Any amateur male voice actors want to narrate a fantasy comedy?

I've looked into collabing with friends and family and I've checked out hiring from freelance sites ( project would cost $5000-$12000 ;;' ) and neither has panned out so far.

I've met some great people to help me edit the book, but now I'm hoping that I can find a collaborator to narrate it. It's a first person fantasy comedy about an unscrupulous  con man who sells fake potions for huge profits and the misadventures he gets into. It's also sort of a family story, since he has an adopted daughter ( who happens to be a giant, but he doesn't see that as a bad thing. )

I can draw and write,  for anyone who wants to barter. There's 13 chapters available now. The two people who are generously editing it finish a chapter every 1-2 weeks. If you'd join like the narrate the book, I'd like to receive 2 chapters recorded a month minimum. Whether you finish both in one sitting or do them in little bits across the month is up to you.  I'm available for voice and video chat between 2pm and 1am EST to answer questions, talk out the character, or just chat.  

Here's the first page of the novel if you'd like to give it a test drive. It's a large book, around 25 chapters with 3000 to 5000 words a chapter. You are invited edit for ease of narration and flow if you decide to work with me. 

“You sold me a phony potion, Azark.” The accusation drew me out of my drink, which I had been waiting to get to all day. My hands hesitated around the wooden mug, its surface smoothed by the hundreds of tavern patrons that had drank from it before me. I lowered the mug to the table, the amber liquid’s piney scent fading.

I turned to the man, the rest of the tavern oblivious to the confrontation that had just ignited. I was silent as I studied his face. There were so many customers over the last several months, it was hard to keep everyone straight. I usually learned all of their names the first few days into being in the town, and mentally dumped them on the way out to make room for the next batch. After all, I can’t appeal to each potential customer’s weak spot without knowing a bit of their life story.

Behind me, card games were happening, and someone with a bad temper was losing based on the indistinguishable mumbling that I kept hearing. A bit further off, the high pitched nature of women's voices cutting through the general murmuring din caught my attention. With them was a gurgling babe, its erratic coos and giggles a stark contrast to its mother’s worried whispered moans. The mother and her friend  were discussing a series of red welts on the baby’s hand. The mother was worried, and I had to fight a smile as her friend began to talk about me. The mother cut the friend off, insisting she hadn’t even a fraction of a coin to spend on magical remedies.

Comments23
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
ATTN: If you want to apply, do it by Thursday by sending me a sample reading of what's in the OP by Thursday evening0.  I'm probably closing the thread on Friday.  I'm glad so many talented people applied already ^^ 
Hey hey, I'm a British Voice actor (dat fantasy voice)

HAVE A SOUNDCLOUD LINK 
soundcloud.com/fancy-fingers

Please get back to me if you'd be interested in working with me. :)
Are most of those soundcloud clips you? They're great, you have an awesome gravelly voice and quite a bit of range.  I'm going to send you a note, with links to the first page and some of the other characters. Would you mind doing a short reading from those materials so you can see if you like the book and how you fit with the main character? Nothing too polished, just a run through so you can get a feel for the content and see if it's for you.  ( And being British is always a plus in my mind! I'm always happy when I discover a book I downloaded on audible has a british narrator. :) )  
Most? All of them >< thanks for the praise! 

Yeah, there's something brilliant about having say "A Song of Ice and Fire" being read by Roy Dotrice, gives everything a fantasy feel to it.

I'll send you something back soon then :)
Do you think you can get your sample to me by Thursday? It doesn't have to be polished or very long.  I'm hoping to make a decision soon ( plus I'm just really eager to hear your take ^^ ) 
Your take is amazing. You do a good job with enunciation and emotion, and your voice definitely has presence. My only concern is how fast your reading is. Did you accidentally upload a 1.5x speed version or is that how fast you generally read? Anyways, your reading is amazing, just get back to me on the pace thing if you can. ^^ 
sorry sorry >< it was the middle of the night, I probably ended up speeding ahead with each without realising it, I'll send you a slower version tonight :)
View all replies
Haha, I thought they were all you, but some of them sounded so spot on! :) And Yay! 
I'm very interested. I'm a musician so I have equipment to record. If you send me a paragraph or two, I can record a sample for you.
Sure thing~ I'll send a note right on over. :) And cool, what sort of music do you play?
I used to be in a bunch of rock bands, playing anything from grungy punk rock to metal.  Now I just sort of do bluesy folk rock.

Thanks for the note.  I'm gonna read through this snippet a few times to get a good feel for it and then I'll record it.  I'll send you a link soon.
Haha, cool. It's good to experiment. Look forward to it. :) 
I guess I can ouo
Do you have a link to you recording anything? :)
My youtube channel's videos would suffice xD
www.youtube.com/user/residente…
If you're looking for someone besides me, I can ask around.  Good luck.  :3
Were you interested in narrating? Feel free to do a read from page 1 if you are, or if you find anyone who is. I think you still have access to it?
Would like to try!  I don't have the links anymore, though.
I might be interested - drop me an email, james[at]wavcott[dot]org[dot]uk :)
Sent, but you already knew that haha.