Happy Birthday, Microsoft!

(Repost from my journal entry on LiveJournal)

It was on this date today in 1975 that Microsoft was founded as a partnership between William Gates III and Paul Allen in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

When Microsoft was founded, it first developed and sold BASIC interpreters for the Altair 8080. It then rose to dominate the personal computer operating system market with MS-DOS in the 1980s followed by Microsoft Windows in the 1990s and beyond.

For more information on the history of Microsoft, read this Wikipedia article: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsof…

Microsoft came a long way from operating inside a garage in Albuquerque, New Mexico to becoming one of the biggest software giants in the world...headquartered in Redmond, Washington.

Happy birthday, Microsoft! :w00t::heart::party::cake:
Comments68
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Do you use a Mac or Linux?
If you hate Macs...I don't know what you'll like.
Wow. 40 years. 
Happy birthday, Microsoft.

Can't believe it's been 40 years since Microsoft was founded.  Where did all of that time go?
Can't believe it's been 40 years since Microsoft was founded.
Where did all of that time go?

It was mostly spent applying patches and updates.

You have 2,000,000 new updates available. Hypermind :faint: Oh no!
It was also spent trying to get attention from their biggest rival, Apple.
If I remember correctly, MS actually invested $150 million dollars in Apple in 1997 to keep Apple out of bankruptcy and to avoid a US government anti-trust lawsuit.

So it wasn't MS getting attention from Apple, it was MS saving Apple (and MS's own butt) and without that money, there likely would be no iProducts today.
Yeah, maybe they can stop dicking with my bluetooth and release a meaningful update that let's my use my headphones with my expensive computer again, rather than pissing on it because windows 8 has clear issues with normal bluetooth drivers.
What does that do?
It's a Linux distro. :XD:
I don't have linux though. Do you have linux? How does it work exactly?
I'm using Linux right now, Xubuntu 14.04 specifically. It's a different operating system. I find it often has better driver support out of the box than Windoze.
But what does it do?
View all replies
a meaningful update that lets me use my headphones

Windows 8.1 didn't even come with a media player. Now WTF is up with THAT!?
Oh that pissed my off too. I decided at one point to upgrade to a blueray drive, and then realized after, I don't have a media play that handles blue ray. VLC doesn't because of the right protection on the format, and cyberlink's software is worse than malware. And windows USED to have a solution, BUT didn't deliver to 8.1.

So my blueray drive was useless and I had to take it back. And I bought whiskey instead. 
I have a laptop that came with a CD/DVD drive and 8.1. without a media player because MS thought that everyone would be streaming movies/music instead of wanting to watch or listen to a DVD/CD. Suffice it to say that I was not amused.
I know, it was a very dumb oversight.