April 30, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 42

Commission Pricing Help?

:icontalondragon000:
TalonDragon000 Featured By Owner Apr 30, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Hey Everyone,

So, I've recently gotten into the swing of point commissions. I believe I started off at a fairly low price considering the amount of time I end up spending working on my commissions sometimes.

So, my prices are basically:

10 :points: head shot
20 :points: 1/2 to 3/4 body
30 :points: full body
+5 :points: per additional character
+5 :points: soft shading
+5 :points: simple background

So say, something like this would be considered 30 :points:

Am I underselling myself? I know this particular piece took me about two good days to finish. I'm also wondering if I should start offering paypal commissions, but I don't know if I'm good enough for that yet... Hmmm...

Thanks for the help! ^_^

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmetarex12:
Metarex12 Featured By Owner May 3, 2012  Student General Artist
All I can say is think of all the time and effort you put into the work and the overall quality. The minimum wage in the US is $8 per hour I think so if you should compare it to that. There's also the $1=80:points:. Seeing how a lot of people don't know about :points:, you can display the charge in dollar amount and provide a link to a point converter so the person can convert it themselves so they don't immediately think the prices are too high because they aren't.
TalonDragon000 Featured By Owner May 3, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
True... I don't want to intimidate people with the point conversion. o.o
:iconmetarex12:
Metarex12 Featured By Owner May 3, 2012  Student General Artist
Yeah. I think that's the best way so you don't get forced into doing work for such a ridiculously low price.
Mhm thanks! :)
:iconlucky101212:
Lucky101212 Featured By Owner May 3, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I don't know if this will help, but here is a link to my commissions page and you might be able to use it to help you set up your own: [link]

I think you should definitely work from $5-10 upwards. As has already been said, your prices are ridiculously low for the quality of your work.
Cool thanks for the advice.
Your clay art is so cute btw! :D
:iconlucky101212:
Lucky101212 Featured By Owner May 4, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
You're welcome and thank you :)
:iconmaan11j:
Maan11j Featured By Owner May 3, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I certainly would say for the portrait you just posted, $5 - $7
I wouldn't make it too expensive but definitely not as low as 10 - 30 :points:
Hmm.. yeah maybe I should start small with $5 for head shots and go up in $5 to $10 increments...
yeah, that's good.. I read the comments below, regarding $25 and such.
I wouldn't make it so low as 10 :points:
But don't make it so high as to no one will have an ability to buy it.
In a buyer's point of view, its easy to say i'd so buy it, but really think that its not worth it. Try to measure though how LONG it takes you to make ONE, cause it will really accumulate to you not having enough time and thinking what your getting payed with is not worth the time you spend on it.
Do trial and error, change them when you think you know your standard rate :D.
Mhm.. the tricky part is that I think I take freakishly long because I've been experimenting a lot. :P I should probably wait until I have a set way of drawing/coloring to get an idea of how long it would take for a style I'm comfortable with and the customers get consistancy. ^_^
yeah, I usually spend 6 hours on my chibis which are $3-5, at those times you'll realize if you need to raise it or not. but then do you treasure the time or the service? If someone keeps commissioning you from time to time, then you can assure yourself you can raise it and its probably gonna be fine. but there will be a point that its just too much, so it has to be gradual
So, Well no not really.. let the commission form pending and going so you can start with trying to cope with it too. better start early and prepare along with it :). That I think is the only way to find out your momentum with commissions, in taking actual commissions.
Anyways, good luck :D
Cool, thanks for the advice! :D
Maan11j Featured By Owner May 4, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
you're welcome :D
TalonDragon000 Featured By Owner May 2, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Okay, so I'm considering re-pricing my work and I'd like to get a better handle on my quality versus price.

Here is a commission I just sold for 10 :points:

Does anyone think it would be worth maybe $5 or $10 dollars instead?
:iconjerkules:
Jerkules Featured By Owner May 3, 2012
I think $10 would be a good starting price for something like that; maybe $15 at the most for whatever reason, like if the character is really complex or the they want a buncha fine details or something. I think that's a good price for something quick and easy and the commissioner just wants something simple and pretty for a nice low price!
Hmm cool thanks for your help! :D
:iconschieden:
Schieden Featured By Owner Apr 30, 2012
I have to agree with Chim and Jerkules here. With the Point/currency ratio (as stated with $1 being about 80:points:) as it is, you're woefully underselling your art here. You're really talented - you should be charging the likes of $25 for that portrait you mentioned earlier! I would say a thousand times over that is the true 'fair price' for such a piece, not 10:points:. And that Alistair drawing you linked to in the OP, 30:points: is so low, especially considering it took two days to finish. You deserve much more than 30 points for that! I agree when Chim mentioned 30 dollars for it - that's far more accurate, I'd say.

The state of artists' commission rates on dA is so sad to see these days. So many people undervalue their work! You need to see your art is really worth a lot more. I'm sure many other people will tell you the same! :aww:
Oh thank you!

I was really scared that these prices were actually too high ^^;
There's so many AMAZING artists on here. I'm all intimidated. :blush:
:iconchimeradragonfang:
ChimeraDragonfang Featured By Owner Apr 30, 2012
Yes, I would say you are DEFINITELY underselling yourself with those prices. Keep in mind that $1 = 80:points:, so at the moment you're charging the equivalent of 50 for a full-body drawing with shading and a background. That's not just "fairly low", that is ludicrously low. I'm in agreement with ~Jerkules up there: The Alistair piece should be more like 30 dollars, not 30 Points, and work similar to that Sesshomaru head shot is something for which I'd be willing to pay at least $10 to $15. (Had to go :+fav: it; I know basically jackshit about the character, but the drawing is just so pretty. :meow:)
Oh wow thank you so much (and thank you for the fave hehe :dance: )

I did wonder about that. If that's the case though I wonder if I should stop point commissions and just do paypal given if I raised the point prices to the dollar equivalent it would look rediculously high. ^^;
ChimeraDragonfang Featured By Owner Apr 30, 2012
PayPal, WePay or some other online payment option is probably a good idea. Then you're not limited to buying things only on dA. If you wanted to still do Points commissions, you could offer smaller things for a few hundred Points, like simple sketches or other small drawings that don't take too long to do.
Hmm.. I suppose offering comic commissions for these prices are too low then?

lineart: 10 points
colored: 20 points
shaded: 30 points
[per page]
and
+10 points after 2 characters

They take a while to do because they are a lot more dynamic.
ChimeraDragonfang Featured By Owner May 1, 2012
Yeah, that's... that's really low. An A4-sized fully inked/coloured/etc. comic page should be at least the same as an A4-sized inked/coloured/etc. full body drawing, and maybe even more, especially if the comic page is more detailed and more time-consuming. Thinking about prices in terms of dollars first, and then converting to Points instead of the other way around might give you a better idea of costs. Or look at how other comic artists price their work.
TalonDragon000 Featured By Owner May 1, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
How much do you think something like this would be worth?

It's not very detailed because it's just a personal project I'm working on. If it was a short comic commission I'd probably spend more time on it. This was a fairly quick piece to make. It still took a couple days (not hours wise, but in spirts within those days) because of the coloring.
ChimeraDragonfang Featured By Owner May 1, 2012
I don't think I'm quite the best person to ask for this. My own focus is more toward artisan crafts than drawing. You'd probably get better advice by talking to someone who does similar types of art. That said, I'd probably charge a bit more than for a standard full body drawing, because of the work involved in sequential art. Again, this isn't my personal area of expertise, art-wise.
Hmm.. okay. Thank you so much for your help. ^_^
Jerkules Featured By Owner Apr 30, 2012
I would personally look into Paypal (or some money exchange alternative like Amazon Payments, etc.). The point market is horrifically awful because 80 points equals $1 USD, so essentially whenever someone charges something like 30 bucks for a fully rendered drawing, all they're making is chump change. The amateur art market generally undersells themselves in general, but what most people ask for in points is just the worst of the worst, in my opinion!

The great thing about being an artist is you can always set your own prices. What do you think you're worth? Like for that Alistair drawing and other coloured pieces like that (single character coloured drawings), I believe you could easily start at $25+. The hardest thing will be selling yourself and getting yourself a market, but that's something you have to do regardless. xD
Oh wow. I didn't know it would be worth $25 0.0 Hehe

Would it be weird to have the point commissions the same, but also sell with regular money starting at $10 for head shots?
Given 80 :points: = $1 it would definitely be a lot cheaper to just buy with points. Unless I scrap the point commissions all together?
Technically I don't need points. I'm mostly saving up so I can buy art on DA or maybe save for future contests or something. :P
Jerkules Featured By Owner May 1, 2012
I definitely think you could do it!

And no, I don't think that would be weird at all! It could be handy for those who would maybe want different paying options, and like for you, it's a mean to support yourself in the community without having to break open the bank. :D If you want to have both methods, you could try converting your USD prices into points. ^_^ If you wanted to sell that Alistair painting for let's say, 30 bucks, with 1 USD = 80 points, then the price in points would be 2,400 points for someone who wanted to pay that way. There's actually a really nifty point to dollars converter that can do all the conversions really easily: [link] .
Thanks for the advice and support! I'll definitely look into it while considering my prices. :D
:iconkristennoelle:
KristenNoelle Featured By Owner Apr 30, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I think that's maybe a bit pricey, but it's what you want. I don't know tho, show me an example of a head shot, and then I can say if it's a good price or needs to be a little cheaper.
Here's one of my more popular head shots (mostly because it's Sesshomaru lol):

It would pretty much be a 10 :points: commission though because it's cell shaded instead of soft a shade.
Okay, yes I think 10 points it good, your pricing is fine :D
Cool thanks for the help :D
No problem! Omg, your art shouldn't be un-noticed, it's sooo good
Oh wow haha thanks so much! :hug: I still have a whole lot of learning to do, but that's what I love about being on DA. ^_^
I also don't diversify my art as much as I should. :P
I do have an anime project going on but so far I'm only on my second character. XD
Summer is coming up though so hopefully I get a whole lot more drawings in. :D
Okay, I'm curious, want to collaborate with me? Like we could do commissions together. We could do comics, you do the art and I do the words? Then we can make the points where it can be split in half?
--
Do you like that? If so, let's make an example so that people can see what we can do! And how much they should cost?
Oh tempting...
It's funny because I'm actually recruiting for a collab effort with my Dragon Age comic I'm working on.
It's just a bunch of friends/volunteers working together so it's not for profit or anything though. So far I have two definitely interested in color and shading and I'm actually still looking for someone to fill in the speech bubbles. :P

Dunno how into Dragon Age you are, but here's the link if you care to take a gander:
So far all the art work in this comic is done by me. We haven't divided the work load just yet.

If you really want it to be a for-profit thing though, I wouldn't mind being a partner with you.
The comic would pretty much look like the one in the thumbnail.

Here's the most recent page:
What do you think?

It would take a bit to do though so they'd have to know that it would take a while and probably be a bit more costly than a regular commission especially with the amount of pages it would take.

Why don't you send me a note and we can discuss details. :D
(1 Reply)
:iconroiyachan:
RoiyaChan Featured By Owner Apr 30, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
honestly im not sure because i dont do point commissions. Your art is interesting. its not my preferred style but i think you could start charging more when you build a bigger portfolio and work on the anatomy and positions a bit.
Yeah I definitely have to practice anatomy. I don't plan on updating my price list any higher than this until I really feel like it's worth it, but it's good to get a starting gauge. Thanks for the comment. :)
Add a Comment: