Commissions - How Does One Get Started?

I posted a journal umpteen months ago saying how I was thinking about starting taking commissions and stuff, but nothing ever really came of that. I'm hoping to get started doing this for real, but I'm not really sure where I'd even get started. I'm not sure how to get myself out there, and I don't know how I'd figure out what I'm worth, so to speak. I suppose I'd just have to figure out what people would pay me to draw something for them. So I suppose in addition to the title question, I'd ask what you out there think? I'll ask this question in two ways: 1 - What would you want to pay for a piece similar to something in my gallery? 2 - What would be the most you would pay for something I could make? Also, how would I go about getting the word out that I'm doing this at all? Are there any particular groups I should join?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated, especially things I didn't mention. I can say that I honestly have no idea what I'm doing. XP
Comments12
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
You've got nice work! I think this style of yours is very "commission-able":
Menacing Bunch by Shaidz

In my opinion, it helps to have a lot of consistent examples of the kind of art you offer (for example: full body colored, anthro, human, etc) - so that people have a good idea of what they'll be getting when they commission you. It also helps if you draw a lot in general, and people can see you're active on DA and easy to communicate with. Making a commission price list (via journal or deviation) will help you get the word out - be sure to post it in the forum (on threads where people are seeking art) and in groups like Commission-network, Commission-Share, CommissionPromoter, and Commission-I. As for pricing, everyone has different advice about that, so look around at other commissions and you'll get the hang of it :) Remember you can always change your prices as you go along, too. Good luck!
Thanks so much for the advice! I'm flattered that you think my style is decent! :iconblushplz:

I will definitely look into your suggestions!
When it comes to getting commissions on dA, you need to consider what other artists with similar styles are doing, and how active you are. Knowing those will answer your two questions. Price doesn't matter if everyone else with a similar style is charging a certain amount and if they're hilariously popular. Price also doesn't matter if people aren't interested. You could sell it for 1 cent and they still don't have to want it.

I think. from experience and commission articles on dA I've read, the most important things you can do are: 1. Engage dA 2. Look for commissions 3. Continue making art you enjoy. Once people in whatever circle you choose on dA start recognizing you, you start having watchers, etc, you have a support system for your art. They won't necessarily buy, but your getting a attention and being shared by them lets other people see you. When you look for commissions, search the forums and journals because people will sometimes say, "Hey, I need this, send me your info". Granted, there are a lot of people trying to get picked too, but sometimes people will remember you and ask later. Ultimately, you need to make art. If people don't see what you do, they ultimately won't have an interest. Submit to relevant groups, not necessarily commission groups, but if you do anthro work, submit to anthro groups and pop down in your description, "Hey, I do commissions like this here's my info if you're interested."

Despite all this, I can't stress enough wait. People are not going to start pouring in after all this stuff (unless you have like 300,000 watchers or something). This is a slow process. After waiting, the most important thing to do other than engaging the community is to continue to improve your art, if you have fabulous quality people are likely to ask you if you take commissions.
Thanks so much for the feedback! I'll try out your advice! :D
I'm only two weeks more experienced with commissions than you, but I'll try my best ;P

I think pricing depends on two things: effort and appeal. You should be pricing based on how much you think your time is worth and how much others like your work. (By that I mean quality, style, etc. Depends on the buyer.)

That being said, underpricing is better than overpricing when you start out in my opinion. One commission takes me 1-2 hours and they're generally good quality, but I price really cheaply because I'm just looking to practice and get my name out there before making money. Not sure if it's the same for you.

There are dozens upon dozens of groups that promote commissions - just join a few and paste some work in their galleries.

Personally, I started commissions just by posting in this forum. From what I've seen, replying to people looking for commissions is generally more effective than starting your own thread. Just by throwing a couple comments around I've gotten 7 or so sketch commissions and one detailed request in the past week.

If your art is good (I think it is) and you take the time to reach out to people, you should see results. ^^
Thanks so much for the input! I'll definitely take it into consideration! :D

Do you think you could link me to a couple of those commission groups you were talking about? I could probably find them myself, but a little help would be really nice!
Since I'm on mobile, Commission-network is the only one off the top of my head.

MissMignonne above makes a good point - it's good to join interest groups as well. People like commissioning for their OCs and fanfics and stuff… >.>
Thanks. I'll take it into consideration.
Thanks for the input! I'll take a look at some of this stuff! :D
Let me give you a tip

There are 2 ways

1. they pay you with points (commission)
2. They pay you with art (art-trade)

Its up to you to do what you want.
If you can't understand a thing please tell it so I can help somehow