Closed to new replies
November 27, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 34

What is DeviantArt?

:iconmachapanta:
MachaPanta Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Student General Artist
I got into a discussion on what type of site is DA? This other person says that DeviantArt is a collection of personal pages, like Facebook. I say that DeviantArt is more like a hosting domain. I see my Personal Artist Portfolio at [link] as seperate from the host deviantart.com.

DA mainly offers free hosting for second level domains where they make money through advertisements placed on our sites. This is the most common method of domain hosting that I have seen. Yes their site builder is not as flexible as most, but it's because it's for Portfolio Websites. I see it as a new streamlined version.

It's not just a personal page, it goes several levels deep, and I have many pages in my site. I pay Deviantart $5 a month for their advance site tools. I get custom widgets and other features. So while it's not what you think of when you think of traditional a hosting domain, they still offer the same services just with a different look. That is how they make their money. And I see t$5 a month I pay for the Premium Service just the same as I would pay for extra features on a Hosting Domain.

They say that's wrong because not all subdomains on the deviantart domain are for hosted sites. For example: [link] and [link]

If that is the reason, then godaddy.com is not a hosting domain either. For example: [link] and [link]
Not all subdomains on the godaddy domain are for hosted sites.

What do my fellow DA people think, is DA more like Facebook or a Hosting Service?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconrustyironmonger:
rustyironmonger Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Social network focused around the arts that has turned into a freakshow and a troll breeding ground.
:iconwizardofunseen:
WizardOfUnseen Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
You pay 5$ a month? :stare:
MachaPanta Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Student General Artist
Yeah, and I get all these benefits: [link]
:iconwizardofunseen:
WizardOfUnseen Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I am aware of the benefits having been a premiere member myself for 3 months.
MachaPanta Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Student General Artist
Then why were you so surprised that I pay $5? Also just because you have been a Premiere Member does not mean you know all the benefits. They've updated a few of them recently, and there has been at least 1 new benefit last month, and a new benefit this month. The new discount sometimes pays for the $5 fee by it's self.
:iconcup-of-javo:
Cup-of-Javo Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012
What is DeviantART?
Baby don't hurt me...
Don't hurt me...
No more! :sing:
:iconksxzt:
KSXZT Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I love that song. Especially the psycho-trance version of it.
:iconcup-of-javo:
Cup-of-Javo Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2012
Now I have to look this up. O.O
:iconpyrosikth:
PyroSikTh Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
It's an art site. Seriously it's not a hard question to answer, and there's no opinion to it.
:iconartificialphantom:
ARTificialphanTOM Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
A gathering place for all different kinds of weirdos. Mental institution is probably the best analogy.
Add a Comment: