Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 24, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 10

What's the story behind the whole Cthulhu mythos and why is it popular?

:icondafk189:
Sorry to act like I don't know. but unfortunately I really don't know. But what is the story behind the Cthulhu mythos? And why is it so popular? I mean there characters like Cthulhu, Nyarlathotep, some entity called the Old One, and a bunch of other beings and these character keep appearing in tv shows, movies, video games, and so on. Is the Cthulhu mythos some sort of myth that's exists in real life? Cause I keep seeing characters like Cthulhu appear in so many games, movies and so on and I gotta find out what's the story and why it's popular?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconpriteeboy:
priteeboy Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I remember recently dA did a Cthulhu-themed blog and feature, so that would have made some pieces related to it on here get a boost in favourites :shrug:

I guess it joins the rank of equally famous myths that some people still believe. Like Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster :sherlock:
:icon0rg:
Cthulhu is very real, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Mglw'nafh fhthagn-ngah cf'ayak 'vulgtmm vugtlag'n!
:iconheavenhairsixes:
HeavenhairSixes Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Lovecraft wrote genuinely creepy and disturbing stuff. It has been very memorable for anyone who has read it - including a number of other horror writers who later incorporated elements of Lovecraft's 'mythology' into their own work (some of them very popular). It has become a little like a virus. The more people that are touched by it the more it spreads.

There isn't anything real about it.
:iconvanderlylebaby:
VanderlyleBaby Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
This is what Google is for.
:iconendeavor-to-freefall:
"Is the Cthulhu mythos some sort of myth that's exists in real life?"

Oh god my sides.
:iconmanic-cure:
So fake its real.

ok...that was lame...I just wanted to take part in the mockery
:iconendeavor-to-freefall:
I had a feeling I'd see you here, for some reason I associate Cthulhu with you.
:iconmanic-cure:
If Lovecraft were alive I'd have his babies in a horrific ritualistic way. dark room and mysterious, faceless men in robes and all.
:iconjames--steele:
James--Steele Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
It's from the short story "The Call of Cthulhu." I'm not a big fan of the pop culture view of it, but the story is exceedingly amazing. It was written by H.P. Lovecraft, an influential horror writer of the 20th century.
:iconmkemaster:
Mkemaster Nov 24, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
"myth that's exists in real life?" :iconlll-plz:

I believe Cthulhu is just like any other mythical creature, but it is just badass... I mean come one he is badass, that is why he is suddenly popular.
Add a Comment: