Tomboy or girly girl?

Oh, gods... I spent so much time searching for the right place to ut this in because I'm just plain tired and stupid right now.

To the question of the day: Tomboy or girly girl? And yes, I mean it as a girlfriend, lover, crush, whatever romantic. Even as a friend with benefits.

This question is free to answered by anyone who is attracted to females or could imagine they'd be into the fairer sex. So, people, let me hear your thoughts! I would really be glad if you put some soul into that answer and explained why on Earth you prefer your choise.

Thank you and have a fine day! Waiting for your opinions!
Comments148
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Somewhere in between, for relationships, for everything else I'm not too fussy. :shrug:
I'm a tomboy but I've never met a guy who prefers me over a girly girl
That's a shame... Luckily I've met a few. Good luck with finding such!
I've always been considered 'one of the guys' so when we grew up my friends went after girly girls.

Also I don't flirt like normal girls. I use to tackle and fight with guys I liked (even friends not just romantic interests), it was my way of showing physical contact without hugging but they just thought that I was weird and that I should act like 'a normal girl' :(
Well, if I was a boy I would rather go with the tomboyish one because I think girly girl can be pretty "self-centered" (y'know with salon, make-ups etc)
Just if only I WAS a boy lol ^^;
Yeah, that's true...
If I were to go for another woman... I think I'd want someone who fell in the middle. Like Amber from F(X), she looks very tom-boyish, but is still stylish and girly. A good balance.

[link]
She DOES look pretty stylish...
I am such a tomboy that often people mistake me for an actual guy. I find it amusing :lol:
You learn to laugh when it happens all the time :giggle:
Tomboy's I can see being more fun for some reason, just maybe cause you can do more "guy" things together with your partner?
I'm a girlie girl!
Both - I think a balance is just right for me in a partner.
I'd like to know that one doesn't over power the other.

Nobody is perfect but I'd like to think most people have more than one side to them.
Be what you want to be It is the only way you can be happy
Mmm, I am not sure to what extent I could feel serious attraction to another female in that way.
First of, because most of the time I find people my gender either absolutely agravating or completely dull and boring. Secondly, because I have the intention to stay with my current lover who happens to be male. (There was another secondly at first, but I decided to keep that to myself...)

My dislike for the female sex also reflects in fiction also: I almost never like a female character, ever.
However the ones that I do like, tend to go in the same direction and I tend to like them mostly because I think of them as attractive or sexy (without neccessarily feeling attracted to them personally in a sexual way).
They tend to be like this:
- They are powerful: They know what they want and they tend to get it. They don't take shit from people and don't let others walk over them. They definitely do not look up to men.
- They are feminine in appearance: Red lipstick, (dark) dresses that emphasise their nice figures and shoes with high needle heels are part of their look.
- They are very much aware of their sexuality, without being slutty. They use their sexual power to their behalf, but plug out before any real action is to take place.
However, I think my reaction to this kind of person in real life would probably be strongly negative, very possibly because they are proprably very very frustrative to be around. As I suppose most of the time they'd avoke reactions of distaste (for not agreeing with their ways), jealousy (for not being more like them, getting the attention they might get) or frustration (for being able to make them yours).

Anyway, lots of talk and social (self-)analysis, and not answering the question. So here it goes, to answer the question:
In a hypothetical situation I would prefer girliness over tomboy-isness.
I don't really fit into either category :dummy: I don't like pink, I'm not sweet or quiet, I cut my hair short and I rarely wear dresses or make up. Yet I'm not a "tomboy" either, I'm shit at sports, I hang around with other girls, I put some care into my appearance. I suppose I'm Arty/nerdy. I prefer reading to sports or shopping.
I don't see why it has to be put in to those two specific categories. Or any category at all.

it says nothing about them personally, and nothing about how comfortable they would be with me, so it really doesn't point to any specific reason why I would or would not want to date said girl.

There are many reasons I wouldn't date many girls. All of them more often than not involve character and none of them seem to involve whether or not they are "girly" whatever one defines that as.

describing a girl as a "tomboy" IMO is a bit sexist because who's to say how a "girl" should act? if "tomboy" means acting less like the traditional passive role that has for centuries been the unfortunate stereotype of women, then I'd rather have someone who's confident and not passive so yes I'd like what you'd call a "tomboy"

but where is the line drawn? why should we analyze the merit of a woman based on how they act or dress? this says nothing about their humanity.

I'd rather date the loud obnoxious woman who donates to charity and sees me as a human being than the quiet polite girl who supports racism and intolerance.
Firstly, thank you for the long answer, and secondly, I agree. This question of mine is very plain and in many ways stupid, but it is meant to be answered like so. I acknowledge your points and agree on them, though.
I'm a tomboy. My mom actually has to force me to wear lip gloss/nail polish/dresses :(
Pretty much same for me! Don't be afraid, you're not alone ;)