Need help setting point commission prices!

I am thinking of opening point commissions soon but since this is my first time doing commissions, I would like feedback/advice on my tentative prices before I go through with it.  Below are examples of the kinds of commissions that I plan to offer as well as the tentative prices--please let me know if you think these prices would be fair, too low, or too high and whether you think people would consider commissioning me!  Depending on the complexity of the piece and my schedule, it could take me anywhere from a day to a week or so to finish the artwork so I am also trying to factor that into determining my prices.  All my commissions would be full-colored with either a simple or transparent background, and prices are for one character only.

Simple blinking pixel avatar (headshot): 300 :points:
Tsumugu Pixel Icon by shiniXIII  
Full-body Chibi: 350 :points:
Summer High Tension! by shiniXIII  
Headshot: 500 :points:
Art Trade: Pepedecoco by shiniXIII  
Bust: 650 :points:
THANK YOU 10k PV, 100 +watch, and 1000 llamas!! by shiniXIII   
3/4: 800 :points:
SS 2014: Rani-ki by shiniXIII   

Thank you!~:heart: I appreciate all the feedback/suggestions!
Comments18
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
amg I'm sorry I couldn't help with something like this bc I never do one before, but I'll definitely order a bust commission when you're open!
good luck!
Ahh it's okay; I really appreciate you looking through my post regardless! :D  I hope to open commissions soon once I figure out Paypal to allow a USD payment option! ^^
amg so nice ;7;
imma check on your commissions rn uwu
Ahhh thank you so much!~:tighthug: Feel free to take your time!<333
mmhmm! I'll note you soon! <33
Ooh yay I look forward to it!  Thank you so much ;u;<3
Your coloring is gorgeous. I think you should raise the prices, especially on any piece you spend long hours on.

If you put in a lot of time and effort to produce quality work, you should definitely get paid more.

Hit me up when you're ready to start commissioning, I want to buy a chibi artwork from you.
Thank you so much for your feedback!  I was thinking that my prices might be a bit low but since I'm new to commissions, I was afraid of setting higher prices since I didn't want to come across as too full of myself.  In your opinion, would you think the prices would seem more fair if I raised them by 100-200 points (depending on the commission type ie. 3/4 would more likely increase by 200 pts but headshot might just increase by 100 pts, etc.) or by less/more?  Or rather, for your chibi commission, how much would you think is fair?

I will definitely let you know once commissions are open; thank you in advance!! :D
Well let's see here, I'm using this point calculatorDeviantArt Point Calculator by charfade :

Pixel avatar at 300 points= $3.75
chibi at 350 points= $4.38
headshot at 500 points= $$6.25
bust at 650 points= $8.13
3/4 at 800 points= $10.00

I really think you are underpricing all of your commissions. Definitely raise the prices, use the point calculator to help you figure out a fair price. I would personally pay 960 points for a full colored chibi from you. That's the equivalent of $12! Be really honest, would you really want only a measly $3.75 for spending hours on end creating a pixel avatar? An animated and colored one no less! 

I understand about hesitating when it comes to pricing, I'm sort of new to commission work as well, so I can relate. Don't ever think that you are full of it. You as the creator of your work know how much time, effort, cost of art supplies it took to create your work. Based on that, you deserve to earn a fair amount. If you still feel uncomfortable charging too much, then you should consider selling uncolored and un-inked artwork. Think of it this way, the cheaper the price, the "cheaper" the quality.

Good luck^^
Oh my gosh THANK YOU SO MUCH for converting all the point prices for me and showing me that wonderful calculator! :tighthug:  I super appreciate it!!

I'm considering adding a Paypal option so I might adjust the prices a little to match the 80 points = $1 but I will let you know once I can open commissions.  Right now the single chibi commission will probably be around $5/400 points and I'll still keep the prices on the slightly lower side just to test the waters and see how much interest I can generate.  I might just take 5-6 slots and then if they fill up quickly, maybe I'll raise prices in the future.  I'm also not a "popular" artist in any way so I'm not expecting a large demand of commissions and would like to keep my prices reasonably low for now.

Thank you so much for your feedback and all your help!  I definitely agree that I shouldn't sell myself for too low and instead ask for a price that is reflective of how much work I put into it, so I will consider offering "cheaper" artwork as well ie. lineart :D
No problem, good luck^^
In real life prices, I personally think you should raise them.

If you plan on selling from dA though, the problem with point commissions is that a lot of people here don't have many points, therefore might have trouble paying those prices. Or, you could keep those prices and maybe get one or two commissions, or lower them and get more commissions.

In the end, its up to you for your prices, but if you want to sell them on the dA projects forum, I suggest possibly lowering them, and raise them as you get more commissions :)
Thank you so much for your feedback!  I am considering opening a paypal account so that I can accept USD as well as points.  I will most likely keep the points/USD around the same amount (80 points = $1) but I will take your advice and consider raising the prices.  In terms of real money, do you think an increase in $1-2 from the current point prices (ie. treat 600 points like $6) would be fair or would that be too much/little?
I think in terms of IRL prices that seems pretty fair to start out with. :)
I think in terms of IRL prices that seems pretty fair to start out with. :)
Oh okay, thanks again for your feedback!  It's very much appreciated! :hug:
No problem :) good luck with your commissions! :hug: