How do you prepare for the holiday?

How do you prepare for whichever holiday you celebrate around this time of year? I celebrate Christmas, and since I'm still off at school right now, I can't do all of my usual family stuff (like baking cookies and hanging stockings and all of that stuff), but my housemates here and I just got and decorated a tree, so our apartment smells awesome, and I'm drawing a holiday-themed picture while listening to the worst best song ever on repeat...

:sing: LAAAAAST CHRISTMAS, I GAVE YOU MY HEAAAAART, BUT THE VERY NEXT DAAAAAY, YOU GAVE IT AWAAAAAAY~~ :sing:

So, my fellow dA-ers, how are you prepping this holiday season? Or, if you like to avoid all of this holiday stuff, how do you keep from going crazy as the holidays are shoved in your face every time you turn on the TV/radio/etc?
Comments68
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
That day comes,and then it goes,and I just don't care much about it.
I don't really prepare for holidays...
It just passes by... :shrug:

But if I'm going somewhere....then I pack my bag :)
Are you going anywhere this year?
I'm going to London for Christmas to visit my family! I'm so super excited :)
Oh, that sounds fun!
I've bought the last presents today (lie... since I still haven't gotten out of the house to buy the very last on yet) - so I've taken care of that part of the holiday... which is the most time-consuming since I now have two families to celebrate it with.

This weekend we will probably decorate (well... eh... sort of) and make the candy and quorn-balls. Which is the most exciting part of holiday preparations except for the actually celebration. I will celebrate three different times this year (21:th, 22:d and 24:th) so there is quite much happening around the holidays.

Though I'm happy I won't have to decorate the tree and that kind of things anymore. When my brother moved out I had to take care of the tree mostly by my own, so when I moved out I was quite happy to get away from that chore... when my parents are nice enough to get the tree before the 23:d...
Wow, it sounds like you keep pretty busy this time of year! The three celebrations sounds intense, but I'm sure it'll be great.
Well, we usually decorate around this time of year, and everyone's asking about what kinds of presents to get each other, especially the parents/grandparents who bug you to not end about what you want! >V<
But yeah, we usually just go about our business, prepping for our church service, putting up trees, etc. On Christmas all the cousins and family members all get together over at my Grandmother's for presents and dinner. It's really fun, and nice to be with the family! ^U^
Oh, that sounds so nice! I hate the "what do you want?" question because, other than one main thing, I never really know what to say >.>
I know right? Usually my grandmother asks the first week of December, so I usually don't have an answer right away - but I get back to her eventually! >V<
I was able to think of something to tell my Nana this year; I felt very proud of myself, ahaha. Sweaters. Because one always needs sweaters in Canada!
Hahahahaha~ well, at least you found something useful to ask for! I asked for photoshop, books, and earings (just got my ears pierced).
What I want this year is a new tablet and the aforementioned sweaters :lol:

What kind of piercings did you get? I actually need to get new hardware for my one cartilage piercing... I got it done at the beginning of the year, and I still have the original piercing, but since they anticipate initial swelling, the part that goes through the ear is quite long... and now that my hair is growing out, it gets caught sometimes >.> I need to find a shorter one.
Oh, sounds nice! Hope you get everything you asked for!

But the piercings I got are just normal ear piercings. I had to get them re-pierced from when they grew over when I was little. Though, it sounds like it could be a little annoying if you hair keeps getting caught in your piercings! Same happens to me occasionally!
View all replies
I'm not preparing. :paranoid:

I usually don't celebrate holidays, so I avoid all the holiday stuff. :nod:

And I make sure not to let myself be shoved? :O
Dusting off my fugly holiday sweater to wear about the town.
Excellent :) I sort of wish I had one, myself.
I mostly prepare by doing the painfully large amount of paperwork I always have to do at this time of year. When I'm not working, I prepare by wanting to shove a power drill through my ear every time one of those bloody Christmas songs comes on the radio. :nod:
Ah, why do you have a ton of paperwork this time of year?

I don't actually listen to the radio much/at all, so I can bear to listen to whatever they play whenever I do happen to turn it on. Otherwise, I don't listen to anything that I haven't already decided I want to listen to. Anyways, there are a few songs that, if they come on at this time of year while my mom and I are in the same general area, we feel compelled to sing loudly and horribly to. Just something we do sometimes :lol:
We have to get most of it done before the year's end, which is the 20th for us, so... It's always quite hectic. I could probably take some of it home and do it there but fuck that. :stare:
I figure it's best to just accept the Christmas songs rather than fighting them. Nobody can ever stop them...
Well, good luck with getting your work done! >.>
I just don't do anything at all for the holiday season. Perhaps drafting out names of friends to send some cards to. :la:
Oh, it's always nice to receive cards and such in the mail! I wish more people sent letters and such.