Seeking Character Artist/Partner for Gatemaster! [Game]

Gatemaster! is a fantasy visual novel/adventure game hybrid currently in the conceptual stage of development. To clarify, while all or most of the major characters and plot points have already been planned out, there's still quite a bit of world-building to be done, some game mechanics and a few designs to be clarified, built upon, or otherwise refined. That is where YOU come in!

Before I go any further, here's an overview of Gatemaster!'s plot:

What if I were to tell you that Earth as we know it is only one of infinite planes of existence? And what if you had the power to access these alternate planes?

You, Poe Belvedere, are an exceptional -- if somewhat arrogant -- student. In fact, there doesn't seem to be any endeavor you don't excel at. Everything you've attempted has always come to you so easily, in fact, that by this point in your life it has almost become boring. What you didn't know, however, is that you are also a Gatemaster. Gatemasters are powerful beings that can travel through worlds and are oftentimes tasked with guarding these interdimensional gates from those who would abuse them. With your discovery of a portal that leads to the magical world of A'raenia Primary, your own world has suddenly and quite literally opened up to you.

But being a Gatemaster is not all fun and games, and though you are not yet aware of it your irresponsibility puts all of the planes at risk. How will you handle your role as Gatemaster when the very Earth seems to be crumbling apart around you? Will you be the realms' savior, or will you inadvertently bring about their destruction?

In my opinion, there are two major factors that set Gatemaster! apart from most visual novels.

1: Interactivity
While it is not unheard of for visual novels to contain mini games or RPG elements, etc., for a standard visual novel the only interactivity comes in the form of decisions that must be made at certain points that effect the direction and outcome of the story. While Gatemaster! does certainly contain this genre-defining attribute -- and to a wide extent, considering the variety of worlds the main character is able to access -- it is also puzzle driven, in addition to containing a skill point raising system that'll both aid the player in their adventure and open up more story possibilities. The game will also make use of an interactive map and inventory system.

2: Realism
Oftentimes, visual novels allow for the possibility of forming relationships with a range of different characters and Gatemaster! is no exception. What is different, however, is the way in which these relationships are formed. There are generally two possible ways this is accomplished: by choosing the correct options in a standard visual novel, and by raising the proper attributes/giving gifts/going on dates in what's known as a dating sim. Gatemaster! takes this a step further by having different requirements depending on who you're going after. For example, one character requires the player to keep an eye on the in-game calendar, making certain not to miss special events in that character's life. Of course, it won't be so complicated that the player won't be able to figure out what to do for who, but it will require a bit more work and attention to detail than merely giving the girl a bouquet of flowers or answering a question the way she'd like you to.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As my partner, I would like for the character artist to work closely with me -- the writer/programmer -- throughout the development of Gatemaster!, providing feedback, suggestions, ideas of their own, etc.

And, as the character artist, here're the tasks my partner can expect:

:bulletred: Concept sketches
:bulletblack: Sprite lineart
:bulletred: Character lineart for event CGs

Coloring and backgrounds will be handled by separate artists!

To be absolutely upfront, when we have enough conceptual work completed for an outside observer to be reasonably confident that the project will be seen through to completion, I intend to submit it to Kickstarter. I have seen successfully funded visual novels there, and I truly do believe that Gatemaster! could find success there as well. However, that does mean that I do not presently have any funding that I'd be able to offer upfront.

If anyone has any questions at all, or would like for me to expand upon or clarify anything presented thus far, please do not hesitate to either reply here or send me a note. I can also be contacted via email: sakibou000@gmail.com
Comments15
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I'm certainly interested if you manage to get the kickstarter off the ground. If you check out my gallery and like what you see, feel free to get back to me on it. :) I wish you the best of luck with this game!
I shall note you. ^^