Praise Nostalgia!

Isn't it always a beautiful moment that feeling washes over you?  After cleaning your room or space, you find a toy you played with years ago, or perhaps after Googling your old usernames, you find a YouTube video you liked back in 2006?  While you may have blown past all of that cheesiness in your childhood, there's still a light that flickers among the void of the past.  Cheers. :love:
Comments31
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Nicely put, could not have said it better myself. Praise nostalgia and the good moments that we all had as kids :)
Yes! Praise the nostalgia! I played on a swing set and went down a slide for the first time in I don't know how many years two days ago. It was fun! :)
With my avatar, I can't not comment here! 
Tis the season of childhood memories
All the old places.. movies.. music.. games.. praise nostalgia indeed. :heart:
Nope. Nostalgia is quite painful and uncomfortable.
That's cuz you spent your cub years in the circus :B
You couldn't possibly know whether that's true. :unimpressed:
I know everything, Jon Snow.
No you don't. :unimpressed:
Si, lo se todo, Juan Nieves.
Claro que no, y yo no sé quién es este tal 'Juan Nieves'. :unimpressed:
View all replies
I say the minimum amount of time that must pass between something and then feeling nostalgic for it is about 10 years. That's usually when it starts feeling like "a different place, a different time" enough to me to make me feel like it really was forever ago. But be warned, over-indulging in something nostalgic can make it seem like too modern of a memory again, thus killing the effect. As I have learned from abusing old games and songs I re-discovered years after first playing them. Now I still very much enjoy them - but the feeling of being taken right back to a world of cassette tapes, Pokemon Cards and total lack of smartphones is no longer present.

I can relate to the finding toys thing though. I wondered where most of my favourite toys went during a house move when I was maybe 11. I assumed they were lost and eventually got over it and forgot about them. Then at 14 I found them by accident while looking for something else. I went "OH MY GOD, THEY'RE STILL HERE!". Man it made me happy. Granted it was just a 3 year gap, but 3 years feels like forever when you're a kid. I still have those boxed away. As for the internet - I think the minimum time-frame for nostalgia can be reduced to as little as just 5 years, simply because things change and age a lot faster online than they do in real life. Stumbling across old pictures, videos or even comments from 5+ years ago is always amusing. I haven't had an online presence myself any earlier than 2006 though. I do remember spending earlier years watching stupid animations on AmishDonkey.com on the computers at school :rofl: I wasn't creative enough to think of anything else to do online pre-2006.
One of the things I miss the most are those TV shows which play actual (and maybe memorable) theme songs while showing the show's title.  Some of my favorites are:
>youtu.be/Xsgu2efvbC4
>http;//youtu.be/Uo94Z6Vm-gg
>youtu.be/US7lF31wDVM
>youtu.be/AMA7zFrbVxM
>youtu.be/6b0hGWDrE6A
Oh yes :nod: I miss the 90s. I get excited when I hear a song or see something from the 90s. Yeah I was born in the 80s, but most of my child years, teen years was in the 90s :P
Nostalgia is fantastic, though I think we're starting to appreciate it a little too much, especially people too young to be having "Nostalgia Bomb"-like flashbacks. I almost think it starts hindering "growing up" and moving on, but maybe that's just in SOME cases. In fact, I can think of several people who make their whole living being nostalgic and making reviews on that nostalgia. Some kind of critic of nostalgia...
Ahh yes, I have that whenever I see my old teenage bedroom again. Many great hours were spent there. :la:
Not to mention old toys, as you said. That's the best feeling ever!
Praise nostalgia indeed! It reminds me of this song I came upon that played a decade ago, almost...how time flies indeed. :nod:
It feels like the best thing in the world when I can go back and look at what I've accomplished while ignoring what I regret doing.
Better yet, to have no regrets. :dummy:

I agree with you on that. It's good to look back and self-reflect at times...but not too often.