Closed to new replies
November 8, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 130

Learn german or italian?

:iconb1ackskies:
b1ackskies Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
So I've been studying french, I'll be done with it in a couple of months (je pense que je peux le parle maintenant..)

I can't decide if I want to learn italian or german next. this decision is damn tough for me, lol.

I believe german is way more useful than italian but I think italian is BEAUTIFUL. I like Germany a lot more than Italy (And I also like switzerland and belgium) but I don't care much for how the german language sounds. Even if I really like those countries.

:shrug:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

Flagged as Spam
b1ackskies Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I would never want to study greek.

no interest in greece.
pretty useless language.
too hard.

:/
:iconurfallenangel90:
UrFallenAngel90 Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Language has always been my favorite and strongest subject. I was born and lived in Sicily until I was 13, so Italian and Sicilian are my first languages. I took French, Spanishand mandatory English in high school until freshman year in college, and Greek and Latin in my sophomore-Junior year at college; and my husband, who's of German decent, taught me German (he took it all 4 years of college). I also tech French and Italian in grades 6-12.

There's no reason why you couldn't learn German and Italian both, being their in different families, you might be able to learn them simultaneously without too many problems/confusion, if you'd want. I agree with ^3wyl and ~Scarecrowlover. Knowing English made learning German easier for me because they're both Germanic languages; and knowing Italian made it easier for me to learn French, and extremely easy for me to learn Spanish since they're all romantic languages.
I agree that German would be more useful business-wise, however, before I learned Spanish, knowing Italian helped me communicate with Hispanic customers at the grocery store I used to work at; and with all the people of Hispanic heritage here in the States, Italian could help you out with that. But, it's whichever you want to learn more, if you don't want to learn both of them. One good thing to consider is which one you think you might use more; a lot of people who learn another language that they don't get the opportunity to use a lot, end up loosing a lot of their ability to speak the language. I keep pen-pals and read onlines newspapers of the languages I know just for the reason.

I have some Italian teaching plans and plans I've made to teach my kids German, so if you'd like, I'd be more than happy to help you learn either or both of the languages. I enjoy any opportunities I get to use other languages. Either way, good luck with learning it/them. :D
:iconvowbreaker:
vowbreaker Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012   General Artist
I'd like to speak German. My girlfriend speaks German and all i can say is Wackelkontakt. :crying:
b1ackskies Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
loose connection? XD
:iconvowbreaker:
vowbreaker Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012   General Artist
:eyes:
:iconmosstarkitteh:
MosstarKitteh Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Go with German! It's helped me a lot with my French, plus it's pretty useful business-wise. ^^
b1ackskies Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
..how did german help you with your french?
:iconmosstarkitteh:
MosstarKitteh Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
XD I know it sounds really weird, but taking German ahead of time helped me catch onto simple French grammar quicker than the rest of my class. Plus, there are a couple French/German cognates that aren't like their English translation, so that's kind of like a bonus cookie.
:iconscarecrowlover:
Scarecrowlover Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Overall I'd say German is much more useful than Italian since we only speak Italian it in Italy and perhaps in some parts of Africa. (I'm from Italy ^^; )
However, I have heard that Italian is somewhat easier than German, and the fact that you have been studying french means that you are already well on you way in regards to understanding verbs and tenses. Italian is also very very similar to Spanish, so if you do eventually want to learn Spanish it will be a piece of cake. In fact it is a pretty good gateway to any Latin rooted language.

I guess you really need to ask yourself why you are learning the language. For fun or for Business?

If I had the choice to magically learn 5 languages for business, then I'd probably go with Chinese, Arabic, German, French and Spanish.
However, if I was learning 5 languages for fun, then I'd definitely go for Japanese, Hebrew, Spanish, Russian and maybe German.

P.S.
If you do end up choosing Italian, let me know ;)

Ciao ciao!
Add a Comment: