December 29, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 56

What are your bad habits as an artist?

:icondelkkat:
Delkkat Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Mines are:
a) I am a large canvas size addict. I have no idea why I make my canvases so big when a smaller one can do just as fine. Some of my drawings are 10,000px. I ask other artists and they're mostly 3,000-8,000px. -sigh- makes uploading extremely slow.
b) I have a tendency to add layers I don't need. For some reason I like to add layers. A single lineart from me takes at least 2-4 layers Q.Q
c) I suck at organizing. I keep forgetting to/too lazy to name my layers and what happen is I'd draw on the wrong one and it just... messes up the whole thing.

So what are YOUR bad habits?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmapper3:
mapper3 Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012  Student General Artist
I'm a huge perfectionist.
:iconuniversalkiwi:
UniversalKiwi Featured By Owner Dec 31, 2012
Sometimes, I abandon a piece of art when I lose hope. I just wish I could draw better and faster, so I can draw what I really want to make without wasting a lot of time.

Still working on fixing that one.
:iconmissmarielle:
missmarielle Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Even if I draw/write something flawlessly, I still crumple up that piece of paper if there is only one thing wrong with it.

I should stop wasting paper.
:iconawesomeizzy:
awesomeizzy Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Not drawing lots. ^^;
And when I do draw, I'm so perfectionist that I'll redraw a line multiple times before I'm satisfied.
:iconsatanic-kurloz:
Satanic-Kurloz Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I draw more portraits that i do full body drawings because wow they are hard.
and also drawing right to left so my pencil lines are always smudgy.
:iconjericawinters:
JericaWinters Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012
I draw hands very poorly...I should do more study of them.
:iconmissmarielle:
missmarielle Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Drawing them as rectangles helps. That way you can curve them out.
:iconforeverteatime:
ForeverTeaTime Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I tend to start working on an idea, then get another idea that I am more enthused about and start working on that without finishing the first. >.<'
I also tend to go for projects that are way bigger than I can finish in a reasonable amount of time (this is especially problematic when I have to make something for arts class at school).
Finally, I usually neglect working out ideas that would be more visually interesting (surreal) in favour of portraits/fanarts/comics, because the latter feel more 'meaningful' because they are based on something. This is a bit of a bad habit I think, because the more visually interesting pieces would be better art, especially if I would somehow manage to come up with a meaning for them.
:iconinkedalivebycolors:
Inkedalivebycolors Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Actually starting back up to finish a piece or stopping before I over-do one.
:iconmightybearrr:
mightybearrr Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Professional Filmographer
1) I get a bit lazy with naming layers in Photoshop, though I at least remember to put layers in folders according to what part of the picture they're meant for.
2) I don't doodle as much as I should. I've gotten too obsessed with the idea of a finished product.
3) I'll occasionally try to add something that isn't really necessary because I feel like my work seems incomplete.

If you don't mind, samroxudont, I'd like to pass on some advice to you as well.

You don't need to work at huge resolutions considering the work you're doing is meant solely for publishing on the web. You could just work at a smaller size like 1000 to 2500 px but instead set your document to 300 ppi instead of 72 ppi (I'm assuming this is one of the problems you're having if you're making your canvases 10,000 px large). Then you can shrink a copy of the document down to 72 ppi once you have a finished product and save that as your final image. That way you'll have a smaller picture to upload while still having the original larger file to make edits to if you wish.
Add a Comment: