Praise Gay Marriage!

No, I'm not gay, myself. Let's lose the idea that one has to be, to support Gay Rights, and this is part of that. The ban on same sex marriage was one of the ways in which, while we're all supposedly equal, some of us were a bit less equal than everybody else, and not everybody likes to see life work that way.

Some of us feel that love should be for everybody who wants it, and that as a society, we should stop acting to undermine the relationships of those whom backward religious laws would condemn. As heterosexuals, we get to marry those we love, so why should homosexuals not be able to do the same, if they so wish? How do we bring ourselves to praise the willingness to commit and be faithful in our own relationships, while scorning the same in the relationships of others, and not see the contradiction in this?

I'm happy to report that in November of last year, my own home state of Illinois became one of the states to take the step of legalizing same sex marriages, becoming the 16th state in the US to do so. No, no untoward side effects yet, just a little more respect for people who shouldn't have had to fight so hard and so long to get it. 20 more states have since followed suit, Florida doing so at midnight, this Monday.

The current holdouts, at least according to this source: North and South Dakota, Nebraska, Missouri, Kentucky, Ohio, Michigan, Arkansas, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas.

Here's hoping they come around, too.
Comments120
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
yes let's praise it :D
I'm not homosexual myself but I eancourage it because love comes in many shapes and sizes :D
I'm glad TX isn't the last state to have a same-sex marriage. Sad circumstances, but it might help others in the long run. Hopefully.
Why not just praise love in general? :o

Marriage puts so many complications in place..
'Cause no one is really bigotted and hateful enough to be against the general notion of love. They find it easy to hate specific kinds of love though and that is worth standing up against.
Have you ever noticed how many more 20 year olds there are that feel that way than there are 30 year olds who do the same? Scary thing, isn't it? We grow up. We move on. We turn into people more like those parents of ours, who we're all so sure we're much too cool to ever turn into. Maybe the only thing that would be scarier would be imagining life if we never did anything like that.

Should the accident of birth, heredity, whatever that means that some of us feel drawn to members of the same sex instead of to members of the opposite sex mean that one isn't free to move on? 
Homosexuality has nothing to do with heredity. 
Apparently somebody disagrees with you, Aidan.

"Though the outcome of the "gay gene" debate is uncertain, the very fact of the debate is evidence of great change: The prevailing scientific view of the fundamental nature of homosexuality has undergone a signficant evolution in the last several decades. Where once the scientific and medical establishment maintained an unqualified belief that homosexuality was a form of psychological deviance, today a solid majority of psychiatrists and psychologists themselves believe in biological theories (genes, brain, prenatal chemistry) over environmental or psychological theories. More scientists are getting involved in this type of genetic research, although funding has not been keeping pace with the intensity of interest."

Psychiatrists are physicians. You are an actor, according to your own profile. If I wanted advice on how best to do an emotional memory exercise, maybe I'd come to you, but on this subject, I'll listen to a psychiatrist before I listen to you, as shockingly elitist as that might sound.
Just call me by username, please. 
It seems a bit weird to be called by my name by internet strangers. 

It's not environmental anymore than it's genetic. 
Again, what is the basis for your opinion, and why should the rest of us take it seriously? We'll go around like this one more time, and then I'll block you, unless you have something more to offer than an assertion.
EdenianPrince had already blocked me when I tried to reply, so I'll have to piggyback on my own comment to reply to this comment.

To EdenianPrince: Playing the broken record game doesn't make your assertion anything more than an assertion, Aiden, and it doesn't make you anything more than an actor, somebody whose opinion on this subject is worth nothing. It does, however, make you into a waste of time, so yes, I'm blocking you. Anybody who sees this exchange should have no trouble seeing why.
Block me then.
No one is stopping you. 

Homosexuality still isn't genetic. 
I love it in her and in me ;)
The best law they've passed since banning death penalty in Britain 
just saying, the pope does not follow the bible.
It's times like this when I have to ask myself...

:? Did Hitler support gay marriage?
Yes, let's ask the guy that sent queer people into concentration camps whether or not he supported gay fucking marriage.
"sent queer people into concentration camps"

Pretty sure that's not true
Where'd you learn history, Western Ukraine? It's well documented that homosexuals were rounded up and marked them with pink triangles: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecut…

Oh boy, I fear this generation something mighty...
What the fuck is wrong with you?
Diacraft is nothing more than a troll who relies on outdated science to back up his warped beliefs.

Best to leave him be.
Nothing's wrong with me, what's wrong with you?
Why not just put "Praise Marriage"? 
How about, because the legality of marriage between heterosexuals is not a recent development, and the legality of marriage between homosexuals is?

Note: EdenianPrince can be seen supporting the openly hateful Kowasaci elsewhere in this discussion, so his motives in asking this leading question might be less than pure.