College opinions

I'm currently in college right now, and I personally find a lot of it to be a nice bundle of horse shit. Mostly because I'm lazy, but never mind that. >:[

What are your thoughts on college? Any experiences you remember you'd hate/like to share?

My personal hatred with college usually are the roommates. Each roommate I've had has been a nasty pig. Almost literally. :B
Comments98
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
What I dislike about college is that I don't get anything that my professors said.
That can be a huge problem. :grump:
My cousins are enjoying well enough.
Are you interested in going to college or no?
I never completed my second level education because of family issues, but seven years, later, I've gone back as a mature student. I have my own house so I don't worry about house mates. Only thing I have to worry about is finding the money for travelling on buses, paying rent, bills and feeding my cat. A lot of the people in my year are fucking morons though.
I've been lucky enough to avoid most of the BS. Most of my teachers have been pretty personable and encourage real thinking and discussion rather than just sit-here-and-listen-to-be-talk-for-hours-type classes. The worst of my university experience was living in my rez house first year, and even that was too bad. Just, some of the girls were just too bitchy and catty and constantly partying and getting drunk and bringing random guys home... and if the housemates had parties, I suffered, because my room was right by the front door (drunk people banging away at the door for entrance!), AND right above the common room (music and drunk people at 2am!). But really, it wasn't horrible, and I'm living in an awesome apartment now, so. :shrug:
i remember being in college and performing my music in my psychology class, i didnt want to at first, because i thought it was inappropriate, but everyone was curious to hear me, so i did it.
Why did you perform it there?
i performed it there because on the first day of college in psychology class, the teacher made us do this little activity so everyone could get to know eachother by making us get into groups of 2 and each person interviews the other and writes down their likes dislikes, interests, etc. then we all share the information with the class, i said i made music, and so the teacher says "we'll have to hear it sometimes!", then someone else says, "yeah you should give us a performance". at first i said i dont think i should because it would be inappropriate, since some of my music contains profanity. but the teacher and the students kept insisting that i should perform and they really wanted to hear me. so finally i gave in and agreed and i wrote something that week and performed it sometime later that week or the next week.
I never had trouble with my roommates :o (although, one of them did smoke when I did ask for a non-smoking roommate, but we technically shared a suite. I had a single so it was alright in the end since we didn't share the same room).

I'm in my fourth year, however during my third year of college I had some transfer credit problems since I was abroad so I am going to be finished after two more semesters. I've had some pretty ugly to amazing experiences in college. Mostly ugly due to classes I've had where the professors weren't responsive to the student's needs, or the college itself didn't really care about the students to begin with to a degree.

However, I've made some amazing friends, took some amazing courses, and I've also had some life changing experiences along the way. I was able to travel abroad to Geneva for two and half weeks to look at the UN, to go to the Sundance Film Festival for a short term, to go to Vancouver and attend UBC for a year, and I am going on another short term trip to Ethiopia and Uganda for a service learning trip.

What I should say is always take the toughest courses you want to take, you'll get a LOT more out of than than taking the "easy" courses. I've taken a whole year of political theory (I'm a poli sci major), and it was not easy for me (in fact it was downright difficult!) HOWEVER, I had THE BEST professor (she taught both semesters) and a pretty darn cool TA to boot, and the class was PHENOMENAL. I learned so much (even if my grade wasn't the best). I made lifelong friends in that class, and I am still in contact with that professor regarding her research.

You have to be active in your education, and proactive about your work possibilities regarding internships as well as opportunities to gain experience. I was able to cross reference a doctoral dissertation, that gained me experience in terms of editing fields, and the general feeling as to how a PhD dissertation is written and the process. I am thinking of going for my PhD at some point. I also have done a lot of volunteer work outside of school, and you need to be active in your school's community be it in student government or a club of some sort. College (or university) is what you make it to be.

Sorry for the large amount of text. :B

It helps to keep yourself motivated too to get your work done. :B
I say if you hate it, you're probably not in the right course of study. I changed my major twice and now I love what I'm studying and most of my classes. You just need to find your niche. No matter if you go to college or straight to work there will always be BS to deal with.
Omg I know how you feel 'bout the roommates bit. That was the reason I hated my college at the time. My roommate was seriously hell to live with >___>
She was obsessed with setting her alarm from 4am n had one go off every 15min.....n d sad thing is she DOESN'T wake up at all. I'm the only one there missing sleep.
:lol: I'm like that! Thankfully, I live alone now so I can get away with it. But christ, I couldn't imagine doing that with a roommate around.
And the thing is, I confronted her more than 3 times about it too but she didn't stop U_U
My first semester in college there was a girl that would shit in the showers that the entire floor shared.

Always wear your shower shoes, kids.
I bet that makes you roommates seem much cleaner now, doesn't it Carlos?
Nope, considering that my second roommate slept in trash, and that girl wasn't your roommate :la:
That's still less disgusting than shitting in the showers. That we all had to use.