Closed to new replies
November 9, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 22

Starting A Web Comic *i know lame right*

:iconauffallend:
Auffallend Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
So I am seriously thinking of starting a fantasy based web comic in order to put in some serious practice with my artistic skills, BUT there are a few things I need first...

:bulletblue: Firstly, I need to know of any web comic sites out there. I know only a small few and I would like to get a good list to chose from, that you, the public, are fond of and visit often.

:bulletgreen: Next I need a very reliable team, I can do it all myself but I would like my 1st comic to be composed of 2-3 people (counting myself).
Backgrounds are NOT my forte so I would love to have someone who is fluent in buildings and scenery.
I would also like someone who is versed in a variety of things like lining, coloring, sketching ect. so we can evenly decide who does what in the comic.

I have Manga Studios and Photoshop so programs aren't a problem, I can piece together everything if needed.

:star: I also need> the team to be in the same skill-set and similar style as myself. Mixing Adventure Time characters with Halo quality coloring on a Tim Burton background doesn't exactly work well...

If you are interested please post here with some examples of the required specs. (IE post a pic of what spot you want to fill on the team)

If you need to see some examples of my work and style, here:

If you want to see more please look in my gallery.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconslave2karma:
Making a web comic is a splendid idea!!!! But instead of assembling a team, why not just make it yourself? I understand how you can feel a little uncertain about areas you're not particularly comfortable with such as backgrounds, but one of the BEST ways to improve and level up in that field is to just hop right in and do it. An extraordinary Canadian comic creator named Faith Erin Hicks got into the game by just jumping in and drawing a web comic--and it wasn't pretty at first, but her art and skills became better over time, and now she makes her living off of it. :D

As for web comic hosting websites, the web comics I read are hosted on their own websites. I find a lot comics through ads hosted on the side through Project Wonderful, that would be something to look into. ^_^
Auffallend Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
well i would but it would be my 1st web comic and i would like to have a team to start. If i need to i can do it all on my own, but with my schedule, doing everything on my onesy would take longer to release a new page than i would like.
I am aiming for a page a week, it is the length i see most of the web comics push out per page and they only have 1 or 2 ppl total doing the comics so 3 should be able to knock that out pretty quickly
:iconslave2karma:
A good way to keep updates on schedule is to start drawing the comic prior to posting it online, build up a buffer so you're a few pages ahead of every update (my favorite web comic artist does this and she's one of the only people I've seen who's NEVER late with an update).

And whatever way you chose to go, good luck to you! :hug:
ya i was thinking of that too. having 3 pages done before i even start posting, that way if something does come up the viewers arent left hanging
:icongaryjsmith:
garyjsmith Nov 12, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
The only person you can truly rely on is yourself. I say you should practice backgrounds and put the comic out on your own.

Having been in numerous groups, I can tell you they are always a horrible beast, especially without regular pay to keep them productive. Using them to talk over and brainstorm ideas is good but that's about it. Even with reliable members, you spend a lot of time waiting for someone else to finish their piece because everyone has different life circumstances.
ya thats the problem ive ran into in the past... hence why i think this time i would do a few 1 shot comics of like 2-4 pages tops just to determine if the person is actually reliable
you should see if you can condense your idea into a 3-panel comic. you'd be able to finish that in approx a day and would you have a basis for the rest of your strips/pages
not a bad idea, but i want to be able to have a team that can finish 1 page a week so i figured for a 1 month test 3-4 pages would be a good test
one a week would be insane between having to come up with the story, layout, roughs, pencils, inks, and then colors especially if you have different people doing backgrounds and characters. i'm not saying it couldn't happen but it'd be a full-time job
well a story is already done and most of the web comics i have seen that have 1 or 2 people doing them are pushing a page a week so i figured 3 people could hash one a week easy enough.
Add a Comment: