Closed to new replies
November 24, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 366

Online interaction

:iconteddypotts:
Teddypotts Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I've been on DeviantART for 7 years, I've come and gone from time to time but managed to maintain a few 'online friendships' on here and on other more social networking sites. Though since the start of the year, I've noticed my 'IRL' and 'URL' friends all becomming much more involved in their own lives. I've watched the people I've known for the last few years slowly break away from me and now I'm staring down another Friday night shattered after work, no-one available to talk too or go see.

Now I find myself looking to find some new people to interact with on here and elsewhere but I keep coming up against a wall. My own awkwardness. I can meet and greet people easily in person, though online I find it much harder. I've struggled to meet many my own age (around 24 years old) with the same interests and keep a good conversation. It feels like I've been walking into that wall for a while now.

What do you, the good and the bad of this forum do when you greet someone for the first time online and how do you keep the conversations and interactions going if the feeling is good?

You can reply as serious or silly as you like, I'm just curious and bored :)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsilnaur:
Silnaur Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I have a really bad habit of only being active on da /sometimes/... so I'll start a conversation, but after a few replies I'll end up not replying again for a week or two and then I feel awkward for trying to continue the discussion so I stop >.>
Teddypotts Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Well, isn't that the idea of the internet? Doesn't it allow people to communicate in almost any fashion. I personally don't mind it when people don't reply for long periods of time, people do lead lives outside of the internet and that does take precedence over the 'URL World'. Feeling awkward for leaving a reply for only a week on a website isn't that bad.
:iconsilnaur:
Silnaur Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Haha, when you put it like that it does seem pretty silly. ^^; But I guess it's partly because everyone has a life outside the URL World that I figure if I leave it too long to reply then they won't remember what the conversation was about.

And I've met people online who think you should reply more frequently... so I guess it just depends.
:iconhungryartistsunited:
hungryartistsunited Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013
Pixel art-vertising: [link]
:iconkey-master-himeko:
Key-Master-Himeko Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013   Traditional Artist
I live under a rock. Highly awkward, but I genuinely care and want to get better at talking to people. Hoping that buzzing around the forums will help that a bit...
As far as your issue comes up I've had the same thing with friends met in MMOs. Life, another guild comes up or what have you and suddenly all that's left is a fond memory and a contact on your list that isn't much more. I have no idea how to remedy this, I'm always more pre-occupied with making sure that they're happy wherever they go...This pretty much always leaves me alone in one way or another.

*Not trying to be emo, I'm perfectly happy where I am now. Just sayin'
Teddypotts Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
You sound like a very thoughtful individual, for to shy away the way you do but to strive to become better at communicating at others is understandable. The issue you brought up through the life of an MMO player watching life and other distractions take those away from you, but not to think in a depressive state but with one of hope they are happy as they are is admirable. I wish I was more kind like that sometimes.

I don't think it is 'emo' at all, infact it just shows a deeper, more mature way at looking at life then to simply shrug it off or dismiss those who move onto other things with disregard. It sounds like your not truly alone, you've kept the memories with you.
Key-Master-Himeko Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013   Traditional Artist
It takes a bit of perspective to get that way, but what also helps is knowing that I've got a small slice of heaven in my everyday life. Even if I didn't know my friends for too long I always hope that when they leave me that their happiness isn't to far behind...It does get lonely sometimes, though xD
It does indeed get lonely from time to time, but having that slice of heaven as you so put it. That helps keeps the blues away right? Having that piece all to yourself so to speak. Everyone finds their own happiness eventually, life allows us to experience the highs and the lows to fully appreciate those moments and those people we hold dear.

It's how we perceive it that makes the difference in the end right? I could say you're pretty darn lucky in that respect.
Key-Master-Himeko Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013   Traditional Artist
Pretty much. My slice of heaven as I put it is an awesome family and knowing that my life could be a lot worse. :3
That is truly a slice of heaven, life indeed could be worse. But when it gets to it's worst point, it's there you can only look up and move once again towards such dreams.
Add a Comment: