Closed to new replies
April 23, 2011
Link

Statistics

Replies: 188

Spanking Children

:iconmissdigitalis:
MissDigitalis Featured By Owner Apr 23, 2011
Were you ever spanked when you were a kid?
Do you think that it is effective at all?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconatomicqueen:
atomicqueen Featured By Owner Apr 26, 2011  Student Digital Artist
Once or twice, but normally I was the "golden child" of the family so it didn't happen often. It didn't leave that much of an effect on me so it was a fairly useless form of punishment. Once, though, I made the mistake of swearing in front of my dad. He washed my mouth out with soap. It was disgusting and has forever made me avoid using such language.

He told me many years later that he regretted doing it, though, and for my younger siblings he used different disciplinary techniques.
:iconprofiling-reality:
Profiling-Reality Featured By Owner Apr 25, 2011  Hobbyist General Artist
I was spanked as a kid, I learned fast and I dont really do anything wrong. It could have been because of other things when I was growing up...but...yeah.
:iconmuni-shah:
Muni-Shah Featured By Owner Apr 25, 2011
is the truth!

it at least gives the child something to think about before he/she does something stupid as fuck!
:iconjadedphotographer:
jadedPhotographer Featured By Owner Apr 25, 2011   Photographer
That is old school parenting.
Canes, hangers,leather slippers, black-board dusters and many other random items.
:iconmarcusaralius76:
Marcusaralius76 Featured By Owner Apr 25, 2011
It made me more obedient. I hate the new "laws" making it so you can't spank your kids. When I have kids, I'll spank them into my little minions!

NO! You gotta give them a time out.
When I was little, my mom would take time out of her day to blister our butts!
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Apr 25, 2011  Student General Artist
My mom is not a good reasoning person to ask why she spanked me. When shes really fed up with something, she really takes on other people? Her anger is absolute and lasts for hours. So I can't tell if I really did something wrong, or shes just unreasonbly mad. Occasionally if shes really angry, she's just slaps me once.

When we were younger, she was even worse with the spanking. She once hit my brother with a pool stick on the leg.

Most of time, its really really loud yelling to the point of insanity. You wonder how my dad and I take it everytime she is mad.
:iconworld-hero21:
World-Hero21 Featured By Owner Apr 25, 2011  Hobbyist Writer
A lot. @___@ Sometimes when I didn't even do anything wrong.

It made me afraid of my dad when he would be upset. :fear:
:iconannagiladi:
AnnaGiladi Featured By Owner Apr 25, 2011  Professional General Artist
No, never. My grampa threatened me with a wooden spoon sometimes but never made good on it.
:iconjoebob777:
Joebob777 Featured By Owner Apr 25, 2011
Yes and yes.
:icondoyoulovetanuki:
DoyouloveTanuki Featured By Owner Apr 25, 2011
It was effective.. I'm a goody toe shoes now, but it made me fear my mother. I couldn't even go to her when had problems at school or when I felt depressed an suicidal. It pushed me to the verge of almost hating her cause I didn't understand why she had to hit me half the time.
Thankfully now.. not scared of her. I still hold anger towards ger, but we get along other wise... Jus hard to deal with when your a kid. People asking you if you love your mom and you can't even say yes.
:iconspartankirby:
SpartanKirby Featured By Owner Apr 25, 2011
Ahh the good old days, Got to love European parents <3
:iconsmile71627:
smile71627 Featured By Owner Apr 25, 2011
I've been spanked, and think that it is effective, but the parent needs to know how to use it. They shouldn't spank out of anger or frustration, and they need to rely on other methods.

I really did deserve it ... :lol: ... and think that it should definitely be allowed.
But most people use it as a form of abuse when disciplining ... they don't know how to use it as discipline.
:iconskuldier:
Skuldier Featured By Owner Apr 25, 2011
I got spanked and was ok and have no resentment. I think it's fine as long as it's done responsibly and is effective.
:iconblackfire-dragon:
Blackfire-Dragon Featured By Owner Apr 25, 2011  Hobbyist General Artist
only if done with a spiky glove, like those used for climbing :nod:
:iconblackinfinity666:
BlackInfinity666 Featured By Owner Apr 25, 2011  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I got my ass beat.My parents used to have to take turns whooping me lol.Did it help? I don't know....
:icondarkprincess1989:
DarkPrincess1989 Featured By Owner Apr 25, 2011  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
several times, but not in an abusive way.
but I still think it's unfair and not a good educative practice.
put your kid in a corner or something is way more effective
:iconratpackswaggah:
RatPackSwaggaH Featured By Owner Apr 25, 2011
I was spanked by my parents multiple times when I was a child. They would buy canes to hit me, sometimes use a ruler or a comb. Due to my butthurt nature, I always snarled hurtful things in return and threatened to do many stupid things. Now I'm older, I think I definitely deserved it, and I behaved stupidly. Still, all that spanking has made me a rough and violent sort of person.
:iconnosugarjustanger:
nosugarjustanger Featured By Owner Apr 25, 2011
No, I wasn't spanked at all, but my mom did smacked me on my butt once and it was just meant as a shock, I think, cuz it wasn't painful. It was just to get me to snap out of it when I was so stubborn and did stupid things. But other than that, they only gave me tense reminders when they didn't like what I said or whatever. I love me parents. :aww:
:iconkiiyytandco:
kiiyytandco Featured By Owner Apr 25, 2011  Hobbyist General Artist
Yep. I knew if I did something wrong, my parents would whip my ass.
:iconjessicaprower:
JessicaPrower Featured By Owner Apr 25, 2011
Yes. It's hurt like hell, and I got scared of almost everyone for a few days after that.
:iconstevefranciscus:
SteveFranciscus Featured By Owner Apr 24, 2011
People who spank children are complete bastards.
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Apr 24, 2011  Hobbyist General Artist
Yeah, and I had it coming.
:icontwoputt:
twoputt Featured By Owner Apr 24, 2011   Digital Artist
I struggle to reminisce the details of my childhood, but my dad says that he didn't (believable), and my mom reluctantly said no (hard to believe).
:iconpicturefragments:
picturefragments Featured By Owner Apr 24, 2011  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Our parents used to spank us in the face. It stopped being effective when I got big enough to catch a punch.
:iconj0j2:
J0j2 Featured By Owner Apr 24, 2011  Hobbyist General Artist
Sounds...like...CHILD ABUSE! :D

It's effective in making you afraid of a parent because they enacted physical violence on their own offspring. What message does this give us?
MissDigitalis Featured By Owner Apr 24, 2011
I think some kids are smart enough to realize the parents are spanking them to teach them not to do something when nothing else works.
:iconedgarsideways:
EdgarSideways Featured By Owner Apr 24, 2011
I was spanked - sideways. - Edgar
:iconwildsidesky:
WildsideSky Featured By Owner Apr 24, 2011  Student Photographer
hell yes it's effective
:iconazngirllh:
azngirlLH Featured By Owner Apr 24, 2011
I got spanked all the time when I was in elementary school/junior high school. If I don't get straight As in school, I get a certain amount of spanks for every grade that is not an A. When I get an A-, I usually get scolded. When I get a B+, I might be lucky and just get a scolding instead.

I'm the oldest in my family and my dad doesn't like how his first child wasn't a boy, so whenever my younger brother does something wrong, my dad hits/spanks me because it was suppose to be my responsibility to keep my little brother under control.

If I talk too much, cry too much, raise my voice, or anything annoying, I get spanked.

When I get spanked, I have to lay down, my face towards the pillow, and my dad takes out the belt. Sometimes he hits my thighs instead if he thinks he's done enough on my butt. :smoking:
Are you serious? o_O

If so I have to say that your dad is retarded and has no sense of justice whatsoever.
:iconazngirllh:
azngirlLH Featured By Owner Apr 24, 2011
Nah, he's not retarded, I think most children of Asian immigrants are disciplined that way. :noes:

The funny thing is now I'm somewhat afraid to talk and go outside and interact with people (minus my friends, school mates, etc.) and my dad is calling me a useless child with a mental illness because he doesn't see me talking a lot. Sometimes I get in trouble for that.
I maintain my stance.
:iconloveinthesnow:
LOVEintheSNOW Featured By Owner Apr 24, 2011  Hobbyist
I only got spanked when I did something really bad. I'd say it was pretty effective, especially when the other things didn't work.

I don't plan on having kids, so no worries about deciding punishment!
:iconkabya19:
kabya19 Featured By Owner Apr 24, 2011  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I never got spanked when I was a kid, and I turned out fine. But my Dad WAS spanked as a kid, and he turned out fine. Then again I've seen the oposate happen. Spanking your child is not abuse in my opinion. But I think it's naive to assume that spanking's a sure fire way to raise your children. You need to find a balance.
:icongarythefrog:
GaryTheFrog Featured By Owner Apr 24, 2011  Student General Artist
Yeah, I used to get a 'smacked bottom' when I was younger for being bad. It made me terrified of my dad, but I was too young to remember really. Now though, he hates talking about it and I feel ashamed that he used to do it. It's made me somewhat intolerant of bratty kids ( I think..)
:iconameliewolf43:
AMELIEwolf43 Featured By Owner Apr 24, 2011  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
i got spanked...but i dont think it was effective at all,because whatever it was that i did,i just did it again and made sure i didnt get caught that time.
I was spanked up until I was 18 years old but I wouldn't exactly call the last years "spankings" so much as beatings. I think that spanking CAN be effective if the adults are consistent and justified in what they're punishing for. After my parents started beating me for unjustified reasons they didn't work at all and just made me very resentful and scared.
:iconzarddramon:
Zarddramon Featured By Owner Apr 24, 2011
Oh baby, spanking, this thread is turning me on. :eyes: Especially since *Rayum's responded. :iconisupercameplz:

My parents never spanked me, and now I have a fetish for it. Instead they just yelled at me mostly, with occasional whacks depending on their mood. I was hit with a rolled-up newspaper once or twice.
:iconytcyberpunk:
YTcyberpunk Featured By Owner Apr 24, 2011  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I was spanked as a kid, yes. I was not terribly bothered by it; your bum is padded, so it's not at all the same as being hit on the face or anywhere else on your body.

That being said, I don't know that spanking, or any of my parents' punishments, was very effective. My parents were not very consistent with what actions would and would not lead to punishment, so it didn't work out so well.
:iconzanarky:
Zanarky Featured By Owner Apr 24, 2011  Hobbyist Photographer
Never got spanked. I got hot sauce poured down my throat. Not cool.
Oh wow that's harsh!

Lucky for me I have a taste for spicy stuff.
:icongemdrop:
Gemdrop Featured By Owner Apr 24, 2011  Hobbyist Photographer
No. Or at least I dont remember :paranoid:
:iconlaemperatrizmariana:
LaEmperatrizMariana Featured By Owner Apr 24, 2011  Hobbyist General Artist
Yes, and I think it was effective. Probably because I was very young when that happened and I understood that whatever it was it was bad. All I know is that spanking no longer works for children 3 and up, without an explanation and after 5, spanking doesn't work at all. I would spank my children, if I have any, but I wouldn't use a belt or a ruler. :B
:icon3wyl:
3wyl Featured By Owner Apr 24, 2011  Hobbyist General Artist
Yep... not sure if it was effective. Sure, I guess it shut my sister and I up, but we just did it again after a few weeks, so...

It's effective in the way that if anyone hits me again, I'll hit them twice as hard. I don't put up with the shit any more. :B

...and no, if I ever have children, I wouldn't ever do this.
:iconpriteeboy:
priteeboy Featured By Owner Apr 24, 2011  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I did the the occasional smack when I was naughty. Sure I hated it like Hell and thought my mother was "bad" for doing something so mean. But now that I'm older I don't care. I can only recall one instance when I was hit a lot more times than is justified, every other time I'm sure I deserved it and after each one it kept me on good tracks for a while afterwards, so it works but like everything it wears off over time and needs refreshing :spank:

But the main punishment I and my brothers got was having our favourite toys taken away or smashed...Oh how I miss my light-up auto-rolling flashing ball that was tragically smashed to bits in the mall because I got into a fight with my brother :heartbreaker:
I think I'd rather get spanked than have my stuff broken.
:iconpriteeboy:
priteeboy Featured By Owner Apr 24, 2011  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Many times I did too. The sore butt or hand got better by the next day. The smashed toys were never replaced :tears:
:icon2lazy2talk:
2lazy2talk Featured By Owner Apr 24, 2011  Hobbyist Digital Artist
it was 100% effective but stopped hurting after my 10th birthday or so but by then i didn't need any. My children can expect the same education style.
:iconmet388:
Met388 Featured By Owner Apr 24, 2011
The only thing good about it was it made me resistant to pain.
I remember the day my parent realized they couldn't hurt me anymore through physical actions.
:icondewi:
dewi Featured By Owner Apr 25, 2011
you raise an interesting point. I vividly remember the last spanking I got. I remember not crying and thinking to myself, "pfffffffft, that was nuthin!" He never spanked me again. I wonder if he picked up on that vibe. interesting.....
Add a Comment: