Otherkin o.O

Ok so.
You can pretty much identify as any gender these days. That's srs business. Gender identity is important.
But now there's.. otherkin o.O
Where people identify as non-human/animals o.O
and
it's not a joke
and
idek
LIKE I GET THE WHOLE "SPIRIT ANIMAL" THING, I'D BE A CAT IF I WAS AN ANIMAL. BUT I'M NOT LIKE. A CAT TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY.
Comments65
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I think I am some sort of Lovecraftian eldritch abomination who somehow got reincarnated or sealed inside a human body.
you're probably right
Horse suits me, i like running neigh neigh
I'm a cat. A Kitty-cat. :stare:
Update: OK GUYS SO APPARENTLY I WAS WRONG ABOUT WHAT OTHERKIN MEANS. TURNS OUT I STUMBLED ACROSS SOME SORT OF FETISHY THING THAT GAVE ME THE WRONG IDEA, HENCE THE KNEE JERK REACTION.

So, I'mma copy and paste what someone kindly explained:

"otherkin are people who believe that they were animals in their past lives. some believe that they were an “animal born in a humans” body, but as an otherkin, i don’t really believe that’s true. i have to respect people’s opinions, though, i realise.

we don’t really “identify” as an animal. we have ‘kintypes’, yes, but that’s just to tell people which animal we believed we were in our past lives. for example my kintype is thylacinekin, if that makes sense; i’m sorry if i don’t make any. "

So it's a reincarnation/spiritual thing, not some modernisticismful prgoressive movement.
I have this sudden urge to comment in this thread... but I don't know what to say. :paranoid:
Let your otherkin speak for you..
ACTUALLY THOGUH
I properly know what otherkin is now. Turns out I stumbled upon a, uhm, more progressive type of people that gave me the wrong impression o.O
But it's apparently a reincarnation thing.
THERE I STARTED A DISCUSSION YOUR TURN :3
I know what it means, but whenever I think about otherkins, I think about ugly people obsessed with some animal they say it's inside them. It's inevitable. :noes: I'm not one of them, by the way. :shifty:

Do you believe on that stuff?
Sometimes I feel like I was meant to be a whole flock of Canadian geese. HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
You are what you feel.
You are the combined spirit of a flock of Canadian geese <3 I wish you luck on your spiritual HONK HONK HONK
Interesting but rather impractical (in today's society) idea.

since you want to identify as a cat... I feel the urge to ask... do you... lick yourself in the nether regions?
I would be able to if I had my cat-reassignment surgery but no surgeon is willing.
If people identify as animals we should be able to treat them as animals...
If you think you are a cat, I'm going to feed you cat food and put you outside at night and make you shit in a litter tray and remove all human luxuries, like technology and clothes etc from you. If you can cope with that then, sure, you're a 'cat'.
If not shut the fuck up and get over yourself, thinking you are another animals is not cool, it's bloody insane.
Ugh no I just want to be a cat stop oppressing me ;-;
If I treat you are a cat and I treat you like a cat, where is the oppression, or should we treat cats as people? btw I know you aren't 'otherkin' just using you as an example if you were...
The thing is, I already treat my own cat like she's a person P:
I'M SO WEIRD THO
But yea if a person wanted to be cat I'd treat them as cat and there begins the fetish side of it :s
And that's ok, I got that you were using me as an example ^_^
Some people are just straight-up insane.
That's not an uncommon concept, but thanks for sharing anyway. I fail to see the discussion factor in this thread. :o
can discuss where the 'otherkin' idea comes from?
I wonder what animal I'd be. People have said cat, koala, fox...
All of those are cool (:
Except that the contrast between koala and fox is kinda large? Considering koala's ten to fall asleep in their trees and fall out, and foxes live in dens and seem fairly active
:lol: The koala one is apparently because I'm so cuddly, and I really like to climb trees.

Otherwise, I'm pretty foxy... err, fox-like.
Strange idea, but theologically feasible. Mankind has been associating portions of their personality with animals for centuries. Stands to reason there would be some person who thought to himself "I do a lot of things like an animal would, perhaps I am an animal in human form".