Help me get this game going and bring Aspergers awareness!

Hi! I'm posting this because I need you guys to help me. I'm a 17 year old girl with Aspergers and needless to say it hasn't made my life the easiest, but with the help of a friend I'm doing much better. I want to share my experiences and bring awareness because of this.

To do this I am creating a game. The game will follow a boy/girl with Aspergers through their childhood and it will be the player's job to make the right choices to keep them going through life. I'll be putting my own experiences and interpretations of life into it. However, I don't want just my experiences in this game. I want to hear stories from others with Aspergers. Stories about your experiences. If possible, I'll see if I can put these stories into the game. If you want to help me then you can write your stories in the google docs link below. There will also be more information there on the specifics of the game itself. Thanks for reading! 

Comments9
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Ah, man, I also wish you luck in this project!

I actually have a brother who we found out just about 2 years ago has Aspergers. He's had a lot of social anxiety growing up and became reclusive because of it, and we never knew why. Some things I remember him doing a lot would be running away to avoid getting on the bus/going to school/going to church, becoming a video/computer game addict because he was afraid of going out, he would get discouraged and give up on hobbies he loves if someone in our family took up that same hobby, etc.... Even today, he's deathly afraid of driving, and getting a job even though he really wants a job, etc.

I can tell that it's been really hard for him. He made some progress though, until his closest friend left on a mission and he had a horrible break-up with his long-distance (ex-)girlfriend. Now he's back to being almost reclusive again )=

So I really feel this game idea of yours is a wonderful project to work towards! I hope everything works out!
:/ That sounds like me minus the girlfriend bit. I can tell you those things you just mentioned are totally normal issues when dealing with Aspegers. The school part was the most difficult for me until recently. I love learning but I hated going to school. I switched to a charter school two years ago. Its for college prep and art. It helped a lot because I was around more people similar to me. One friend in particular made a huge difference. Maybe you could try finding a group or something for him to get into. Something not too time consuming but that shares his interests. Little things help. Oh, and being reclusive like that is normal as well, although it isn't good. I tend to be most reclusive when I feel I fit in the least. So if I don't feel comfortable around someone or feel unwanted (have no friends to stand by) I'll break away from the group and go hide. I try not to but it happens anyways. The best way to explain it is that its easier to explain the feeling of loneliness to myself when I'm actually alone and it isn't as painful as when I'm surrounded by people. I don't know if its the same for your brother but it might be something to think about.

I hope the game works out as well. :D
Yeah? I'm not sure if the reasons are the same as my brother, but I wouldn't doubt that they're similar reasons. He usually feels at ease when he's with someone he likes to hang out with. I'm hoping we'll be able to find ways to help him make life easier to deal with, but we'll have to see. :') I just know that he's been through a lot of unnecessary troubles because we didn't know he had Aspergers, let alone know how to handle it. It probably would have been simpler for everyone if we knew about it in the first place. However, my sister, for some reason or another, is able to handle his behavior fairly well, for the most part. XD You can tell that she's affected and supported him in little ways, even if it looks like she's teasing him. But they're only about a year apart, so maybe the fact they're so close in age helps. Either way, he may have troubles and be rough around the edges because of it, but he does have a heart of gold once you get past all that.
Yeah. I didn't find out until just three or four years ago that I had Aspergers either so I can understand that. I'm very blunt and have lots of mood swings. XD My brother and I understand each other a lot better than me and the rest of my family though too. *shrugs* Maybe its just we think more similarly or something so we get along better. :)
Lol, I see. Well, it always helps when there are people that can understand and get along with you despite your hardships! Especially when it's a family member, I think that's when it counts the most.
I wish you luck in this project!!

My boyfriend of almost 3 years now has Asperger's, so I can at least appreciate how difficult it can be at times.  I've seen his frustration when he doesn't "get" something and how it can cause problems with the people in his life.  He's job searching right now, and I can see how it's just making things 1000x harder for him.

It frustrates me that even though I know all this, I'm not always as patient and understanding as I should be sometimes. :(
Yikes! Job searching. I've never had a job specifically because of Aspergers. I'm way to nervous around people to be able to do anything that requires social skills. Lol! That's why I'm aiming for a computer related job. I can imagine you are a great support for him though. I know it can be frustrating as me and my family are always struggling to communicate properly, among other things, but I don't know what I'd do without them. As long as you are there for him that's what matters. :D Best wishes to the both of you.
He's actually doing rather well in the job search --two interviews lined up so far.  I'm really proud of him, because I know this sort of thing isn't easy; that it'd be much easier just to stay home instead.  He often says that he finds the strength to do these things through me, but I don't think he gives himself enough credit.  I try to do what I can, though, but I find that he really is capable of (and has been) doing things on his own.

And you'll get there someday!  It's good to push yourself and aim high, but not so far that you wind up miserable for it.  As long as you're happy, that's what matters.  It's good that you have your family behind you, even if there are communication troubles sometimes.  Those things will probably always crop up, but as long as you still love and support each other, that's what matters.