how to start a contest

I want to start a contest.How do I do so???
Comments17
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Dress up like a sumo wrestler, then walk up to someone and start slapping your thighs.
A Guide to Individually Hosted Contests     Hosting a contest as an individual as opposed to in a group can be a little intimidating since you don't automatically have the support of your admin team behind you but with a few simple things kept in mind one can just as easily make an individually hosted contest a success.

Gathering Prizes

Before even announcing your contest you will have to make sure that you can provide a presentable selection of prizes and unless you are exceptionally wealthy and got some extra change you won't be able to offer several premium memberships or thousands of points, especially if you are planning to hold regular contests. While there is always the option to ask for prize donations via a pre-contest journal or simply collecting points all year round with your donation widget, you cannot rely on these being successful.

But contest prizes don't have to cost you a lot or to be honest they don't even h

A Guide to Group-Hosted Contests on dA

Introduction

The ever-wonderful =ValaSedai posted an article about Individually Hosted Contests this morning. It covered a lot of important stuff like gathering prizes and organizing your entries. This guide is going to cover much of the same stuff, but from a group admin's point of view. :)

Prepare and Organize

The Summer Contest that myself, =SilverInkblot, and =thetaoofchaos hosted through =DailyLitDeviations literally took months of planning. We wrote and revised the prompt, rules, entry guidelines, prizes, judging guidelines, and more. Then when the contest was announced, people had questions and the questions most frequently asked were added to an FAQ section in the article. Then there was collecting and finalizing the judge's scores
What, you're actually being helpful? That's no fun. :(
One day you'll realise the fun in it Pat pat
Yeah, but that's only because you're an administrator person thing! Everybody know's that they're lame!
you confuse cause and effect.
You confuse what's lame and what's not lame. :iconeratsplz:
These two might help:

How to Host a Contest
I love contests. As much as I like entering contests, I love hosting contests even more. Here's a guide to help you host your own contest. =]

Theme

Pick a theme for your contest. Your theme can be as vague as a general photography contest, or something specific such as a monochrome contest. Be creative and use your imagination as themes of a contest can be anything. Although I'm a photographer, I personally like holding contests that allow all mediums (traditional art, digital art, literature, ect.) to enter because I find it more fun when a larger audience is allowed to participate.

Prizes

What's a contest without prizes? While you don't need extravagant prizes to host a good contest, I think it's fair to say that the more prizes the merrier. It's a good idea to get a few prizes before actually announcing the contest. I'm sure to a bunch of members on this site, the prizes are the most alluring part of a contest and an

dA Life #08: Hosting a Contest on dAWelcome to the eighth dA Life blog, a series created to help you enjoy your time on dA and use it's many tools for sharing your art, appreciating other people's art and taking part in the wonderful community that we have here. Hosting a contest on dA is a really fun way to inspire other artists and do something positive for the community. If you've never run a contest before, it can seem like a daunting task so to make it a little easier, here are some things to consider before you create your contest and open it to the deviant public...

Theme

Your contest should have a theme. It can be as vague (Aliens, Summer, Cats) or as specific as you like (Alien Cats in Summer). When choosing your theme, take time to consider it's appeal to your potential entrants. A less specific theme is likely to attact more people as the scope for entries is wider. It depends on whether or not you want your contest to be huge - sometimes, bigger isn't always better.

Cheese. And lots of it.
Do you have an idea? Money or things along those like to give as prizes?    

Stare at someone. Whoever blinks first loses. :stare:
I was going to commment here then realised the OP blocked me. :lol:
lol damn it would have been more entertaining with you here :XD:
Now why would they do that? :no:
The block strikes again! :dummy: