Praise for Visceral Games/EA Redwood

Creators of Dead Space, and man do they love their work. The fact they take so much care and consideration and have done so well despite circumstances against them... it's amazing unto itself. I'm glad that they exist, and I hope Dead Space 3 sells enough for them to continue making the best thriller-survival games that I've ever played.
Comments24
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Dead Space 2 is pretty fun to play. Not scary, obviously, but it's fun enough.

And the games have a... cool story, I guess? I dunno, I barely focus on it.
The gameplay is why I keep coming back, it's definitely never been scary. I never really had much hope for it as a narrative but the final acts of Dead Space 2 and Dead Space 3 always somehow seem to make up for crappily handled starting points. Maybe the writers for DS2/DS3 suck at writing begins? I know I've had similar issues.
I dunno, the intro to 2 was pretty crazy. The dude necromorph'd right in front of your face, and Isaac headbutts the thing!
I'm referring more to the overarching narrative, like how everything from chapters 1-7 are essentially everything we saw in Dead Space 1, just sped up and remixed in hopes that someone wouldn't notice. Whereas after we're done with Daina, Ellie and Stross become key figures and the entire narrative changes tone and focus. If they really wanted first a Unitologist angle then a fight for survival angle, I would have just taken Dead Space mobile, fleshed it out a bit, and make the game have two separate campaigns that, while both being shorter, could then allow for drastically different tones and focuses.
Bleh. I just play the games. I hardly focus on stuff like that.
Yeah... I'm one of those people who writes the stuff you ignore.
Hey man, I don't mean ignoring story, I meant... whatever you were talking about.

I don't remember.
View all replies
Thriller-Survival my fucking ass. I've played Dead Space 1 and 2 in the dark and wasn't even creeped out. They're generic cash cows that have decided to strip themselves of the "horror" elements that made them at least sonething different as far as blockbuster tripe from EA goes and simply turn into another generic 3PS with spess mareens in bulky armor fighting spidery aliens.

Fuck EA and anyone who's sewn to the company. They are a cancer killing the games industry with their unartistic, uncreative horseshit. Battlefield and Dead Space are like disco, blatant commercial whores selling themselves to stockholders an ignoring pleas from actual consumers, symptoms of the greater problem of corporate greed tainting the industry.

Basically, EA products taint the games industry as disco tainted the music industry, with stockholders demanding as much crap as possible while they can profit rather than better games. EA has created many of the negative trends in modern gaming. Games published by EA slaves feature abuse of quicktime events, generic, soulless soundtracks, boring gameplay, and pay-to-play multiplayer, all of which have spread throughout the industry.

I just hope shitheads like you will realize just how much EA is crippling the industry, and like me vow to never buy an EA product if he can help it. Do not fund their corrupt corporate empire.
Goodness, that sure was mean.
Bastard corporations piss me off.
Well, yeah, I gathered that, and I hate EA too, but still.
You see, I would respond to that, but you're just going to call me a worshiper of EA. I never said I was a fan of EA. Also, I never said Dead Space was scary. I never was scared in the least. And you realize that most of what you're complaining about in Dead Space 3 is what I'd describe Aliens the movie as?

But like I said, you're probably not even listening, so have a nice day and try to take your trolling somewhere else, thank you.
It's very unfortunate that they're stuck with EA, though.
I'll tolerate it so long as EA doesn't ax the studio. As annoying as they are, EA's the reason Visceral has as much support and money as they do.
I think they have enough support to leave and fend for themselves. It's just a question of who owns the IPs and such, or if it even matters.
I'd love it if they could, so long as they could stay afloat. I think they are working on something semi-independently with Guerrilla (Killzone devs), so maybe they're planning on that for the future.