Mental Disorders and art: Take a Short Survey (you can answer in comments!)

Comment hidden
Comments47
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
1. Have you been professionally diagnosed with a mental disorder?: yep
2. If so, what disorder?: ADHD and Auditory Processing delay
3. Are you currently being treated? (Therapy, medication, etc.): No. I stop doing Ritalin years ago, and auditory is just something i live with. Its just people have to repeat it a second time for me to hear. The Doctor had me tested before college for ADHD to see how well i was doing without ritlan, and he says I don't need my meds. I have the intellegence of a college student.
4. How would you describe your art?: Fine. I don't think it effects me, other then I can't do art for too long periods, but I have to take breaks.
5. Do you feel your art would be different without your disorder?: I think so. I could be more patient with my art, and take more of my time even though I do it already.
1. Have you been professionally diagnosed with a mental disorder?: Yep
2. If so, what disorder?: ADD and Bipolar Disorder
3. Are you currently being treated? (Therapy, medication, etc.): I used to years ago but lol that is expensive without insurance so noep
4. How would you describe your art?: Uhh... man I don't even know. Depends on what I'm drawing. Bold and cartoony I guess?
5. Do you feel your art would be different without your disorder?: Nah, I don't think so
1. Have you been professionally diagnosed with a mental disorder?: Yep.
2. If so, what disorder?: Aspergers (Autism Spectrum)
3. Are you currently being treated? (Therapy, medication, etc.): Treated???? Is that possible???
4. How would you describe your art?: UM???? It depends on how I feel I guess. Not everything's the same.
5. Do you feel your art would be different without your disorder?: I don't know. Maybe?
1. No
4. Oh, you know. Normal-guy type art.
1. Have you been professionally diagnosed with a mental disorder?: yes
2. If so, what disorder?:Depression
3. Are you currently being treated? (Therapy, medication, etc.): no
4. How would you describe your art?: Dark, gloomy, forboding
5. Do you feel your art would be different without your disorder?: looking like some MLP shit on crack
1. Have you been professionally diagnosed with a mental disorder?: Yes
2. If so, what disorder?: Moderate depression and anxiety
3. Are you currently being treated? (Therapy, medication, etc.): I am being treated with medication.
4. How would you describe your art?: Emotional poetry, digital furry, monster, and human art, basically whatever crosses my mind as something I should do...
5. Do you feel your art would be different without your disorder?: I don't know, probably. My disorder helps crank out a ton of poetry, and I'm not able to write nearly as well when I'm in a good mood... I'm not entirely sure, to tell you the truth.
1. Have you been professionally diagnosed with a mental disorder?: Yep.
2. If so, what disorder?: Depression and anxiety.
3. Are you currently being treated? (Therapy, medication, etc.): Yep, both therapy and medicine.
4. How would you describe your art?: Mostly from a realistic view, cartoons, fan art, etc.
5. Do you feel your art would be different without your disorder?: Probably... so, yes.
1. Have you been professionally diagnosed with a mental disorder?: Yes.
2. If so, what disorder?: Anxiety, Depression.
3. Are you currently being treated? (Therapy, medication, etc.): I was medicated, but i'm off the meds now, i can't find anything that works, and ive actually been doing okay without it.
4. How would you describe your art?: ive been told that my style is a lot like the main artist that worked on Yellow Submarine, i forget his name. one of the best compliments ive ever gotten actually. but as far as how I would describe it, average, i guess.
5. Do you feel your art would be different without your disorder?: I dont think so, but the way i work on it and view it definitely would be. right now, i tend to dismiss what i do as just a way to pass the time, its kind of hard to be passionate about it when ive got so many doubts holding me back. i think that if my mind were clear, i'd be able to push past those thoughts of "this is nothing special" and actually take some pride in my work. but as far as the art itself, that probably wouldnt change.

i tend to ramble a little, but i hope this was helpful.
1. Have you been professionally diagnosed with a mental disorder?:
-Yes

2. If so, what disorder?:
-Depression, and Anxiety

3. Are you currently being treated? (Therapy, medication, etc.):
-Therapy and Medication (prozac)

4. How would you describe your art?:
-I do a variety of things, but I guess, dark, hectic, scribbly, personal.

5. Do you feel your art would be different without your disorder?:
-Probably, I mostly draw how I feel, or how I think, based of of my experiences, so since most of the time I think rather negatively, things just come out like that.
1. Have you been professionally diagnosed with a mental disorder?: yes
2. If so, what disorder?: Depression and Anxiety
3. Are you currently being treated? (Therapy, medication, etc.): yes, taking medication and therapy. Sometimes neither seem to work, but it's difficult to tell personally
4. How would you describe your art?: cartoony/anime, nothing really special, sometimes too depressing, mostly mine and other people's characters.
5. Do you feel your art would be different without your disorder?: Somewhat. I sometimes feel I draw better when I'm incredibly upset, which my depression makes worse. I don't enjoy it though. My disorder keeps me from having the will and confidence to get better and improve my art.
1. Have you been professionally diagnosed with a mental disorder?: no, not diagnosed (at least not recently) but I do suffer from depression and anxiety.

2. If so, what disorder?: Depression/anxiety
3. Are you currently being treated? (Therapy, medication, etc.): No, medication makes me nervous and has never really helped. Therapy used to be a good temporary fix but I have yet to find a therapist I like.
4. How would you describe your art?: Something I can't live without, but it's affected by my depression (I go through long periods of art block when I'm depressed and tend to regress in skill when it happens)
5. Do you feel your art would be different without your disorder?: I think I'd have more focus and intent.
I find your post very interesting... and am responding on behalf of my sister, who has a mental disorder. I do not.

Yes

Autism, depression, and possibly schizophrenia. I am still being tested for the latter.

Yes. Medication, naturopathic medicines, and constantly undergoing treatment re-evaluation and modification.

Cartoon. Animal art.

No. My disorder is what enabled me to draw, even though I did so obsessively, sometimes for 10 hours without a break.
1. Have you been professionally diagnosed with a mental disorder?: Nope
2. If so, what disorder?: Nope
3. Are you currently being treated? (Therapy, medication, etc.): Nope
4. How would you describe your art?: Very bright and happy.
5. Do you feel your art would be different without your disorder?: Probably.

My brother has autism so he prefers only pencil and charcoal to draw with.
2. If so, what disorder?: Aspergers Syndrome
3. Are you currently being treated? (Therapy, medication, etc.): Yes
4. How would you describe your art?: Interesting, diverse, different

5. Do you feel your art would be different without your disorder?: My art would not be original or fun, if there was no illness. I use art as a media to express myself and my feelings.
1. Have you been professionally diagnosed with a mental disorder?: Yes.
2. If so, what disorder?: Anxiety and ADD.
3. Are you currently being treated? (Therapy, medication, etc.): No.
4. How would you describe your art?: Half-assed digital fanart.
5. Do you feel your art would be different without your disorder?: Yeah, I think I would probably be able to actually finish a drawing for once if it weren't for the ADD.
1. Have you been professionally diagnosed with a mental disorder? yes
2. If so, what disorder? severe anxiety, depression, ADHD, possible aspergers syndrome
3. Are you currently being treated? I was (then all my therapists left :X)
4. How would you describe your art? cartoony, expresses what ever mood I'm in
5. Do you feel your art would be different without your disorder? probaly, I draw all sorts of things depending on my mood, and I'm starting to notice all my characters I come up with have an array of mental issues (explosive rage, severe paranoia, depression, or are just generally unhappy :stare:)
2. If so, what disorder?: Schizophrenia and Major Depression
3. Are you currently being treated? (Therapy, medication, etc.): Yes, I take two pills a day, Abilify and Zoloft
4. How would you describe your art?: For me, art was a way of putting my fantasy world on something more permanent. My fantasy world was my way to escape the darkness of depression and the harshness of the outer world, and drawing it was a way to make it more "real", in a way.
5. Do you feel your art would be different without your disorder?: I'm quite sensitive, so I think I'd still have my fantasy world and art without my disorders. I may not retreat to it as much as I have if I didn't have them though.
Abilify is great. How did it affect you? Just curious. The only side effect I got from it was akathesia (restlessness), which I take benztropine for.
I had horrible heartburn for the first week, that's about it. :lmao: Mentally, it's made the voices from my schizophrenia practically disappear. When I first wake up, I still sometimes have visions, but that's it. After I take it, I'm fine.
Yes.

Schizoaffective Disorder, Major Depression, ADHD, C-PTSD

Yes. Both psychotherapy and medications.

I love showing the beauty in the world through my pictures. I would describe my photography as showing the best of people, plants and animals. I would describe my drawings as somewhat abstract.

Yes.
1. Have you been professionally diagnosed with a mental disorder?: Kiiiinda
2. If so, what disorder?: The one where you have a vitamin D level of 4 (should be 50) And halfly diagnosed with dyslexia.
3. Are you currently being treated? (Therapy, medication, etc.): Just popping D pills.
4. How would you describe your art?: eh. I know I can do better, but I've lost the will to art much.
5. Do you feel your art would be different without your disorder?: I'd prolly wouldn't have stopped doing art and cared more. Instead I lake the enthusiasm I used to have.
1. Have you been professionally diagnosed with a mental disorder?: - Yes

2. If so, what disorder?: Anxiety and Insomnia

3. Are you currently being treated? (Therapy, medication, etc.): Yes. Medication.

4. How would you describe your art?: Digital, cartoons, pin ups, occasional fan art.

5. Do you feel your art would be different without your disorder?: - it would probably be a lot more structured and focused because I wouldn't be so anxious about screwing up and I wouldn't be so shaky from not sleeping properly.
2. If so, what disorder?: Depression, General Anxiety Disorder, PTSD, and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
3. Are you currently being treated? (Therapy, medication, etc.): Yes
4. How would you describe your art?: My art is very emotional and scattered everywhere.
5. Do you feel your art would be different without your disorder?: I would probably be taking more risks with my art because I wouldn't be so anxious of people not liking it or worried people might think of me differently. I also have periods where my writing is very depressing and dark.
Yes.

General anxiety disorder and clinical depression.

I take medication and have been put into a day treatment program. I also see a therapist and psychiatrist regularly.

Primarily cartoony. Sometimes I like to draw semi-/realistic as well. Pastoral and humorish.

Maybe a little, but not too much. I definitely don't think it would have that air of sad longing/childlike innocence that tints my writing and artwork.