Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 7, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 48

Mental Disorders and art: Take a Short Survey (you can answer in comments!)

:iconthe-greys:
The-Greys Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Just doing some science for fun. Some believe there's a correlation between mental illness and artists (Picasso, Van Gogh, etc.) and I'm curious. Even if you do not have a disorder you're welcome to participate! In fact, please do!

1. Have you been professionally diagnosed with a mental disorder?:
2. If so, what disorder?:
3. Are you currently being treated? (Therapy, medication, etc.):
4. How would you describe your art?:
5. Do you feel your art would be different without your disorder?:

(If you do not have a disorder, please only answer questions 1 and 4.)

SURVEY EXAMPLE:

1. Have you been professionally diagnosed with a mental disorder?: Yes
2. If so, what disorder?: Anxiety and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
3. Are you currently being treated? (Therapy, medication, etc.): Yes, therapy
4. How would you describe your art?: Digital fantasy drawings, fantasy creatures, cartoons, some fan art.
5. Do you feel your art would be different without your disorder?: After treatment, it became easier to "branch out" and draw things out of my comfort zone.

(When referring to your disorder, please do not use acronyms. Example: "PTSD". Please write "Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder". Thanks!)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Student General Artist
1. Have you been professionally diagnosed with a mental disorder?: yep
2. If so, what disorder?: ADHD and Auditory Processing delay
3. Are you currently being treated? (Therapy, medication, etc.): No. I stop doing Ritalin years ago, and auditory is just something i live with. Its just people have to repeat it a second time for me to hear. The Doctor had me tested before college for ADHD to see how well i was doing without ritlan, and he says I don't need my meds. I have the intellegence of a college student.
4. How would you describe your art?: Fine. I don't think it effects me, other then I can't do art for too long periods, but I have to take breaks.
5. Do you feel your art would be different without your disorder?: I think so. I could be more patient with my art, and take more of my time even though I do it already.
:iconnoenvy:
noenvy Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
1. Have you been professionally diagnosed with a mental disorder?: Yep
2. If so, what disorder?: ADD and Bipolar Disorder
3. Are you currently being treated? (Therapy, medication, etc.): I used to years ago but lol that is expensive without insurance so noep
4. How would you describe your art?: Uhh... man I don't even know. Depends on what I'm drawing. Bold and cartoony I guess?
5. Do you feel your art would be different without your disorder?: Nah, I don't think so
:iconkibadarkfire7:
KibaDarkFire7 Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
1. Have you been professionally diagnosed with a mental disorder?: Yep.
2. If so, what disorder?: Aspergers (Autism Spectrum)
3. Are you currently being treated? (Therapy, medication, etc.): Treated???? Is that possible???
4. How would you describe your art?: UM???? It depends on how I feel I guess. Not everything's the same.
5. Do you feel your art would be different without your disorder?: I don't know. Maybe?
:iconeggheadcheesybird:
EggHeadCheesyBird Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013   Digital Artist
1. No
4. Oh, you know. Normal-guy type art.
:iconjade-abarai-kat:
Jade-Abarai-Kat Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
1. Have you been professionally diagnosed with a mental disorder?: yes
2. If so, what disorder?:Depression
3. Are you currently being treated? (Therapy, medication, etc.): no
4. How would you describe your art?: Dark, gloomy, forboding
5. Do you feel your art would be different without your disorder?: looking like some MLP shit on crack
:iconxxchibistarrxx:
xXChibiStarrXx Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Student Writer
1. Have you been professionally diagnosed with a mental disorder?: Yes
2. If so, what disorder?: Moderate depression and anxiety
3. Are you currently being treated? (Therapy, medication, etc.): I am being treated with medication.
4. How would you describe your art?: Emotional poetry, digital furry, monster, and human art, basically whatever crosses my mind as something I should do...
5. Do you feel your art would be different without your disorder?: I don't know, probably. My disorder helps crank out a ton of poetry, and I'm not able to write nearly as well when I'm in a good mood... I'm not entirely sure, to tell you the truth.
:iconyouradopted:
YourAdopted Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013
1. Have you been professionally diagnosed with a mental disorder?: Yep.
2. If so, what disorder?: Depression and anxiety.
3. Are you currently being treated? (Therapy, medication, etc.): Yep, both therapy and medicine.
4. How would you describe your art?: Mostly from a realistic view, cartoons, fan art, etc.
5. Do you feel your art would be different without your disorder?: Probably... so, yes.
:iconmiblover334:
miblover334 Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
1. Have you been professionally diagnosed with a mental disorder?: Yes.
2. If so, what disorder?: Anxiety, Depression.
3. Are you currently being treated? (Therapy, medication, etc.): I was medicated, but i'm off the meds now, i can't find anything that works, and ive actually been doing okay without it.
4. How would you describe your art?: ive been told that my style is a lot like the main artist that worked on Yellow Submarine, i forget his name. one of the best compliments ive ever gotten actually. but as far as how I would describe it, average, i guess.
5. Do you feel your art would be different without your disorder?: I dont think so, but the way i work on it and view it definitely would be. right now, i tend to dismiss what i do as just a way to pass the time, its kind of hard to be passionate about it when ive got so many doubts holding me back. i think that if my mind were clear, i'd be able to push past those thoughts of "this is nothing special" and actually take some pride in my work. but as far as the art itself, that probably wouldnt change.

i tend to ramble a little, but i hope this was helpful.
:iconspectrum-of-light:
Spectrum-Of-Light Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
1. Have you been professionally diagnosed with a mental disorder?:
-Yes

2. If so, what disorder?:
-Depression, and Anxiety

3. Are you currently being treated? (Therapy, medication, etc.):
-Therapy and Medication (prozac)

4. How would you describe your art?:
-I do a variety of things, but I guess, dark, hectic, scribbly, personal.

5. Do you feel your art would be different without your disorder?:
-Probably, I mostly draw how I feel, or how I think, based of of my experiences, so since most of the time I think rather negatively, things just come out like that.
:iconjemaru:
Jemaru Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Student General Artist
1. Have you been professionally diagnosed with a mental disorder?: yes
2. If so, what disorder?: Depression and Anxiety
3. Are you currently being treated? (Therapy, medication, etc.): yes, taking medication and therapy. Sometimes neither seem to work, but it's difficult to tell personally
4. How would you describe your art?: cartoony/anime, nothing really special, sometimes too depressing, mostly mine and other people's characters.
5. Do you feel your art would be different without your disorder?: Somewhat. I sometimes feel I draw better when I'm incredibly upset, which my depression makes worse. I don't enjoy it though. My disorder keeps me from having the will and confidence to get better and improve my art.
Add a Comment: