Closed to new replies
November 14, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 58

Getting older.

:iconhumanknotgirl:
humanknotgirl Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012
In this thread we discuss getting older. For example, all of my friends are getting married and having kids. This makes me feel old. It seems like just yesterday we were all in highschool having a good time, and now I'm already through a year of college and starting a job.

Also, I finally had to turn on DPI scaling on my laptop because my eyesight is getting worse. I'M GETTING OLD! *dies*

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconurus-28:
Urus-28 Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
The only thing that remind me my age is the time for recover after a party and things like that :p My body is no more twenty I can feel it, but for the mind I think I'm still young =D
:iconbrianmollinson:
BrianMollinson Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012
Being old is good. It's better than being dead.
:iconimcnaughton:
imcnaughton Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012
I feel like an old man at 23, I wonder how I'll feel at 40...I really don't understand why people say, 'Life is too short', it feels long to me! Not that I'm complaining, I just don't see where they're coming from...
:iconscartalfheim:
scartalfheim Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012
The majority of my friends have kids, some are even on their 2nd/3rd, others are married or in relationships. Some are at university, some have got proper jobs, cars, flats.

I'm 19, My eye sight is shocking (genetically bad has been declining since I was about 9 and has only really just stabled itself) I have mild tinnitus (I worked in nightclubs since I was 18, and I love loud music and jammin with others, again loudly) I dont have a proper job (I tend to work abroad) I dont have a car, I dont have kids and havent had a stable relationship since I was 14 and even then it was abusive so that was all wrong to.

Feeling like a spinster and I'm closing into 20 D=
:icontamz1988:
tamz1988 Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I'll be 24 next thursday on thanksgiving and i keep ancient *insert " UGH, I'M OLD...I'M LIKE THE CRYPT KEEPER!" *

5 years now almost 6years i was sitting in my high school classes as a 12th grader..It literally feels like it was yesterday.Now almost everyone i was friends with is married, has 1-3 kids, my son is due in a matter of months..but i still feel like i'm suppose to wake up early and go sit in class at 8:30am...it's just wrong..Alzheimer early maybe
:iconstripedpower:
StripedPower Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012   Digital Artist
Your eyesight is getting worse because of the laptop, not because of your age. :B
:iconbonnieknox:
BonnieKnox Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
All my friends are getting married too. I could have been married myself, but well, as weird I am, I scare the shit of the men I like. I see myself married, but later than usual

I look several years younger than I really am, but I can not fool my own body. I used to be able to walk using my hands and play all kind of different sports, now I have enough with two days or three at most to the gymn.

I used to be a boxer, a killing machine in training. I am paying now for that. The old injuries always came back, and I have a few

I am still stronger than the average woman my age and younger, but last summer I got involved in a football match with some teenagers from the church I used to go, and shit, my body was sore for a whole week
:iconsomnusvorus:
Somnusvorus Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012   Digital Artist
Hey, at least you are getting old. A lot of kids, who are in hospital right now, will never grow up. Think of it that way.

Myself, I still sit in the middle of my floor and play with Lego. Hell, I played with Lego at college recently. Best fun ever. Don't care about ageing. =]
:iconbrownez-koekoez:
Brownez-Koekoez Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Everybody's changing and I don't feel the same...~♫
Keane
:iconshininginthedarkness:
Common age-related vision problems involve the muscles around the eyes (not the eyes themselves) and usually doesn't kick in until age 40 or later.
You just have bad eyes. If you're getting headaches too you probably need to do something about that.

Squinting gives you eye wrinkles. THEN you'll feel old!
:iconterminallybored:
terminallybored Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I feel old when I find people online who were born in like the late 90s and early 00s, but to be honesti I find it a bit annoying when I hear teenagers and people in their 20s/30s complaining about "being old". You're not OLD until you need a zimmer and have to start wearing nappies again.
:icondestructiveentity:
DestructiveEntity Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012
Definitely feeling older especially after the last couple of years when most of the people I went to school with are having kids. In fact several of them are on their second kid
:iconsaxeh:
saxeh Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Yep , I feel like I'm 48 !
:iconthe-build:
The-Build Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I'd say so far the only disadvantage of being 30 is the dating, women (unless under 25) don't believe in subtlety and so the neediness is very evident and the "children" questions tend to appear around the two month mark (or sometimes less) rather than the healthy 6 month period.

On the bright side though, I can ran fast when I need to.
:iconsansnoir:
SansNoir Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I am 21, 3rd year university, aaaaand, uh, Iunno. I feel like I've wasted my entire life. And I do feel old compared to all the horny teenagers getting pregnant, married, and whatnot, not to mention all the "wat r u doing" retard-speak. Yes, I feel old...
:iconvanhir:
Vanhir Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I'm nearly 20, that makes me feel old let me tell you...
:icondanium:
Danium Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012
I'm refusing to get older so I'll stay in till I'm 40. :icondivaplz:
:iconthespiderfrommars:
TheSpiderFromMars Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I started getting that feeling after I turned 20. Like OMG! I'm turning 21! OMG, I'm turning 22! And in a week, it will OMG, I'm turning 23! So yeah, that's how it is with me. But the same time, it's more a sort of half hearthedly feeling. I'm not really that worried (and since most of my friends don't have kids or anything, you just ignore everything even more). I think I'm most surprised that the years pass by so fast, that's all.
:iconvargson:
Vargson Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Is the age you set on your profile accurate? If so, stop complaining and enjoy your life. That your eyes are getting worse does not necessarily has anything to to with aging, go to an eye-doctor and get some glasses.
If you really start to get older, I suggest denial, it is often helpful.
:icon3wyl:
3wyl Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
How old are they?

My eyesight got worse when I was a kid, but has levelled out now, so if anything happens to it now, I know I'm getting old. :lol:

Perversely, I feel I'm old when I don't feel I am, but I know I am, if that makes sense? :O
humanknotgirl Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012
Well, most of my friends are in my age range (18-23) so it's just bizarre for me. As for my eyesight, it just started to tank upon hitting college, unfortunately.
Oh right, I see. :hmm:

That's pretty young.

Why is that, you think?
:iconpriteeboy:
priteeboy Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I haven't got anything to do with those I went to highschool with. I didn't care enough about any of them to stay in regular contact, but I'm certain some have gotten married and had kids by now, as well as some moving out of their parent's house (which is becoming increasingly rare these days, what young person can afford it? :disbelief:)

I'm just disappointed I'm closer to being a "mid 20's" than an "early 20's" which I could have labelled myself as up to a year or two ago. No-one asks me for ID anymore, no-one refers to me as "kid" anymore. I have to shave daily now. I think I have once been asked if I was married (yeah, like that'll ever happen :paranoid:) but usually the question is do I have a girlfriend/boyfriend, as if people just assume that by my age I would have found someone (I guess most who aren't losers have by this point even if it didn't last...but not me :no:) Teenagers look more and more like little kids every passing year. I remember when I was 12 - someone who was 15 looked so big and intimidating to me, now they look like the 12 year old's :O I can't say my hate for teenagers in new though, I hated e'm even when I was one myself. Video game releases just don't excite me as much as they used to and I find myself criticizing and over-analyzing everything I used to love. No wonder why old people are so joyless :stare:
:iconmisterkhact:
MisterKhact Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012
Bring in the liquor.
:iconnosugarjustanger:
nosugarjustanger Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012
I always laugh when I see my friends getting married this young or younger (I'm 23). A few of my cousins married at 18 and now they looked terrible. :dead:

I am more career-oriented and ambitious, so I don't envy them with their diaper bags.
TheSpiderFromMars Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Married at 18?? OMG, that's extreme!
nosugarjustanger Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012
It is extreme... but not too much. My late grandmother married at 14 and had my dad at 15. :o

I am not going to subscribe to this way of life, though. :no:
TheSpiderFromMars Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I think it's extreme getting married at 18. But on the other hand, it's sooo uncommon here, and many people doesn't marry before they're in their 30's or older. Heck, MY parents married a couple of years ago, after being together for like 25 years (wasn't a classic church wedding though, they just signed some papers, and I found out about it a month later). So, yeah.
nosugarjustanger Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
Ah, that's interesting. My mom and dad married at 25, which is not a bad age when their peers were married at 17-22 and etc. :giggle:

I, on the other hand, don't see myself getting married before 28. :o
Your cousins look terrible because they let themselves go, or...? :O
nosugarjustanger Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012
They had kids too young, too soon and didn't think it through. Now they're 23 and look considerably older and tired. They did let themselves go, for sure. It wouldn't be this way, if they thought it through and maybe set aside some time to build up their finance first. It's a terrible cycle because now they're struggling, and their kids aren't getting the most out of their childhood. :(
That's a fair point.

I do know where you are coming from. :nod:
:iconrobstrand:
RobStrand Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012
You are only as young as you feel. That is why I surround myself with party animals like John McEnroe, Bill Clinton, and Charlie Sheen.
:iconco-phantom:
Co-Phantom Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
My nephew is getting taller than me. That makes me feel old and short. Then he'll go to high school, then my niece will graduate. Then I'll feel super old, even if they're not too much younger than me. :noes:
Are you going to be really protective of them?
Well, their parents take care of most of that. But I'll certainly be there for them when they need me to be. :nod:
I'm glad I am, quite literally, the youngest in my generation of the family.
I'm almost the youngest of my siblings... My sister is only 2 minutes younger than me. :paranoid:
Twins are amazing. :paranoid:
Co-Phantom Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
That's what you think. :noes:
Oh, come on! Can't be that bad. :la:
(1 Reply)
:iconfuyuko7:
Fuyuko7 Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I feel younger by being single :D
What about teen love? People usually start going on dates at age 16...or earlier.
:iconfuyuko7:
Fuyuko7 Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Never dated :shrug:
:icondeithmare:
Deithmare Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
People get married at younger and younger ages these days, and more often than not, they're mistakes in the first place. You're very young, so I wouldn't worry about such things at such an age. After high school, many people feel as though the years fly by, so it's not uncommon.
The average marriage age goes up every year :lol:
Deithmare Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It increases? Tell that to Alabama.
Now, if you're actually from Alabama, I know numbers may be scary, but
(SEE I CAN MAKE FUN OF ALABAMA TOO)

Alabama's average marriage age is 25 for men and 23 for women. This IS a bit younger than the national average for the US, but not lower than several other states, and not all of those are in the south.

Now, as for the change over time, which is indeed the matter at hand, the demographic data I found that average age at first marriage has in fact increased in Alabama, as it has in the whole US since the 1950's- although actually not as much as I thought.
"Average age at first marriage for American women in the 1950s was 23 years.21 By 2008, the median age of first marriage for women
in Alabama is just over 25 years, and 26 years for women across the US.
" source- [link]

You can look the figures up yourself, I'm sure, if you disagree.
Deithmare Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Erm, alright? Antagonize Alabama all you want, it's terrible here. Twenty-five and twenty-three is still low. You can't tell me that even half of the couples getting married at that age are financially stable. I know the majority of people in close proximity to myself either have a poor paying job or no job at all. The point I was trying to make is that marriage shouldn't come that early, if people want to get married at all. Personally, I'm against it because I view it as a pointless money drain.
Well that's a whole different pair of shoes.
But if you're not ready by 25, I'm not sure another 2 or 3 years is going to make that much of a difference :lol:

Also, I got married for $50. I've had lunches that cost more! And doing taxes takes half the time!
Add a Comment: