctantZombie Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I rush, I give up too easy, and sometimes I get so caught up drawing one particular aspect of the picture that I don't bother to check how it relates to the rest of it. (Which leads to a lot of "Fuck, I drew her hand too big" moments.)
Oh god, that happens to me all the time Q.Q every time I draw, the head is ALWAYS proportionally too large for the body and I have to resize it.
:iconskullwarrior13:
skullwarrior13 Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
1) Shaky Hands
2) I procrastinate starting a drawing. I like to draw but I have to be inspired or motivated to get up and draw something
3) I have proportion issues.
:iconfeetonfire:
FeetOnFire Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I don't always take my time, to finish my drawings.
If I don't like what I'm seeing after a few lines, I won't continue the drawing
... and lack of patience!
:iconunknownsingularity:
UnknownSingularity Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist

One layer :no:
I rush to post, then I watch it again and I find mistakes. :ohnoes:
Very large canvas :nod: 9000 X 12000

I often don't want to ask the model for permission. I go ahead and do it. I freak them out :ohnoes:
Lol! Wow, one layer :O that's neat! Haha, I also rush to post and find mistakes later XD happens quite often
:iconunknownsingularity:
UnknownSingularity Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
The problem is that I procrastinate to fix them :nirvana:
:iconjphyper:
Jphyper Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
I'm too detail-oriented. I forget the big picture and fill in all the details I can as soon as I can. That's why so few of my sketches get uploaded- most are rejects bound to never be thought of again.
THIS. I do it almost subconsciously.
Add a Comment: