Closed to new replies
November 29, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 97

College opinions

:icondezenerate:
Dezenerate Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
I'm currently in college right now, and I personally find a lot of it to be a nice bundle of horse shit. Mostly because I'm lazy, but never mind that. >:[

What are your thoughts on college? Any experiences you remember you'd hate/like to share?

My personal hatred with college usually are the roommates. Each roommate I've had has been a nasty pig. Almost literally. :B

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconnecropumpkin:
Necropumpkin Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Student General Artist
What I dislike about college is that I don't get anything that my professors said.
Dezenerate Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012
That can be a huge problem. :grump:
:iconnecropumpkin:
Necropumpkin Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Student General Artist
Yeah...
:iconconstantvariation:
ConstantVariation Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist
My cousins are enjoying well enough.
Dezenerate Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012
Are you interested in going to college or no?
:iconconstantvariation:
ConstantVariation Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist
Sure I am.
:iconsomnusvorus:
Somnusvorus Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012   Digital Artist
I never completed my second level education because of family issues, but seven years, later, I've gone back as a mature student. I have my own house so I don't worry about house mates. Only thing I have to worry about is finding the money for travelling on buses, paying rent, bills and feeding my cat. A lot of the people in my year are fucking morons though.
:iconscribblebees:
ScribbleBees Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
I've been lucky enough to avoid most of the BS. Most of my teachers have been pretty personable and encourage real thinking and discussion rather than just sit-here-and-listen-to-be-talk-for-hours-type classes. The worst of my university experience was living in my rez house first year, and even that was too bad. Just, some of the girls were just too bitchy and catty and constantly partying and getting drunk and bringing random guys home... and if the housemates had parties, I suffered, because my room was right by the front door (drunk people banging away at the door for entrance!), AND right above the common room (music and drunk people at 2am!). But really, it wasn't horrible, and I'm living in an awesome apartment now, so. :shrug:
:iconstxl87:
Stxl87 Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012
i remember being in college and performing my music in my psychology class, i didnt want to at first, because i thought it was inappropriate, but everyone was curious to hear me, so i did it.
Dezenerate Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012
Why did you perform it there?
:iconstxl87:
Stxl87 Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012
i performed it there because on the first day of college in psychology class, the teacher made us do this little activity so everyone could get to know eachother by making us get into groups of 2 and each person interviews the other and writes down their likes dislikes, interests, etc. then we all share the information with the class, i said i made music, and so the teacher says "we'll have to hear it sometimes!", then someone else says, "yeah you should give us a performance". at first i said i dont think i should because it would be inappropriate, since some of my music contains profanity. but the teacher and the students kept insisting that i should perform and they really wanted to hear me. so finally i gave in and agreed and i wrote something that week and performed it sometime later that week or the next week.
:iconthe-theory-liz:
The-Theory-Liz Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I never had trouble with my roommates :o (although, one of them did smoke when I did ask for a non-smoking roommate, but we technically shared a suite. I had a single so it was alright in the end since we didn't share the same room).

I'm in my fourth year, however during my third year of college I had some transfer credit problems since I was abroad so I am going to be finished after two more semesters. I've had some pretty ugly to amazing experiences in college. Mostly ugly due to classes I've had where the professors weren't responsive to the student's needs, or the college itself didn't really care about the students to begin with to a degree.

However, I've made some amazing friends, took some amazing courses, and I've also had some life changing experiences along the way. I was able to travel abroad to Geneva for two and half weeks to look at the UN, to go to the Sundance Film Festival for a short term, to go to Vancouver and attend UBC for a year, and I am going on another short term trip to Ethiopia and Uganda for a service learning trip.

What I should say is always take the toughest courses you want to take, you'll get a LOT more out of than than taking the "easy" courses. I've taken a whole year of political theory (I'm a poli sci major), and it was not easy for me (in fact it was downright difficult!) HOWEVER, I had THE BEST professor (she taught both semesters) and a pretty darn cool TA to boot, and the class was PHENOMENAL. I learned so much (even if my grade wasn't the best). I made lifelong friends in that class, and I am still in contact with that professor regarding her research.

You have to be active in your education, and proactive about your work possibilities regarding internships as well as opportunities to gain experience. I was able to cross reference a doctoral dissertation, that gained me experience in terms of editing fields, and the general feeling as to how a PhD dissertation is written and the process. I am thinking of going for my PhD at some point. I also have done a lot of volunteer work outside of school, and you need to be active in your school's community be it in student government or a club of some sort. College (or university) is what you make it to be.

Sorry for the large amount of text. :B

It helps to keep yourself motivated too to get your work done. :B
:iconcerebellaart:
cerebellaArt Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I say if you hate it, you're probably not in the right course of study. I changed my major twice and now I love what I'm studying and most of my classes. You just need to find your niche. No matter if you go to college or straight to work there will always be BS to deal with.
:iconnoodles919:
noodles919 Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist
Omg I know how you feel 'bout the roommates bit. That was the reason I hated my college at the time. My roommate was seriously hell to live with >___>
How so?
noodles919 Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist
She was obsessed with setting her alarm from 4am n had one go off every 15min.....n d sad thing is she DOESN'T wake up at all. I'm the only one there missing sleep.
:lol: I'm like that! Thankfully, I live alone now so I can get away with it. But christ, I couldn't imagine doing that with a roommate around.
And the thing is, I confronted her more than 3 times about it too but she didn't stop U_U
How awful.
yup
:iconthrow-rug:
throw-rug Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012
My first semester in college there was a girl that would shit in the showers that the entire floor shared.

Always wear your shower shoes, kids.
throw-rug Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012
I bet that makes you roommates seem much cleaner now, doesn't it Carlos?
Nope, considering that my second roommate slept in trash, and that girl wasn't your roommate :la:
throw-rug Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012
That's still less disgusting than shitting in the showers. That we all had to use.
Dezenerate Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012
I hear wet wipes make great baths ~
throw-rug Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012
Not for ladies.
:iconsanguinelaw:
SanguineLaw Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
College was a cakewalk, I found it too easy and boring. Then again I chose the most heinous course ever.
:iconcosmic--chaos:
Cosmic--Chaos Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm a senior, and don't have much to complain about, except for some "Gen-Ed" requirements. I just consider myself extremely fortunate to receive a good education :)
:icondefor:
DeFor Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Student
Last year I took a literature/philosophy course. It was a great program, but it's definitely not what I want to do.
This year I'm taking nothing but art, and it's awesome!
If I wasn't doing art, I would hate college. Especially if it was a normal college, where you have to take multiple subjects a quarter, and had required courses.
:iconcreyk:
creyk Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
A waste of money/effort/time.
I guess it's all right for nerds:bucktooth:
Dezenerate Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012
lol
creyk Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
IKR?
I laugh at those in there:nod:
:iconcosmic--chaos:
Cosmic--Chaos Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
You must be so well off right now. :unimpressed:
creyk Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I am, I am:aww:
:iconsoda-with-cyanide:
soda-with-cyanide Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Student General Artist
I'll be going to college next year, and I'm just a spit away from going bonkers about it, I'm surprised how come I'm not worried sick already...
:iconpinkmitten:
Pinkmitten Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012
I am content with mine. The only complaint is professors requiring me to buy art supplies I would only use once.
What sort of supplies?
:iconpinkmitten:
Pinkmitten Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012
Developing chemicals for photography, RC paper, the filters (Black and White photography). Well it IS a photography class, but it has cost me a lot.
:icondanium:
Danium Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012
IM TO KEWL FOR SKEWL
Dani we all know you're a nerd :iconsciencecatplz:
:iconnosugarjustanger:
nosugarjustanger Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012
I only go to university to get my bachelor's degree and to have fun while I'm there. :lol:

I've learnt a great deal about Marketing since that's my business major, but in the grand scheme of things, I think it's great to learn more but it doesn't make me any more qualified than a person who has the same skill set as me. It makes me a little bit more informed, that's all. And I have the cert to show for it. :shrug: For some of the jobs I want, I need that proof to get me the interviews.
I'm aiming for bachelor's at the moment myself, and boy howdy, what a struggle :stare:

That precious cert is the only thing my parents want to see, lol.
:iconnosugarjustanger:
nosugarjustanger Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012
It's a struggle with or without the degree. Try looking for a job that pays you the kind of money you wanna have as a fresh grad, and it's better with the cert than without.... so the struggle is worth it. ;p

In my case, it wasn't too much of a struggle unless I was approaching my final exams. :crying:
:iconcorvalian:
Corvalian Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
As a Junior with an AS degree, here's how I view college.

Chances of getting a job:

High School drop out: very low, likely stuck working in hourly wage jobs unless you prove yourself to be particularly skilled at something or move up the ladder after years of working hourly wages.

High School/GED: Also really low, but at least more wage jobs are opened up for you.

Some College: Nobody cares, see High School/GED above.

College Degree: You're funneled into a specific field and unless you've chosen one of the select few in demand right now, you'll probably find out all the jobs your degree should qualify you for are taken or have "X amount of years experience required." Wage jobs will look at your resume and say you're overqualified. They'd rather hire some shmuck who doesn't know how badly they're taking advantage of him with shit pay and no benefits. Your chances of getting a job may now be LESS than any of the above for this reason, but at least you spent a shitload of money and filled several years of your life with stress and frustration. Why do we still go? I dunno, hopefully it'll change soon, or we'll be the exception... but mostly I think it's because college is just something you're expected to do in this society, even if the only reason is to gain a small grain of respect. Society wants you to be educated in some way so that you can better contribute, and college is how you prove it. The problem is that society's already full.

Anyways, I'm glad I could add some positivity to your life on this cold winter evening. :nod:
:iconsomnusvorus:
Somnusvorus Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012   Digital Artist
I'm in humanities and I'm a mature student surrounded by clueless and hungover teenagers that are as thick as custard with too much powder in it. So I ignore them and get along with my own studies. So far, I'm actually getting very good grades and feedback. Happy days! :dummy:
:iconjade-abarai-kat:
Jade-Abarai-Kat Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
i go to a community college, so i don't know about having roommates and stuff like that but i really so love all my art teachers, they have helped me so much and are so awesomely cool
[link]
:iconhopeira9:
hopeira9 Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
I went to college once. A full semester. :iconschwancktrueplz:

But it was frustrating as hell, and i was maybe kinda in a big time depression that lasted half a year. Long story short, i think i failed over half my classes, and when i left for winter break, i just never went back.
But one thing i learned, it pays to be social in college. I wasn't, and i could never understand the homework or assignments, but i never joined with any of the study groups, so i never learned the stuff.
:icontokyov:
TokyoV Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
I went for two years and I did not have a good time. The courses in my field of interest were cool, but I had to take a bunch of other courses that were boring, useless, and I sucked at (aka math). That was easily my biggest problem, though I never had a roommate

I'm going back in January, but I'm not looking forward to it.
:iconpriteeboy:
priteeboy Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Closest thing to a college I attend to is what is locally called "TAFE" (I forget what it stands for :p) basically it's like a cheaper alternative that can still teach you the required skills you need in your desired field, but the certificate/diploma has little weight up against the same from a proper college/uni. It wasn't a place you live at either (thank God, because I would despise living with some ass of a roommate, and anyone in college who isn't a nerd is usually an ass :disbelief:) I lived only 10 minutes from the building then anyway :p

My opinion of college based on a lot of what I've read from deviants here (as in - in general, not just this thread) is that it is often a tremendous waste of time and money. Few graduates seem to ever make use use of that expensive piece of cardboard they wasted four years and house-deposit's worth of money getting. Not entirely their fault, too many employers ask for experience over expertise and would sooner take some idiot instead because they "have worked in the industry before". Any job that lets anyone get in without "experience" probably doesn't require a college graduate. It just seems like a great way to rack up a huge debt and I have no desire whatsoever to go :no:
:icondavid-essex:
David-Essex Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
College is only necessary to keep paper manufacturers going.
Add a Comment: