Interactive Story (Game)

Hello!

I decided to begin getting together a small team to work on an interactive story. Currently there is myself and 2 artists.

The project has no current setting/plot at the moment as we want the team to collectively decide on each aspect!

The way the collaboration will work is no one particular person will have full control. It requires work from each person and therefore each person should have their say. The project as a whole (Such as the story we do or the art style we use) will be governed by all involved and then each can do their respected jobs (Such as art, code, writing..)

While main development of the story is going on though small games can be made to promote up to it.
Such as, as the characters are being made, each can be made as a base and have different sets of clothes. Then make a character mash up for a dress up game that will help promote the final product, y'know.. Start building up a community the whole time we're developing.

What we need:

Writer(s)
Story is the main asset to this game. Though I am able to write, I would much rather give some creative control to someone who's more passionate and experienced at writing!

Artists
The more people we have, the easier the load will be. Character design, wardrobe, scenes, user interface.. All areas will need to be covered!

Voice Actors
The game will be an interesting one for sure will a collaboration effort, however voice will bring the game to life! Players will have the option to have sounds on, or off. Most people will likely keep them on for the experience of the voices.
With just a few actors we will likely only cover parts of the game with voice (such as key plot stages or introductions). However if we have a number of actors we can hopefully cover the entire game!

We will try to cover all areas that we can, allowing for as many people as possible to become a part of this project.

Depending on the finished product we can make this go one of three ways:
First: the game is released to the general public to play for free

Second: We add Ad support and create a small revenue to split between those who worked on it. We also release a "Pay What You Like" Ad-Free version

Third: We create a demo, ad-free for the public. The full game can be submitted for steam greenlight or we try to sell on our own domain. Again all profits split within the team.

The Releasing options will not be decided until the product is finished!

If you're interested, please reply here, PM or email kamata@pixel-virtuosa.com

Comments13
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I'd like to help with concept art if thats ok.
I'll be glad to get involved! What is the visual novel about?

If its to my liking, I can contribute art/UI design and voice acting.
Hey! Thank you for your interest! ^^
As with the response prior to yours, we're crossing into concept art now. And the updated version of this post is on our group page. roleplay-dream-world.deviantar…

I'll send you a note also that was sent out to the team earlier today to get you up to date with it all :)
This is so cool. I was so addicted to the Ascension visual novels and I've been looking for more. I've never done it before and I can be shy sometimes, but I'd LOVE to help out with the voice acting. Just keep in mind I work nights which leaves me lazy during the day and I have 2 kids. If you're interested in me helping, lemme know, I'm super excited about this. :D
Hey! Great to know you're interested!
Right now we're waiting on getting concept art done before we move on with the story, after that comes dialogue so that's the point that would allow for voice acting. (Hopefully it won't take too long but we're short on artist time due to their own RL).

The above post is slightly old now but there's an updated version on our group page, here: roleplay-dream-world.deviantar…

If you join the group I can also set you as a contributer.
I'm going to grab the note I sent to the team and send it on to you, which also includes further details and contacts that may prove useful. ^^
**Update**
We are looking for someone to help design the UI. Including menu objects/buttons text area, boarders/frames etc.

Please let me know if you're interested.
(All other positions still open, however you'll be collaborating with people who have already joined each group).
I'd love to help with character design!! :) don't want to be paid though 
TreasureMan  Thank you for your reply. I will talk with our current artists and see if they could use your work :)

Desulishor I have taken a look at your link and the games look lovely with some well structured writing.
In terms of the game genre, the majority of the details will be decided by the team as a collective so we're all happy with what we want the end product to be like. Genre aside, the style of the game I personally would like it somewhat like this: upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia… - Character/item in the foreground and the scene in the background. The interactive side could be player choices, deciding what path to take or what to do in a certain situation morally. Or it could be that they're left with a scene and they have to work out how to progress to the next area of the story etc..

It's actually a writer I'm more concerned about getting at this point as artists can draw around a story, it's harder to make a story based around art.
If you're interested, and would be available to take on a long term project then perhaps we could chat about ideas for the story. - Skype is always best for me since I have it open 24/7 and see messages right away. If you have skype you could send me a note, otherwise we can find an alternative way to communicate.
Hmm, what you're suggesting sounds like a hybrid between visual novels and possibly the point-and-click-adventure genres. Coding-wise, i know that the Ren'py engine which I've been using could do both branching player choices and click-able items (i.e. image maps). However the story-based genre of a visual novel could still be pretty much anything.
I do have skype too, so I'll send you a note, at least.
Hmm, I'm a writer (and a videogame enthusiast at that), having finished two visual novel projects prior to this... (for anything I've finished, check www.indiedb.com/members/desuli… ) and I also have some minor experience with RPG projects.
I can say your concept sounds interesting on paper but you haven't mentioned anything as to what kind of a game this would end up being. Leaving room for the writers is good and all, but you've got to at least have a plan as to what you're striving for. So far, I only know there's some kind of interactive story, but the genre could be anything from Dating Sims to Survival Horror... from Visual Novels to JRPGs or even First-Person Shooting... That kind of haphazardness leaves a bit of a bad taste.

But grunting aside, I would volunteer if you feel that I might be able to help at all.
I've made characters for games before, you can check out my gallery 
treasureman.deviantart.com/gal…