Online fighting / arguments. (?)

Another topic to converse about! Whoop, whoop.
I'm pretty sure this happened to us merely once or twice, or maybe even several times on dA, or any other online community.
I have a question, because this has been haunting me for days for some apparent reason. I will try my best not to go into many details, as I don't want this particular person coming back.
It was over, said and done, and the past is the past. (Yet, that person visited my page, as it came up on my visitors list. So I guess that's why its been bothering me).

Online fighting/ arguments. We all done it. Either it was over something silly, or a serious situation you found important to you.
It takes two to tango, but one always starts the fire. One makes up lies, or the other simply tells the truth, you name it.
But something very particular happened to me. Very long time ago.

I thought the reason why it started, was over something really stupid, so stupid, it still makes me blood pump just thinking about it, because, everything was thrown out of context.
This person, in particular, had a type of emotional problem, and multiple personality (Not lying, that person said it her/himself). First, that person, would merely apologize, but then 10 minutes later, that person would come back and swear at me, telling me how he/she really felt.

But then, it would go over in a cycle. "I'm sorry. Not wait, you're a b*tch. No, I apologize. Hmm, nope, still a low life scum."
Either way, it was really getting on my nerves, so I said nasty things that was likely not to just offend that person, but also offend everyone with that type of condition.
Yes, that person had a condition, and I guess that's why that person could not handle this situation well. (And I guess I couldn't blame that person from coming back, and trying to start again because he/she couldn't help it?? Please correct me on that, because I don't want to throw that out of order.)

Either way, I feel sorry for saying such a nasty thing, and I know people would forgive me, but it's such a horrible thing to say.
I don't regret my feelings for that person, as he/she was being rude to me, but I wish I would have pointed out my anger in another way, than saying something really nasty that would likely offend everyone.
Even though the past is the past, I have this silly little thought in the back of my head that it will eventually come back to haunt me in the future. I'm generally a nice person, but my mental rule is "Give respect, and get respect." That's how I treat people, by that rule.
So I was wondering, has anyone ever said anything nasty, to the point, you regret it? Or maybe, you thought, it doesn't matter, that person got a piece of me?
Comments25
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
If it's someone completely random, I'll give them a reason to pick a fight with me, can't go around playing nice guy forever.
If it's a friend, which in my unfortunate case, I try to solve and it ends up blasting way out of proportion- I mean, I give only one chance, after that, it's pretty much the highway.
As for your question:
Well, it takes a lot for me to speak out of line, or give my "true" piece of mind.
They most likely deserved it for pushing the situation that far. I don't speak on impulse, and I try my hardest to be rational.
Sadly, my nasty habit is holding grudges that could most likely last a lifetime, but once I'm convinced a person will not change, or whatever the case may be,
I'll never associate with them again. No one needs a hindrance like that.
I'm all up for mutuality and all that good stuff, but you have to show some respect to receive it.
Disrespect flows within the stitches and seams of this place we all call home.
Everyone has their own way of handling it, whether being in denial, accepting, or flat out condemning the "offender."
Usually, no, I don't regret things I say to people online. Because first, like you mentioned, the past is the past, what's done is done. You can't do anything about it...unless you have a time machine (lol). Second, the person I argue is online (unless the person is someone I know face to face, then it's a whole 'nother story). Therefore, since I don't know that person well, I don't care what I really say because at least I know I won't see him/her in person and waste my time continuing the argument. And third, from reading your situation, the person might have done this multiple times? So if it was me and I had some sort of similar fight like that and did what you did, then I wouldn't regret it because the way I see it, if the person did it here and there, then that's fine. But if it becomes repetitive, then someone has to lay down the line. Because there is a point where you should understand the person's situation and there is a point where it's too much and you have to put a stop to it and have the person realize what they are doing is not ok.

I hope this, or most of it, answer your question...
I'm really sorry. I tried reading the whole thing but the excessive use of commas became way too distracting to finish it.

However no, I have never regretted anything I have said online. In fact there isn't much I do regret. It's all in the past and not worth dwelling on.
Sorry about that! Sometimes I have a tendency to make a-lot of commas.
I think it's because of I don't like short sentences.

Oh, and thank you for your feedback! Appreciate it.
Haha, I guess my nerves get to me.
You don't like short sentences, so you make it worse by making them a series of even shorter phrases...
I guess? Hmm.
On another website, sadly long gone, a fantabulous and extremely vitriolic argument broke out about who'd win in a fight - Jesus or Hitler - and the replies added in that case even led to the police being called and there being a whole investigation into the thread.

I was supposed to be moderating it, but after a few days I just gave up.
I think it's a shame that when I'm in the middle of an 'argument', the person blocks me.

I assume that I was right all along and they couldn't handle any more of me. :B
Yeah, that happened to me several times. Like, they wouldn't let me reply back, but then, they would make a new account to say the last word, and then block me on that account again. Like the hell?? Obviously that person got some spare times on their hands to do that, lmao ; but they claim they don't give a crap, when in reality, they actually do.

But you know, whatever. :Y
Oh, really? You can report them for that and maybe get them banned. :nod:

:hug:
Have you see the chat sites that broadcast Starcraft 2 tournament? This fighting scenario is nothing compare to Starcraft 2 esports.
LOL. I never seen it, but I know in like... the gaming community, people tend to get really nasty, so. pft.

I don't even bother talking back to most people in gaming communities man. :B
I don't believe in saying stuff I feel bad about later.

Why would I regret anything some idiot says? :O
*So I was wondering, have you ever said something nasty to someone else, to the point you regret it?

That's what the OP really means. :p
I like the literal interpretation more, and I answered that anyway :P
I don't invest myself in internet fights; it really just isn't worth it. I've gotten a bit terse with some people, and I've been sworn up and down before, but at the end of the day, they aren't people I will ever meet or need to worry about in my real life, so they aren't worth the effort, especially when they lapse from heated debate/discussion into name-calling and stuff like that.
Nice thought!
I don't know, I get really rowdy when people get on my nerves. So, I guess that is why I tend to lose my touch with reality.
But you are right, it does not matter in the end of the day, completely.
Especially when they aren't even a main role in your life, at all.
Yeah, I don't think letting something as insignificant as a raging random on the internet bother you is really a good idea. Energy better spent elsewhere, you know?
I said someone's username was bad because they said mine was bad because I liked a certain character in a game since they kept on giving me items.
They made threads calling me an idiot and such.
I was 10 and new to the web. :lol: I didn't know how to handle it! Now I look back on it and laugh at all of its stupidity.
Welp! That's a very mild argument, I would have probably went berserk though at that age, cause I was very immature, lmao.

I would laugh at it too, but if it was something more serious, I probably would have been like, uughhh?? Why did that happen??? jeez.
I believe that people that come to the internet to pick fights with strangers, have serious mental issues and also are nothing but worthless cowards hiding behind a computer :nod:

These people are not worth my time :gallery:
Damn! Well said, lmao.
Never heard that before.
people are just easily offended
"Has anyone ever said anything nasty, to the point, you regret it?"

No,. but maybe they regretted it.