Closed to new replies
December 5, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 232

Avoided.

:icongemdrop:
Gemdrop Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
You know that feeling when you fail miserably, but could have avoided it very easily?

Example. I put my cellphone in the back pocket of my jeans. I go into the toilet about one minute later. When I take my pants off I wonder what was that weird splash I just heard-
You can probably guess what happened, I'm drying my phone with a hair-dryer right now.

So, tell me about a moment when you simply failed because of some tiiiiny little thing, your own stupidity, or... just failed. :stare: TELL ME! I need to know I'm not the worst failure out there :paranoid:

also, the phone was relatively new and it was a good phone :saddummy:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconzatarian:
Zatarian Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
I was so excited to get my new learner's driving permit that didn't say ”under 21” that I quickly pulled my old card out of my wallet to compare them then cut it up. It was only while I was putting the card in my wallet that I realized I had cut the wrong one. I was so embarrassed, I quickly borrowed my brother's credit card to order a new one so that my parents wouldn't find out. (in case anyone is wondering, I live in brooklyn and had no need to drive until then.)
Gemdrop Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
:stare: Oh dear. That's terrible!
:iconzatarian:
Zatarian Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
Yeah, but we had a good laugh about afterwards.
Gemdrop Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
:XD: Yeah, that's what usually happens.
:icondtkinetic:
DTKinetic Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Reminds me of the time I left my car keys in my pants pocket a couple months ago and they ended up in the washing machine :X
I couldn't use the battery to lock/unlock my doors but thank God it came back to life a few days later =P

I remember back in junior high school there was this girl I had a crush on who sat on my school bus. And these rowdy kids were throwing a near empty bottle of orange soda around irritating me and the girl. And I happened to intercept one of the throws :w00t: So I wanted to show off to the girl that I "saved the day" :stare: So I showed her the bottle, but the way I brought it down in front of her with my arm, splashed some orange soda on her sweater and made her VERY upset :X

My parents went out for a Friday Night and I was supposed to take care of the house. I made sure I kept EVERYTHING clean, and that the dog was taken care of...and my parents came home happy they had a good time...although they were angry when they saw I left the doors unlocked (when I went to walk the dog), and got a lecture about safety too. :X And to think a simple switch of a knob...
Gemdrop Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
:lmao: Oh god that soda thing.
:iconvisaga:
visaga Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
LOL haha I'm sorry! I hope your phone is okay C:

Don't worry, I went to China over the summer and one time I went to the toilets I had my uncle's phone in my back pocket (in case I got lost) and the toilets were squat type and automatic flush yeah? So I when I did my business the phone fell out of my pocket into the toilet and got flushed down. Needless to say I got lectured for it and we lost the phone Dx
Yeah, it came back to life :XD:

Oh damn :O
Also, those toilets are pretty terrible.
visaga Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Haha if it didn't, we'd have to do CPR or something :XD:

Yeah ikr :/ I always try to avoid them like the Black Plague.
The foreign toilets are always a bit weird. :iconsadnod:
visaga Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
:no: Toilets.
:iconjackgraham:
JackGraham Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
My very existence feels like a fail at this point...
:iconastrikos:
Astrikos Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012   General Artist
:huggle:
JackGraham Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
=D
Astrikos Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012   General Artist
c:
Gemdrop Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Why?
JackGraham Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Because everything is bitches, and everything is a suck
Your English is pretty terrible as well.
JackGraham Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
My English is only terrible when I make it terrible on purpose
Gemdrop Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Good :lol:
:iconsapphire-ashesx:
Sapphire-Ashesx Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012
I once spilled fruit punch on my old laptop and the keys stopped replying. :saddummy:
Astrikos Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012   General Artist
Oh noes!
Sapphire-Ashesx Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012
Yesh, it was awful. D:
Astrikos Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013   General Artist
D:
Gemdrop Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Nnnoo :crying: Did you get it fixed?
Sapphire-Ashesx Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012
Yeah, I did.
Gemdrop Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Good :thumbsup:
Sapphire-Ashesx Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012
Yeah. :)
:iconmorbid-angelic:
morbid-angelic Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
:iconpetrifiedplz:

I can't believe I just remembered this. I've been trying for almost a year to forget it and now the trauma is all back again! :crying:

Okay. So, I was a few weeks into my first ever job, a cashier at a really big, REALLY busy grocery store. Because it was my first job and I was absolutely terrified of not being good enough and getting in trouble, I was working desperately hard and trying to do everything perfectly. I was just about to head off on my lunch break when a supervisor asked me to collect putaways and baskets. You know, when someone changes their mind in line and decides not to get something, so they give it to the cashier to put away? And when someone just has a few things they grab a basket to put everything and leave them in stacks at the end of the tills? Yeah.

So I do the putaways first, grab everything so I can do it in one trip. But there's an enormous watermelon with a crack in the side that's starting to rot, and I can't carry it with everything else because it's too heavy, so I leave it behind to grab with the baskets. So, I put everything else away, then grab the rickety old trolley thing for collecting baskets. It's absolutely useless - one of the wheels is broken so it doesn't balance properly and it's really hard to roll forward in a straight line, and just altogether hard to use.

I collect all the baskets, I'm trying to do it in one trip because I don't want the supervisor complaining that I was too slow. Literally the stack is taller than me when I reach the place where the watermelon is. So I take a deep breath, balance the stack against my knee because it's horribly close to tipping over at this point, and throw the broken watermelon on top. The leaning tower of baskets holds steady and I sigh in relief.

So I'm wheeling this thing towards the front of the store, and it's leaning forward precariously. And I'm almost there when I lose control of the cart and it falls over, and the baskets are so FREAKING loud as they hit the floor it sounds like an explosion. The watermelon, which had already suffered structural damage beforehand, basically exploded, splashing a few customers with rotten melon juice. Worst part? As I was freaking out and trying not to cry whilst hurriedly cleaning it all up and apologizing frantically to the customers, THE FREAKING STORE MANAGER walked by, stopped, and helped clean up. :stare:

I was so mortified I was ready to quit. Luckily everyone was really nice about it, even the unfortunate customers who had been savaged by bits of watermelon. Still, that resounds as the biggest failure of my entire life. :no:

And it all could have been avoided if I'd just taken two damn trips....:icondoublefacepalmplz:
JackGraham Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Thats a pretty funny story!
morbid-angelic Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012
I suppose it is. It's still quite traumatizing to think about, but maybe in a few years I'll be able to look back and laugh! :giggle:
JackGraham Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Yup!
Gemdrop Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
:XD: I can't help but laugh at you, sorry. I probably failed worse than that numerous times but yeah, I just don't want to remember.

How old were you btw? :lol:
morbid-angelic Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012
Um, I think I was 14 almost 15 at the time.... :tears:
Ah, that's not too bad. Clumsy teenagers, right? :paranoid:
morbid-angelic Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012
I guess so. It probably helped my case in not getting yelled at by a supervisor, they probably pitied me or something. :rofl:
:lmao: Aww. Well that's a good thing... kinda. Not sure which would be worse, getting yelled at, or not getting yelled at but only because of pity.
morbid-angelic Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
Hmm. Most recently? I knocked my burning hot hair straightener off the counter, then with inconveniently sporadic lightning-fast reflexes, caught it. :stare: That one hurt.

All-time legacies of failures? Well, once I got 98% (49/50) on an enormous school project essay pamphlet-type thing. Why, you ask? I spelled 'the' 'teh' in ONE place. :cries:
Misclicking a horribly set up driver's license test where the instant you select an answer it counts it and failing the whole thing because of it is up there.... :rage:
Hmm. I can't think of anything else right now, though I'm sure there's millions of them. :lol:

Awesome idea for a thread, by the way! :la:
Gemdrop Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
You should stop your reflexes :stare: Somehow.

Teh :crying: That really sucks. I mean really.
morbid-angelic Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012
The sad part is, I succeed in inadvertently stopping them most of the time, when they would actually be, you know, HELPFUL, but... ^^;
hahaha :XD:
:iconmaltese101:
maltese101 Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Student General Artist
I was reading a really good story when suddenly something very unexpected happened and I just go :omg: moved my head so fast to the back I banged the wall.

Hard.
Gemdrop Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Aww :lol: Well at least it wasn't anywhere public?
:iconwizardofunseen:
WizardOfUnseen Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I have a hard time understanding what people are saying, its embarrassing enough
Gemdrop Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Why? :lol:
:iconwizardofunseen:
WizardOfUnseen Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I don't know, my mind trails off
Gemdrop Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Allright :lol:
:iconorange-zeppelin:
Orange-Zeppelin Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I've heard that putting your phone in rice is supposed to absorb all the moisture out of it after that sort of thing happens. I haven't had it happen myself, but I've overheard people saying it works.

In terms of my failures, I almost lost an entire research paper because lost the broken flash drive I kept it on. The lid had gone missing, the loop thing that the lanyard attached to had broken, and I was keeping it in a ziplock baggie because I apparently couldn't be bothered to find a new damn flash drive. back everything uuuuuupppp
Gemdrop Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Oh dear. I always think like, that's not going to happen to me, so I never back up. I know I should, I really should. With my luck it will happen on something really important.
:iconhundredhands:
HundredHands Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
Sorry about your phone, I hope you get it working again! That sort of thing is a bummer but don't beat yourself up too bad, it happens.

Last year I was riding my bike and this guy in a car was going to turn left in front of me. I thought, "he see's me, he definitely see's me, look, he's waiting for me since I have the right-of-way."
CRUNCH! Almost broke my leg off when he pulled right out and hit me. Turns out he was a drunk in a stolen car. I should've been riding more defensively even though I had the right-of-way.
Live and learn.
Add a Comment: