Closed to new replies
November 2, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 7

Dying My Hair White?

:iconurfallenangel90:
UrFallenAngel90 Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Hey, everyone—I'm in the process of dying my hair white, and I'm having a little trouble.

My hair's a natural blackish-brown and for about 8 year's I've used a semi-permanent blue tint to give it a blue sheen. I stopped using the tint this past spring and all the tint's been cut and faded out. I bought 40 volume developer (the strongest I could find in stores) and powdered hair bleach that lifts up to 7 levels.
I've bleached it 3 times to get as much of the orangey color out of it; the top of my hair's a light blonde, but 3/4 of the length of my hair's still got a slight orangey color to it.

It's been 3 weeks since I last bleached it, and I was wondering what else I could use to take the rest of the oranginess out? I've got a box of ultra light ash blonde I was thinking about using, hoping that the ash tones would cancel out the red tones, but I'm not sure. I've used a few violet wash-out toners (like fancifull) to get it out before I went looking for a white toner (like manic panic), but it didn't work. Any ideas?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconjollygolightly:
JollyGolightly Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
just know, the up-keep will be a bitch from hell!!!!
Urg, I know and it sucks! I've already got about 1" of regrowth, and'll probably have to touch up my roots a million times before it's light enough to turn white.
:shakefish:
:iconpridefulangel:
Pridefulangel Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012
When you bleach dark hair (dark dark brown and black) it will come out orangish.
After it is orange (the first time you bleach it) I think, i'm not 100% sure, that you dye it another color (i don't remember the color)
That color evens out the hue in your hair so when you bleach it again it will go platinum blonde and eventually white.

I'm not 100% sure at all though, it was 4 years ago when my stylist bleached my hair back to borderline white blonde from blackest of black.

I know there is definitely a step between bleaching it the 1st time and bleaching it the 2nd time.

Good luck, don't go bald, and make sure you don't burn your scalp in the process.
I washed out the ultra light ash blonde out of my hair, and it took a lot out, so it's not as orange as it was, but there's still some brassiness and too much yellowness to it, and it didn't completely dye my roots. Hopefully another bleaching and dying process will lighten it enough for the white toner (my luck, probably not).

I'm taking super extra care to not go bald. 8 years ago when I was 14, I'd been highlighting my hair for a couple years and decided I wanted to go platinum, so I bought the Herbal Essence platinum blonde dye. After dying it, it was still uneven, so I redyed it with what I had left. It got warm like usual, but after 5 minutes it kept getting hotter and hotter, and my cousin who was helping me noticed there was literally smoke rolling off me head. I stuck my head under the bathtub faucet and when the water hit my hair, it made a sizzling sound :lmao:. It didn't really damage my hair, or burn my skin, but needless to say, I keep a very watchful eye when dying my hair anycolor now. No need to have my head burst into flames, hahah.
:iconhydris:
hydris Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012
wait 50-60 years.
A cousin of mine was actually almost completely white headed by the time she graduated high school. Looks like I'm gonna have to wait a little while longer, lol.
:iconhippo-rim-job:
hippo-rim-job Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
Then it will be free :la:
Add a Comment: