Recruiting Artists: Art Research Project

Hi all,

As a first year Cognitive Neuroscience graduate student at UCI (University of California, Irvine), I'm conducting my first research experiment.  I decided to take a very nonconventional route to study the arts and sciences collaboratively, and I would like to include the dA community.

I feel we can gain new insights by bringing art and visual sciences together.

So, my research study involves understanding our visual processes and our perception of visual art.  I need to build a database of at least 100 different art works to use in my experiment as visual stimuli to show to subjects participating in the study.  I've began the process of noting some individuals requesting permission to use a couple of their works in the study.

I'm opening this to the community to welcome anyone who would be interested in contributing to the database.  You'll still retain your copyrights and license; I'm just asking for permission to use the works.  Of course you have the right to decline.

There's no monetary gain from this; what we're gaining is a better insight into our visual processing and our perceptions when we're looking at visual art.  Yay, science!

I really would appreciate the help, and I really would love to include you guys in the project.

There is more nuance information about what I'm doing in my journal:  Recruiting Artists for Research ProjectHi all,
I've been semi-inactive for quite a while, and this is all because I've been working on getting into graduate school and starting my research studies that'll lead up to my doctorates.  
So, I started my Ph.D. program at the University of California, Irvine this Fall quarter in September, and now I'm working on my first project.  In particular I'm interested in bringing together the arts and sciences; quite unconventional but I feel there is much we can learn from this collaboration.  I want to study how certain elements in art can affect our visual processing in perception.  In order to start my experiment, I need a database of visual stimuli to work with, and that's where you guys can come in.
For the next couple of weeks, I will noting many of you to recruit your work(s) into a database to be used as stimuli in a research experiment involving visual processing and perception of visual art.  I've write each note individually and personalize it rather t

You can also learn more about my lab and what we generally study here: vpnl.ss.uci.edu
Or, you can google "UCI VPNL ss" to find the webpage

Hopefully, I'm posting this in the right place; I haven't been in the forums in a very, very long time o^o

EDIT: I'm looking for digital and traditional art alike, particularly complex with lots of elements (but really anything is fair game for the database).  I would like the art that has not utilized blur as one of it's element in the composition because that's a variable I'm trying separate.  You don't have to be a professional to be recruited into the database, student/moderate skill level fits perfectly fine as long as you feel you've gotten the basic skill set down (it doesn't hurt to give it a shot).

OH, and no photography, sorry :(
Someone did a research study on perception of photographs already -.-''
Comments32
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Welcome to use some of my work if it's good enough
It's definitely good enough! 

Thanks for responding; I'll send you a note with more details soon :hug:

Hello everyone!

I'm still recruiting artists for my research study; I've reached only 30% of my goal >w<
Feel free to take anything you want from my gallery, just tell me wich one you add, is great to help in such an interesting subject nw 
Thanks so much, I really appreciate it :D

I'll take a look and send you a note with more details :heart:
Not certain if my art is or may be what you're looking for, but I'll offer my art up, regardless. Best of luck with your study!
Thank so much :glomp:

I'll send you a note soon with more details :heart:
Sounds good, feel free to use My gallery if you'd like.
I hope the experiment goes well :)
Awesome!  Thanks so much :heart:

I will send you a note with more details and my contact info
I could do this. I'm going to go look at your journal.
I haven't switched completely to the tablet so I do all my art with the old fashioned pencil (regular HB) and sketch pad if you need any example of those. I don't use color and I don't do backgrounds as I don't like to take away from what I want people to see. If you would like to use any of my works and need a clearer image please let me know and give me a few days as I would have to find a scanner to upload them :D

Other than that good luck on your project!!
Thanks, so much

I do actually prefer it to have some sort of background, but it would be good to have in the study just to test out the hypothesis anyway

I'll note you with details and how I'll get the permission form to you
you're free to choose some artworks from my gallery if it could help you ^ ^ // 
Thank youuuuuu!

I'll note you with more information :D
alright ! ♥
Well if I can help, you're welcome to use my gallery. I would say my watercolours are probably the best in my gallery (The bright ones) :)
Awesome, I'll note you with the details and how I'll get the form to you :heart:

Thanks so much
Would a digital still life be useful? I don't mean the recent one in my gallery. I've got a more complex one with several objects of better quality, that I just have to make some last colour adjustments to. :-)
YES!  A digital still life would be wonderful!  I would greatly appreciate it :glomp:
I only have a couple of drawings up, but feel free to use anything in my gallery that will work. =]
Awesomesauce!

Thanks so much  :hug:

I'll note you with more details and my contact info
Ok, great! I am working on a new drawing right now, but it probably won't be up for a while. I just finished inking the pencil drawing, but coloring will take a while. =D Is there a problem with some of the drawings not being original? I like drawing other people's characters. (Mostly from anime =])
Awesome, I look forward to seeing it

I'm ok with fan art as well, as long as you are the one that drew it