7000 Points To Spend: Spooky Creepy Pictures

Show me what kind of art you do (thumbnail if possible) and how much you would charge per picture.

I hope to get a lot of pictures, so don't reply if you charge more than 1000 points.
I may commission several pictures from the same artists, or one picture each of several artists.

I'm looking for: spooky townscapes and landscapes, ghosts, vampires, zombies, dogs. Almost any style, as long as it's spooky or creepy.

I'm not looking for: chibis, sexy pictures, cute stuff.

The pictures need to be horizontal (twice as wide as high), and the main colour needs to be blue. The mood must be spooky or creepy.

Please note I pay points after I've received the picture. There are too many artists on DeviantArt who take advance payment and never deliver - I've been burnt in the past. Please apply only if payment on delivery is acceptable. 

Thirty Scary Tales - Rayne Hall - book cover by RayneHall

I'm a horror author and I'm posting about my books in the social media. I send tweets "My horror stories are more creepy than gory" and attach a creepy picture to the the message across.

IF YOU DON'T SHOW ME A RELEVANT PICTURE AND DON'T NAME A SPECIFIC PRICE I WILL NOT CONSIDER YOU.
Comments100
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I have enough pictures now. Six artists have contributed delightful creepy pictures which I'm showcasing on Twitter. They've all received their points already. 

Interestingly, a person from DeviantArt used this thread to badmouth me.  It was someone who once applied to me for a commission, and when I turned them down, they couldn't take the rejection. So now this person tries to prevent others. The phrase 'sour grapes' comes to mind. :-)

Anyway, it was a pleasure working with you, folks, and I hope this small commission was a stepping stone towards greater things for you, and that you'll go far on your art path.

Rayne
Commission for RayneHall by WhiteNoiseGhost
I have finished your commission. Please send me the payment as soon as possible, thank you.
I love it. Is this really twice as wide as high? Maybe it's an optical illusion, but it doesn't look right. 
I'll send the points anyway, so you don't have to wait. Maybe you can tweak the image to the required format. Otherwise I'll stretch it, though this would distort the heads.
Actually, I've just tried stretching the picture to fit the required format - and it looks cool. So if you're ok with it, I'll keep it that way. I've sent the points. :-)
Here's my reply to the interesting comment posted by someone from DeviantArt who has blocked replies to their comment.

:-) :-) :-) 

I've commissioned hundreds of artists professionally, and am giving a chance to newcomers. I'm paying them as promptly as I pay my professional artists - the same day. The artists I commissioned in this thread will confirm it. And so will the professionals I've worked with.

All the professionals I've worked with find my terms acceptable. Several are regulars who work for me again and again.

In this case, I'm showcasing the work of new artists to an audience of 80,000 eager viewers, with the artist's name on the picture. You call that 'commercial use'?

Most artists like that idea very much, and many would be happy to provide art for free to get that kind of exposure. I'm actually paying them AND giving them exposure.

Someone doesn't like getting showcased and paid? Guess what: you don't have to do it.

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

ARTISTS: DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETE ANY WORK, ESPECIALLY "COMMERCIAL USE" ART, AS THAT IS WHAT THIS IS, WITHOUT FIRST RECEIVING PAYMENT. DO NOT GIVE FINAL ARTWORK, OR EVEN A SKETCH BEFORE PAYMENT.

User looking to Commission:
If you are an Author, you need to be spending more than 1000 points per artwork (which equals $10 for Artists using the Commission Widget) most Commercial Use illustration work is charged on the upper end of $100-200+ PER illustration, for your commercial use book art, even if it is just for an "e-book" or a small publishable book or even if it is for Promotion of your work on social media, you are still commissioning what is considered to be COMMERCIAL USE ART. $10 is lunch money at most, and is absurd to be an offer for a Book Illustration of ANY kind.

You also need to pay an Artist upfront, at least to cover the cost of the sketch, then pay the remainder after receiving the sketch.

Not paying til you see the final picture is NOT how illustration works in the Professional world, nor does it work that way online, especially in a Projects forum where mostly youthful Hobbyist Artists are responding and bound to be royally ripped off by users looking for this exact scenario you have described in your "offer" to commission someone.

If you have managed to get Commercial Use Art commissioned at the rate of $10/1000 points ea. illustration and paying AFTER you see the art, you have encountered an Artist who you are royally screwing over in terms of payment AND respect of their work. Rethink your offers next time you are thinking of posting, because this sort of work for the sort of payment plan & amount is absolutely insulting, regardless of what level of experience the Artist has.
thanks for this comment. It's a good reminder.
Aye! 

It seems the poor fellow is still trying to paint his words as gold when they are indeed just ash, and keeps copy + pasting his response in hopes of a confused / less experienced Artist to believe his words which promise payment after art (wrong order, sir) that amounts to $10 and exposure via their online following, which in no way, is exposure ever an okay form to compensate for poor payment. Which, even for them, it's unfortunate, especially since they call themselves and Author, but have ZERO respect for Artists, especially for beginning Artists that know no better that being paid $10 for Promotional Material for a Publishable book is not at all acceptable terms of payment. I certainly hope they get a good knock of wisdom and realize that art is a form of work just as writing is, and deserves proper payment, not offers to cover for someone's meal at McDonald's. 

Alas, we're left to come across these sorts online once in while, but I try to warn others when I find the content to be of severe mentioning. 

I've since blocked him, since I have no need to communicate with him, but to post my warnings for the better of Artists on this thread. (:
Paradox of the Beast by WhiteNoiseGhost

Mature Content

Mermaid by WhiteNoiseGhost

900 points for a full drawing like either of these sounds fair to me, and I'm okay with receiving the payment afterwards as well.
Have I managed to pique your interest?
Sounds good. I like both styles. Which do you prefer?
How about a ghost?
The picture needs to be horizontal, twice as wide as high, with blue as the main colour, and creepy.
I'd prefer to do the first style (the one without maturity filter) since I'd love to have some more of it uploaded to my gallery. On top of that, I think a ghost would have more potential to look terrifying in a picture of that style.
Drawing horizontal would be no problem, and I shall also keep your wish for the colour blue in mind.
What kind of ghost did you picture in your head? One with a more humanoid (a little ghost girl?) or an abstract shape?
I write a lot of ghost stories, so any kind of ghost will work. Though I quite fancy an abstract shape if you can do that. Make it creepy. :-) 

I'll note you my email address as well, so you can contact me outside DA if needed. 
Gotcha, consider it done. I'll most likely have it done anywhere between now and a week.
ARTISTS: DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETE ANY WORK, ESPECIALLY "COMMERCIAL USE" ART, AS THAT IS WHAT THIS IS, WITHOUT FIRST RECEIVING PAYMENT. DO NOT GIVE FINAL ARTWORK, OR EVEN A SKETCH BEFORE PAYMENT. 
((Also the "author"'s offer of $10/1000 points per illustration is severely underpaying the Artist for art that is going to be used as Promotional Material for their Book they are publishing. Do not ever accept Commercial Use art of that low of payment.))
But why would it be underpayment? A work like that would be 900 points; means 300 points per hour since it takes that long to complete it.
WhiteNoiseGhost 
Underpayment because the user is going to using it to promote their publishable material, which is considered Commercial Use Art, which in most cases Commercial Use art, if handled properly should be no less than $50 w/ legal contract, though usually w/o contract averages $200-300 per illustration. Regardless of any level of experience of Artist, and regardless of any promises of "exposure". If they had an ounce of respect for Artists, which they should if they are indeed an actual Author, they shouldn't be screwing y'all over that hard. When you make Commercial Use art you need to charge more to cover the cost of usage that the Commissioner will be using the art for. (: 

And not only that, but it is best to only accept commissions AFTER having received payment to cover at least the cost of the sketch first. People don't get their Starbucks before they pay for it, and Art is the same way in the Professional world, regardless of how small a transaction or skill level of the Artist.

It seems the poor fellow is still trying to paint his words as gold when they are indeed just ash, and keeps copy + pasting his response in hopes of a confused / less experienced Artist to believe his words which promise payment after art (wrong order, sir) that amounts to $10 and exposure via their online following, which in no way, is exposure ever an okay form to compensate for poor payment. Which, even for them, it's unfortunate, especially since they call themselves and Author, but have ZERO respect for Artists, especially for beginning Artists that know no better that being paid $10 for Promotional Material for a Publishable book is not at all acceptable terms of payment. I certainly hope they get a good knock of wisdom and realize that art is a form of work just as writing is, and deserves proper payment, not offers to cover for someone's meal at McDonald's. 

Alas, we're left to come across these sorts online once in while, but I try to warn others when I find the content to be of severe mentioning. 

I've since blocked him, since I have no need to communicate with him, but to post my warnings for the better of Artists on this thread. (:
Here's my reply to the interesting comment posted by someone from DeviantArt who replied to your comment has blocked replies from me.

:-) (Smile) :-) (Smile) :-) (Smile) 

Underpayment? I don't see that either, especially since artists can name their own price which I then accept or don't. 

It's not commercial use either. I'm not making money from this.  I'm showcasing the work of new artists to an audience of 80,000 eager viewers, with the artist's name on the picture.  

Most artists are eager for that sort of exposure and grateful to get it. And to get actually paid... most would jump at the chance.

Anyone who doesn't like exposure and payment doesn't have to do it. :-) 

I've commissioned hundreds of artists professionally, and am giving a chance to newcomers. I'm paying them as promptly as I pay my professional artists - the same day. The artists I commissioned in this thread will confirm it. And so will the professionals I've worked with.

All the professionals I've worked with find my terms acceptable. Several are regulars who work for me again and again.
It's only wannabes who have problems with it.

Completed pictures so far:

mrbeanish 10 points:
 COMMISSIION for RayneHall by mrbeanish

tennysonwu 750 points: 
Commission: Hungry Male Vampire for RayneHall by tennysonwu
((Also the "author"'s offer of $10/1000 points per illustration is severely underpaying the Artist for art that is going to be used as Promotional Material for their Book they are publishing. Do not ever accept Commercial Use art of that low of payment.))
Thx for the advice