Do you live in a dangerous location?

Currently, I live in a state in America where I could have a flood that could wash my home away, a earthquake that could destroy everything (we have a history of having super earthquakes about every 500 years... We are overdue so far) or have the opportunity of Yellowstone blow up and pour hot lava everywhere (theoretically.. this would effect everyone).
Do you live in a dangerous location? If so, why are you still living there?
Comments77
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I live in England. The last natural disaster we had was X Factor. :B
I'm somewhat safe, though having a stream that may flood next to your house and having a railway close by are slight risks there is nothing very bad to worry about.
Not anymore! I used to live in the Mojave Desert though. It was right near a major fault line, and the dry land would randomly burst into flames it seemed. Plus, it was a very high-crime area.
I live in the Typhoon Belt and the Pacific Ring of Fire. Crime rate's pretty high as well. But really, it's counterproductive to worry so much about what could happen instead of noticing the great things that are already there, like the fact I can go to the beach all year round and not need separate wardrobes for different times of the year.
No, not really. I live in Connecticut.
I dont think it's particularly dangerous. There does tend to be quite a bit of tornadoes but never been hit. Also someone stole my roommates car. I think the biggest danger is crime more than natural disaster but it's a relatively sleepy area so even that isnt too common.
The only natural danger that is present where I live is... Boredom
i live in ny and we just had the effects of hurricane irene, it was pretty bad, but not deadly where im at, just a lot of rain and high wind.
Yes. Not on the same scale but Half the year is dark and that combined with cold that creates ice and snow makes every stroll around the neighbourhood hazardous;)
Jesus that sounds dangerous. I think that Japan is a pretty goddamn dangerous place to live, its prone to so many natural disasters and it's likely to be one of the first countries to sink due to global warming.

I don't really live in a dangerous place, there's a children's park in front of my house where it was reported last year that there were illegal drug users hanging about there and that somebody was knifed nearby but that's about it. I live very close to Glasgow though, which has the titles "The Friendly City" and "The Stab Capital of Europe" Lolwhat.
Lol, I thought you were referring to crime rate. :XD:

As far as weather is concerned, no. We have four seasons, thunderstorms and blizzards, but it is by no means dangerous/severe. Just something you have to muscle through.
No, I certainly do not. In fact, I live in a very safe place on this earth which I am very grateful for.
I'm from Australia. Even the geography wants me dead.
I'm from the north so there's relatively little chance of flooding, like down south.
I have snow, ice storms, thunder storms and that is about it.
I live in a relatively geographically stable place where the weather isnt that bad.. we still have nasty weather sometimes though
Tornadoes
Temperature range of -30 to 110 degrees Fahrenheit
Blizzards
Poisonous snakes and spiders
Plague-carrying rodents
Wolves, mountain lions, bobcats, coyotes, skunks, and badgers. All of which potentially have rabies.
Occasional rogue cattle
Prairie and forest fires
Long stretches of uninhabited road (run out of gas in some areas and you could die before reaching potable water, let alone civilization)
Within 400 miles of Yellowstone
About 100 miles to the nearest hospital
And worst of all, rednecks/survivalists
I've seen a cougar near my house before. Also a bear crossing the road where I used to live (which isn't that far from here, so there are probably ones here too). I don't think they typically go after humans, but I'm still scared of them. Plus we have a lot of tornadoes.
I'm in the US, but barring the apocolypse or an extremely freak tornado, I'm super safe from natural disasters. At least my personal neighborhood, there are some spots around here prone to a bit of flooding.

Oh, and that doesn't count the winter. Shit can go DOWN in the winter.
Amazingly no. Australia is famous for two ironically opposite disaster types - raging fires and flash floods (yes, it may not rain a lot here, but when it does it pours, and all of that hard, sun-baked ground doesn't exactly absorb the water very quickly). But I've lived in this town all my life (even though my family has moved a dozen damn times already, but all within the same general town) and never once has it been threatened by either. Sometimes they get close, smoke from fires can sweep over the skies (causing a really cool orange sun :sun:) but never have I seen any locals need an evacuation from anything :phew: The worst we get are summer thunderstorms which can bring down trees and damage houses and cars with hail. Rarely do they kill someone though.
I don't, but if my neighbour insists on playing the ukulele this badly at night in future, she will.
There's also the threat of hurricanes, which aren't so bad. I'd take the nastiest storm over getting shot.. Anyway, I'm looking to move out soon, in a few years.