Closed to new replies
December 9, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 67

How do you prepare for the holiday?

:iconscribblebees:
ScribbleBees Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
How do you prepare for whichever holiday you celebrate around this time of year? I celebrate Christmas, and since I'm still off at school right now, I can't do all of my usual family stuff (like baking cookies and hanging stockings and all of that stuff), but my housemates here and I just got and decorated a tree, so our apartment smells awesome, and I'm drawing a holiday-themed picture while listening to the worst best song ever on repeat...

:sing: LAAAAAST CHRISTMAS, I GAVE YOU MY HEAAAAART, BUT THE VERY NEXT DAAAAAY, YOU GAVE IT AWAAAAAAY~~ :sing:

So, my fellow dA-ers, how are you prepping this holiday season? Or, if you like to avoid all of this holiday stuff, how do you keep from going crazy as the holidays are shoved in your face every time you turn on the TV/radio/etc?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconakihua:
akihua Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist
That day comes,and then it goes,and I just don't care much about it.
:iconfuyuko7:
Fuyuko7 Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I don't really prepare for holidays...
It just passes by... :shrug:

But if I'm going somewhere....then I pack my bag :)
ScribbleBees Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
Are you going anywhere this year?
:iconfuyuko7:
Fuyuko7 Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
no
:iconeverfae:
everfae Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
I'm going to London for Christmas to visit my family! I'm so super excited :)
Oh, that sounds fun!
:iconsimplylemie:
SimplyLemie Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
I've bought the last presents today (lie... since I still haven't gotten out of the house to buy the very last on yet) - so I've taken care of that part of the holiday... which is the most time-consuming since I now have two families to celebrate it with.

This weekend we will probably decorate (well... eh... sort of) and make the candy and quorn-balls. Which is the most exciting part of holiday preparations except for the actually celebration. I will celebrate three different times this year (21:th, 22:d and 24:th) so there is quite much happening around the holidays.

Though I'm happy I won't have to decorate the tree and that kind of things anymore. When my brother moved out I had to take care of the tree mostly by my own, so when I moved out I was quite happy to get away from that chore... when my parents are nice enough to get the tree before the 23:d...
Wow, it sounds like you keep pretty busy this time of year! The three celebrations sounds intense, but I'm sure it'll be great.
:iconninjascrag:
NinjaScrag Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well, we usually decorate around this time of year, and everyone's asking about what kinds of presents to get each other, especially the parents/grandparents who bug you to not end about what you want! >V<
But yeah, we usually just go about our business, prepping for our church service, putting up trees, etc. On Christmas all the cousins and family members all get together over at my Grandmother's for presents and dinner. It's really fun, and nice to be with the family! ^U^
ScribbleBees Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
Oh, that sounds so nice! I hate the "what do you want?" question because, other than one main thing, I never really know what to say >.>
I know right? Usually my grandmother asks the first week of December, so I usually don't have an answer right away - but I get back to her eventually! >V<
I was able to think of something to tell my Nana this year; I felt very proud of myself, ahaha. Sweaters. Because one always needs sweaters in Canada!
Hahahahaha~ well, at least you found something useful to ask for! I asked for photoshop, books, and earings (just got my ears pierced).
What I want this year is a new tablet and the aforementioned sweaters :lol:

What kind of piercings did you get? I actually need to get new hardware for my one cartilage piercing... I got it done at the beginning of the year, and I still have the original piercing, but since they anticipate initial swelling, the part that goes through the ear is quite long... and now that my hair is growing out, it gets caught sometimes >.> I need to find a shorter one.
NinjaScrag Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Oh, sounds nice! Hope you get everything you asked for!

But the piercings I got are just normal ear piercings. I had to get them re-pierced from when they grew over when I was little. Though, it sounds like it could be a little annoying if you hair keeps getting caught in your piercings! Same happens to me occasionally!
Ah, I also had normal ones when I was younger, but I kept having to take them out for soccer matches, which got annoying, so I let the close. A few weeks after I got my cartilage piercing done, I got one of my old holes reopened, and another above it. The guy who did it seemed to find my request for two on the same side a bit weird (you can see it in my ID image), but I like the lack of symmetry, myself :)

It is really annoying when it gets tangled, aughhh. I always have to be really careful when untangling it because it can be quite painful if the piercing gets wrenched in any one direction suddenly...
(1 Reply)
:icon3wyl:
3wyl Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm not preparing. :paranoid:

I usually don't celebrate holidays, so I avoid all the holiday stuff. :nod:

And I make sure not to let myself be shoved? :O
:iconplasticfortunecookie:
PlasticFortuneCookie Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Dusting off my fugly holiday sweater to wear about the town.
Excellent :) I sort of wish I had one, myself.
:iconvanhir:
Vanhir Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I mostly prepare by doing the painfully large amount of paperwork I always have to do at this time of year. When I'm not working, I prepare by wanting to shove a power drill through my ear every time one of those bloody Christmas songs comes on the radio. :nod:
Ah, why do you have a ton of paperwork this time of year?

I don't actually listen to the radio much/at all, so I can bear to listen to whatever they play whenever I do happen to turn it on. Otherwise, I don't listen to anything that I haven't already decided I want to listen to. Anyways, there are a few songs that, if they come on at this time of year while my mom and I are in the same general area, we feel compelled to sing loudly and horribly to. Just something we do sometimes :lol:
:iconvanhir:
Vanhir Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
We have to get most of it done before the year's end, which is the 20th for us, so... It's always quite hectic. I could probably take some of it home and do it there but fuck that. :stare:
I figure it's best to just accept the Christmas songs rather than fighting them. Nobody can ever stop them...
Well, good luck with getting your work done! >.>
:iconnosugarjustanger:
nosugarjustanger Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012
I just don't do anything at all for the holiday season. Perhaps drafting out names of friends to send some cards to. :la:
Oh, it's always nice to receive cards and such in the mail! I wish more people sent letters and such.
:iconnosugarjustanger:
nosugarjustanger Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012
Me too. I'm just gonna surprise them with the cards. :love:
:iconwatchherfly:
WatchHerFly Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012
I prepare for the Holidays with finals at school. :iconheaddeskplz:
Aaaah, same here! I'm currently stuffing my brain full of vocab for a Korean exam.
:iconrobstrand:
RobStrand Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012
I am snowmobiling to my Parents house for the Holiday with a sled full of presents.
That sounds really fun. I've never been on a snowmobile before.
:iconprincess-amy:
Princess-Amy Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I send all my time at work.
That's really unfortunate :/
:iconprincess-amy:
Princess-Amy Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Its not unfortunate, its a reality of life.
:iconflicher:
Flicher Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I usually withdraw from the world for hibernation and wait for the sun to be out for a reasonable number of hours. It is a odd time of year. I stay in my room, play video games, and come to the conclusion that all of the horrible decisions I had made lead me to be where I am today.
Ah, it does get dark so early! It's dark by like 4pm here where I am... for the first few days it's like this, it's hard to function in the evening, because I feel like it must be a lot later than it actually is.
:iconflicher:
Flicher Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Tis the season, I guess. Stuffing oneself with food has been something to cheer about. It would be a joy to go into hibernation. Spring brings happiness once again. Tomatoes, peppers, onions, animals, sunshine, swimming, and hope.
:iconco-phantom:
Co-Phantom Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
We put up lights and the tree. Soon, we shall make tamales! :la:
Send me some, please!
:iconcitychikin:
citychikin Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I haven't done anything too Christmas-y since I was in my mid-teens or so. To remedy that, my friends and I are going ice skating next to the big Christmas tree in Union Square (we're in San Francisco). None of us have ever done this, so we're probably going to spend more time flailing around on the ice than skating.
Oh, that sounds so fun! I would love to go ice skating... I've only ever been once, years ago, and it was so fun. Maybe I'll get some friends to go with me sometime soon...
:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012   Digital Artist
For some reason I feel extra violent during christmas. Like today at Target I was in the christmas aisle, and for some reason I wanted to grab every shiny glittery glass thing and throw it on the ground and watch it smash to pieces. Not because I was mad, or that I hated them, it was like an urge. Then I wanted to grab the christmas tree and run around beating the other costumers with it while singing various bastardized versions of christmas songs. Once again it wasn't out of rage, it was just something I felt I must do.
I'm sure you could have terrified a few children.
I want to terrorize them. I want to get a santa claus outfit and be zombie santa. So like they come up from behind expecting jolly old saint nick all excited to tell me what they want for xmas, and then bam, mouthful of blood!
:lol: That sounds like something that would need to be videotaped for future lulz.
My brother comes back next week. I think this is going to happen now! Thank you.
Please tell me if you do this. I feel like it could be awesome.
:iconmr-timeshadow:
Mr-Timeshadow Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012
Last weekend, I brought up every decoration but the tree and wreaths. This weekend, I brought up the rest. So now I have wreaths on every outside door, and one over the fireplace (I never light it, so no danger). The tree is up, lit (I have alternating strings of white and green LED lights), and decorated. The nativity is up on the china cabinet in my dining room, and there's a beautiful ceramic statue of a small-town church (and it really lights up when plugged in) by a local senior who hand-made it for my family, sitting on my desk. I have a small tree that also plugs in, in the front hall, with "icicles" of red and green around its base.
I played my Chanticleer "yule log" DVD while working. What a wonderful, classical selection, which handily wraps around when finished. Next weekend, I will wrap all of my presents, nearly all of which arrived. A couple are en route, but arriving by then.
Ah~ all that reminds me so much of all the work we put into the house when I lived with my grandparents :D We would put our tree up (with the roots bundled up with it so we could plant the tree in the yard when we were done with it; some of them got incredibly huge over the years until the people who bought their house fucking cut them all down :|), get it decorated, set up our little Christmas village with the train running around it under the tree, hang up the stockings, put electric candles in all the windows, decorate the house and the trees outside, hang the stockings, take out the nativity and wreath, set up the light-up ceramic Christmas tree my great-grandmother made years ago, I would bake cookies with my Nana... aaah, so good! :D
:iconmr-timeshadow:
Mr-Timeshadow Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012
Well, I found a way to make things easier. I leave the tree wrapped in lights all year. I disassemble it into two pieces, carry them downstairs, then reassemble it and cover with drop cloth. That way, I just tote it back up and join the two main halves.
Decorating the tree takes a while, but I put everything in a zipping vinyl bag so I can see everything I'm using. I also put the least-used items in the bottom, and the main ones near the top.
Wow, that's so organized! The fake tree we have at my house (my brother's got allergies, so we stopped using real trees a few years ago :< ) has some lights built in, so that's already done, and then it's a matter of digging out the bins of all of our decorations and ornaments and getting everything sorted out and in its place! It's all a bit chaotic, but worth it :)
Add a Comment: