Old Technology

I was at Walmart just now picking up some Christmas presents, and I happened to see the little monitor that cycles through those videos and advertisements at the register reboot. It was running Windows 2000 on what looked like a Dell Inspiron from no earlier than 2005. That's an operating system that's almost 13 years old.

What are some old technologies that you've seen that are still in use? This isn't limited to only computers--anything that's outlived its time. Old machines, kitchen appliances from the '50s, etc.
Comments355
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
when I think about it I know alot of old technoligies still working - sometimes better and more reliable that new stuff
This comment was posted using XP on a 6 year old laptop, my mobile is one of the first with an integrated musicplayer, we still have lots of old working moblies at home (some with extractable antennas), our deep freezer is 25 years old, the elevator is from the early 70s, my mom owns a radio from the 50s (still working), ...
wow, I live in an antique shop :D
An antique clock, probably early 1900's.
I've noticed a lot of displays use XP computers, when I was in college we were still running XP machines until I think it was last year.
Oh, I have the usual stuff: VCR, cassette players, even a record player (although it's at my sister's house). This is the kind of stuff I grew up with, and I guess I'm too "old school" to bother to replace it all with the latest gadgets. If it still works, why?

But I also have something a bit out of the ordinary: a couple of helium-neon gas lasers from the mid- 1980s. Not really all that old, but totally different from the common diode lasers that are so common now. Lasers have fascinated me since I was in my teens (strange for a girl, I know) and I wanted one sooo bad! But that was before they had cheap laser pointers and other inexpensive lasers, and they were always just way too expensive. That, and the fact that my parents thought I was weird for wanting one, lol! So they never got me one.

But now that I'm on my own, I finally broke down and got me these used lasers. They work fine, but probably don't put out nearly as much power as when they were new. Still really cool, though, and something most people won't have!
I still have my Sega Saturn and Dreamcast, does that count?
I have an old record player that i got given by my grandad, it still works and i collect records for it, my Michael Jackson and Elvis Records are like my prize possecions. And my mum has an old telephone with a spin dial. :D
Do you know if that telephone still works?
yeah, its been re-wired so it works
What year was it from?
don't have a clue, its just theree on the coffee table. Its like a prop from heartbeat.
Everything in my house is new. Even the house is new. :shrug:
Is there any way this problem can be solved? :noes:
I'm not sure. I forgot what the problem was.
A lot of people I have to work with still use VC6 in a professional environment. This is a technology released in 1998 and when I say professional environment, I mean really big companies.
I have a Moka pot coffeemaker which I still use. It looks like this [link] and I think it's kinda old but it makes amazing coffee so I don't want any of those new coffee machines.
I use a 1950's typewriter for writing snail mail, and one of my most favorite things to do is beat eggs with an OLD FASHIONED EGG BEATER (Ok, i don't know if these are really outdated or not. But most people I know use whisks or electric beaters.)
Snail mail? That's about the most oldschool thing I've heard on here yet.
I still own a tape recorder and a record player.
Tell me about that tape recorder of yours. :iconstaringmanplz:
It is a double cassette tape deck and part of my stereo system. I bought it relatively late, in the late 1990's or so. But it was used, so I don't know how old it is.

My record player I bought from a friend so I know it is from the mid-1980's.
I haven't heard of those since 2002.