Commission pricing help?

Hello! (and hello again to those who've seen me post here before) ;; just wondering if the prices I've set here are reasonable? They're not even at minimum wage levels with the amount of hours I input for each of them, but because I'm setting up shop here on dA, I'd like to see if these are reasonable. 

(as an FYI, this is not my main account - my main account can be found at gracefulsunshine.)

I'm selling two styles - 

monochrome busts for $10 / 800 points
Breathe by gracefulsunshine

and monochrome torsos for $20 / 1600 points
FR - Jayara by angst-lord
_____

and then full colour chibis for $10 / 800 points
PC - Lonan Tate by gracefulsunshine PC - forgetSanity by angst-lord
full colour busts for $15 / 1200 points
K - Let the Sparks Fly by gracefulsunshine
full colour torsos for $25 / 2000 points (?)
K - Alizarin Crimson by gracefulsunshine
full colour fullbodies for $35 / 2800 points
Soliloquial Solitude by gracefulsunshine  Perspicuity by gracefulsunshine

and palette busts for $10 / 800 points (special offer?)

CPC - Hatsune Miku l 59 by angst-lord  CPC - Megurine Luka l 61 by angst-lord

if there's any price adjustments i should make, please let me know! thank you for your time * U * 
Comments19
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
i don't think you'll sell many point commissions at those prices but maybe you'll get some money commissions. i think those prices are just a little bit too high. your art IS good, don't get me wrong, but it's kind of messy/unfinished looking in some places and there could be improvements in the anatomy. your chibis are your best thing in my opinion. and i think the price for the chibi is reasonable. though i would prefer to pay a bit less for that chibi! still, i have seen others sell chibis for that amount so not everyone is poor like i am lol

but the thing is, pricing is trial-and-error. you just have to try and see what works and what doesn't. starting a thread only helps so much, because many people might say "your prices are fine" and yet they themselves aren't actually offering to buy... the question is, who is going to actually buy? (i myself can't buy anything from anyone right now, because i'm broke eheheh)
i'm looking for more usd commishes at this rate, since college is horrible on my finances, but noted! u w u 

RE: anatomy - in what way do you think it's flawed? which of my artworks are you talking about? for future reference, please don't throw concrit at people like that because what you just said is as vague as it gets, and while i always appreciate concrit and am looking to improve, not specifying where and what isn't exactly considerate.

i will admit that my more painterly style is pretty rough right now, but i'd like to say that my palette busts are also for practice, and that point is clearly noted in my commissions journal that is stashed at the moment.    

i used to sell chibis at 5 bucks a pop (i think i had you on my waitlist for sometime in the summer, too, if i remember correctly) until it got to the point where i detest chibis, and i still do - if you divide the profit by the amount of time i spend on one, i don't even make it past $1 per hour if i sell them at $5 per.

even with all of the above said, thank you for your realistic perspective and for replying to this thread C: 
I think they're good the way they are. :D
the problem is if people would actually buy my art ;; but thank you for responding!
Advertise a lot in the projects forum and the job services and job offers forums and I think you'll get some bites. :D
will do, thank you! C: 
Totally reasonable, imo...
And oh my gosh, your art is so stunning !
I love your color palette and the way you mix the color, so beautiful 
eep thank you so much for your compliments and input! ;; i'm just hoping that people will like my art to the point where they'd want to get their hands on something ; u ; 
You will find one, surely :)
Just try to check out the job offer and services, and you might get someone to get a commission from you ...
Good luck! :)
I think it's a good idea if you have at least at minimum wage? Prices look alright to me, but I don't know how long it takes you so I can't really judge!
if i had minimum wage, prices would be through the roof ^^;; i think it's 8.25 where i live, but still - i can hope that one day i can make more than minimum wage on my art? :') perspicuity took me 50+ hours from start to final finish, and my palette busts average around 4 hours per palette. perhaps i should work on my speed too LOL

thank you for your input! * U * 
Ooooh, then yes, I'd definitely try to speed up a little bit! Try to figure out some shortcuts you can use (ex: select & paint bucket instead of manually doing flat colors, layer options, etc etc)
Since you have a painted style, see if you're not spending more time than needed on blending & not overblending? This was a big problem I had, but I think I'm doing a little better with that (My drawing time's cut down to ~ 1 1/2 hours for a fullbody)
It's your time being spent, so honestly, you should be getting the right amount of compensation for it! 
OH GOSH PAINT BUCKET the one thing i don't like about it via SAI is that it doesn't get some of the edges? other than that, i do find it useful if i use the select tool and go from there. 

dayummmm look at you go! the other major thing that might be hindering my speed is that i tend to be extremely perfectionist about my art - and while that's a good thing, it wreaks havoc on the amount of time it takes me to draw something. /orz i was working on a realism study of matt bomer's gorgeous, gorgeous face and it's been 7+ hours and i can't stop (won't stop) because my canvas version still bothers me :^(

noted! hopefully i'll actually get some traffic and i can slowly raise it from here too * U * 
YEAH THAT'S A LITTLE FRUSTRATING TO DEAL WITH.....have to go back & fill all the edges in after
Ah, and what's it called, clipping group? That's also really useful, but I wish I had some actual tips, not things you already know haha

HM
I kind of want to suggest you try messing around in PS for a bit? Since, like, you blend a different way in it? It's easier to draw in a rougher way (for me at least?) 
Time yourself with some things, "I'll draw this thing within 30 minutes" and if you don't finish it, that's fine, just leave it. Just do a series of really quick things every once in a while?

Just wondering, what part exactly takes you the longest?
it's a select and deselect tool on SAI - gyazo.com/598981aa31ac715a64cc… if you can see those? they work like you would with brushes, but instead of doing any brush related things, they leave behind a blue thing that later becomes part of the region that you're selecting (or reverse for deselecting) it takes a bit longer than a magic wand, but i get everything laid down with precise accuracy if i use those.

i installed a cracked version of photoshop on my computer recently so yeah i should try it out! it actually intimidates me though with all those brushes and options (although it isn't as bad as corel painter, per say) LOL one of the main reasons why i stick with SAI even though i hate certain aspects of it is because their water and marker tools are amaazziinngggg hghhshhshsh (and i'll probably trying doing that! i want to draw more especially since college is horrid and makes me spend all my time on homework ugh ) 

probably shading if we're talking start-to-finish sketch-shading? i probably spend too much time on certain aspects, but i've been getting better at limiting my time on some parts.

painting wise, eyes make me angry when realism is concerned JUST LEAVING THAT OUT THERE
Yeah! I know what those are, I usually magic wand first & then use that to refine selection

Oooo don't be!! It's like.....when you draw, a feeling like using a fancy version of drawr? LOL
Don't worry about all the fancy stuff, just draw for now! slap some color down!
Mmm I never really tried out water tool? Marker & Brush are the two I use whenever I draw in sai (Though recently I just have regular pen tool w/ min size @ 100%)

Ah, you probably already do this, but get some colors for shadows & highlights down for everything before you start on refining things? It feels messy but it's a whole lot faster?

hfjkgj I don't even touch realism (Though I should start practicing that)
View all replies