Closed to new replies
November 24, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 39

Stuffing in turkeys

:iconmystichuntress:
mystichuntress Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
You know how you put stuffing in turkeys, roast chicken etc.?

Can you eat that stuffing? And if you eat it, is it good for you?

I've always wondered....because I don't usually eat Western style food, so I don't know....and I ate it, and it doesn't really make me full or anything and it's not inedible...

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconh-irsch:
h-irsch Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I hate almost everything that's a part of Thanksgiving dinners.
:iconbrianmollinson:
BrianMollinson Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
I eat only the stuffing. The chicken part is revolting.
:iconprincess-amy:
Princess-Amy Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I always make the stuffing separately
okay.
So does no one actually put the stuffing in the turkey anymore?
:iconprincess-amy:
Princess-Amy Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I dont actually buy turkey either, Its far too big for my oven at christmas, so i have a large chicken instead!!
But no, i believe everyone i know makes and bakes their stuffing separately from their meat.
:iconmr-timeshadow:
Mr-Timeshadow Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
Nitpick time: it's not stuffing if it isn't in the turkey. If it isn't, it's "dressing". Sure, you can eat it, but they recommend a higher internal temperature if cooked that way, followed by rapid removal the instant the turkey ;eaves the oven. You can call the Butterball hotline for information on that. Seriously! My family once had to cook a turkey in advance to take to my aunt's house (my uncle was near the end and we wanted her to have some sort of Christmas without leaving him), and they told us how to bake it in advance, then slice it and layer it with gravy in a saucepan for re-heating when we got there. Wow! It worked! Everything was tender and juicy and delicious!
There's a difference in name depending on where it is in relation to the turkey!?
Ahhhh I want turkey now!! But it's so expensive here, and you're lucky to even see them, even around Christmas time..
Yes! Stuffing it inside the turkey makes it stuffing, while keeping it separate makes it dressing. The flavor changes, and yes -- health risks do too. Inside, you absorb a lot of the turkey flavor and add moisture, while outside it is a little more dry and keeps the taste of the main ingredients (the breads, vegetables, et cetera). But as I said, the cooking temperature can easily remedy the concerns. Just remove stuffing from the bird immediately, before it can cool, and the salmonella threat is largely eliminated.
Wow, you can't get them there? Here, stores give them away free with enough groceries. You accumulate points for a few weeks, and that earns the right to a free turkey. Decent-sized one, too!
THAT'S AMAZING!!!
Turkeys can cost around $80 here and they're not even good..
Heh. Well, this is a good area for turkeys. Heck, we have actual turkey farms within a short drive from here...
:iconcammieobscura:
CammieObscura Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
I have never had a bad experience with stuffing. My mum always stuffed her turkey using the giblets ( heart, gizzard, liver, etc. ) that she ground up plus bread and other ingredients. I wish I had paid more attention to her recipe because everybody loved her dressing.
Personally, I don't like eating the innards of most animals....but that sounds interesting and somewhat delicious if everyone else loves it.
Well what do you think you eat when you eat some type of sausages? Besides, when you mix it all together with spices and other things you just get a great taste. It is kind of like that boxed "stuffing" only home made and 90% more tasty.
:iconlobosabio:
LoboSabio Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
I don't really know, mainly because my family were full of rebels and always ate ham for Thanksgiving.
We don't celebrate Thanksgiving so.....
:icontamz1988:
tamz1988 Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
gross...my family has never done that simply because if you somehow do not cook it fully you can get food poison n such...plus it's a gross concept to my family though

we put it in a cake dish and bake it separately.
It's just a cheap filler or a side dish. though i suppose some people use it for added flavor since it has celery and onion.
It also helps keep the turkey nice and moist instead of dry near the inside.
we usually just baste ours so its always moist,so i wouldn't know that one.
basting keeps the outside moist, but the turkey cooks on the inside too and an empty cavity will dry the meat inside. Hasn't anybody ever hear the phrase "knock the stuffing out of a turkey"?
i've never had a dry turkey so idk i guess my family has some weird german trick.
I've heard it but i always imagined stuffed animals and fluff flying everywhere..lol
CammieObscura Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
I don't know, to me Thanksgiving wouldn't be the same without cranberries, pumpkin pie, and stuffing! nom nom!
tamz1988 Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
i'd die without broccoli casserole and homemade mac n cheese on my thanksgiving table lol
CammieObscura Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
You must be a bachelorette.
(1 Reply)
:iconredmarlin:
redmarlin Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
It's basically like foam insulation. Helps if it's there, but you probably shouldn't touch it.
oh....so it's just there to keep it from deflating when it's cooking?
:iconredmarlin:
redmarlin Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
No. Actually, people don't really use it to stuff turkeys anymore, they just cook it on the side.
And that was a lie - it's edible and quite delicious to boot.
:iconpakaku:
Pakaku Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
Yeah, it's edible. It also cooks the turkey better.
:iconceltyfoof:
Celtyfoof Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
Some people debate that it isn't good for you because there is a chance it could have salmonella (I think that's how you spell it :D )
If you cook the turkey at the correct temperature there will be no salmonella or even a chance for it.
I know ^^; I was just told that the stuffing may contain traces of it if cooked inside the turkey as some debate it. I wasn't sure of that myself but I thought I would share that some believe that.
:iconpakaku:
Pakaku Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
Cook it properly and the risk is eliminated. This applies to any meat, including 'tainted' meats.
It's just what I have heard I thought that too
But it's cooked, isn't it?
Yes this is just what I have been told, I'm not well educated on the subject.
:iconfelissauria:
Felissauria Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
That's obvious. :laughing:
Add a Comment: